Santa Cruz Biotechnology Reviews in San Luis Obispo, CA | Glassdoor

San Luis Obispo, CA Area

1.5
John Stephenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and free food days 3 times a month (in 24 reviews)

• Good work life balance (work exactly 8 hrs a day) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no raises, just more work (in 17 reviews)

• Everything revolves around the raise freeze (in 13 reviews)

1. "Lab Assistant review for the Mono lab"

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time

Pros

SCBT is a great starting point for any ones career. The interview process is not too intimidating and movement within a lab is rather easy.
    My advice would be to get into one of the labs and try to spend about a year working in every subgroup within the lab.
    For example, I started off making the buffers for the lab for about a year, then worked the purification, then moved into the QC group, then worked in the R&D group then finally ended my career at this company in a specialized QC group. So in 5 years I covered a huge range of experiences.
    However, i will not that not all labs are set up like this and labs like CC and poly-clonal have everyone doing the same thing. For those applying to these labs, spend a year or so there then try to move to another lab (ex hybridoma, CC, SiRNA etc)

Basically, the best part of the job is you can build your resume nicely for the next job.

vacation was good and sick time was good, but sometimes getting management to approve the time off can be difficult.

Cons

Management. A number of the top managers can be abrasive or have micromanagement tendencies.

continuous production: you will never be ahead in your work. There is always something else that needs to be done. This can get stressful. Its sometimes hard knowing that you can always fall behind but never actually be head in your work.

Advice to Management

Avoid the Ready, Fire, Aim mentality.

2. "It's experience"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are pretty good keeping the day from being too monotonous. Some management seems to know what they are doing.

Cons

Some of the management seems to have gotten their positions just because they've been with the company for a long time. Inefficient leaders in inventory. Some employees still around that I'm surprised haven't been weeded out.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight and actually pay your employees that work fair pay. Don't make it easier on lazy and incompetent workers by throwing their work at the good ones. You're burning your best employees out and fast.

3. "Don't waste your time unless you need a flexible schedule."

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free food. Good coworkers. Flexible if you're in school, can nearly pick your hours. Easy work.

Cons

Ownership and Santa Cruz Management. Micromanaging goes on, all the time.

Advice to Management

The entirety of the culture and attitude need to change. People don't like working for you. They're there because they need a job, and you don't even pay well.

4. "Good part time job"

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time

Pros

Very flexible with school schedule. Management provided many opportunities to learn and apply new skills. Chance to carpool with co workers.

Cons

Unfortunately the location is far from cal poly San Luis Obispo which is where most employees live however flexible with schedule to beat traffic.

5. "Got laid off at Santa Cruz Biotech"

Former Employee - Laboratory Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with class schedule, minimal direct supervision, fairly easy lab work to complete, laid back environment in the lab

Cons

Non ethical business practices, pay minimum wage, move you to a different lab area if they don't like you instead of solving the problem

Advice to Management

Make your business practices and treatment of your animals that are used more humane. If you do this you wouldn't be charged by USDA for animal abuse issues.

"It's less like working at the Wal-Mart of biotech, and more like working at Wal-Mart."

Former Employee - Research Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Relatively lax workload, depending on where you end up
    -Potentially flexible hours

Cons

-There are no raises, just more work.
    -Unbelievably cheap owner/management means you'll be working with outdated/broken equipment.
    -You'll be threatened with your job if results aren't what management expects even if there is clear evidence it's not your fault.
    -The entire company's equipment is maintained by one in-house handyman, so if something important breaks expect your department to shut down until he can fly out to fix it.
    -Few people with advanced degrees, so very little actual scientific knowledge at the company. There are two people with PhDs and their sole purpose is making sure the company makes money.
    -Many illegal practices (often feels like working in the mafia) and there's a don't ask, don't tell policy when it comes to company business. Management will become irate if you ask too many questions.
    -These same illegal practices have led the company to be sued by the USDA, they are in court at the moment and will potentially to lose their sales license.
    -Management will deliberately lie to you as is company policy. Decisions are made by the owner on whim and kept from employees until management decides to break the news. Oh you have a degree in molecular biology? We don't need biologists any more so effective immediately you're making dog food.
    -It's company policy to not provide references to current employees. They also don't provide letters of recommendation, which is extremely ironic considering they require two letters of recommendation and three references to get hired.
    -An extreme amount of nepotism at the company. Half of the employees are related. If you're not related or married to someone higher up, don't expect a promotion.
    -Because of their legal troubles at home, the company is moving abroad to Canada as White Pine Supply Corporation. They've also moved some operations to China.

Advice to Management

Try finding another job instead of trying to make John's ridiculous money-making ideas work. You don't owe him anything and your life will be better for it.

"lab technician"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Paso Robles, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Paso Robles, CA

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology (More than a year)

Pros

About half of my co-workers are really fun and nice to work with. Use this place as a way to get experience and save money. Company does have bluesheild insurance with dental and eye sight, and after working for a year you get a 401K.

Cons

Well, the other half of my co-workers are kinda mean and don't work that hard which just burdens the others. Upper management is terrible, can't seem to get anything useful done on time. I do believe they are trying, but they are so unorganized that it is just a terrible work environment. absolutely no career advancement, guy I work with gets below 20 and hour and he has been working here for 8 years, and he manages a major lab section.

"Not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, occasional free food. Managers can be pretty decent and fair if you get on their good side.

Cons

CEO that expect too much. Everyone was worked to death and working non-stop, and still the CEO / Managers demanded more. The "raise freeze" was complete farce, since during the holiday party the CEO told us the "company has never been more profitable." This was a month after everyone had their raises frozen. There is also no room to move up. There is your job, and then your manager. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Please talk some sense to the CEO to treat the employees better. I understand this is an entry level position, but don't you want your employees to like the job even a little? I would also try to improve the quality of your product, because the reputation of your products in the scientific community is not good.

"Lab Assistant"

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great for students of Cal Poly. Understanding of varying finals schedules and/or midterms. Able to make up hours on the weekends when necessary. Working with people in their 20's.

Cons

Making up hours is MANDATORY. Not good pay for what the job is. Have to work in -20 degree freezers most of the time, which is miserable. No one is that motivated and managers are lazy, rude and unwilling to help.

"It is what it is"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

Pros

Everyone's experience with this company is similar, but it definitely varies by department. Depending upon the department, you can have some variability in terms of lab techniques you will be in charge of mastering. For example, in the Hybridoma Department you may start working on the Microarray Team, but after a year, move to the Cell Fusion Team. Of course you can almost never switch departments, so once you start in a department, that is likely where you will stay. The gist of this that you will get experience, you will most likely not enjoy your immediate supervisor (unless you are in the Monoclonal Department) and you will be looking for other opportunities upon the first six months of arriving. If you stay long enough you have a shot at starting as a level 2 research associate at another company, but most likely this will just serve as your check mark for "at least one year of professional experience preferred" for the next job you apply to.

Cons

Everything revolves around the raise freeze. This is an all encompassing decision that leads to some of the worst moral I have ever witnessed in terms of motivating team members to put in great work. Because of this, there is a constant disconnect between management and hourly employees. Management will sometimes say that raises are on the way, but that is just posturing to appease people that ask for said raises. At the same time, this could be seen as a positive thing; by the fact that you rarely see people being 'let go' and you have no stress in terms of performance. I know that has a negative spin to it, but it also allows a relatively stress free work environment knowing that in order to get fired, you would have to do some tremendously heinous things for that to be granted. And since there are no raises for high performers, you can do the bare minimum or even less than that and still make just as much as your coworker that is attempting to build a stairway to heaven. And you'll still be making the same even after that stairway is completed.

Advice to Management

For management, or rather the ones who have stayed this long in a bad situation. Complacency is a dangerous thing. It is comfortable. It is the easy road to travel. I understand that you enjoy the pleasures of not doing anything all day. I understand that there is very little you are actually 'in control of.' (Because John or senior management won't allow changes to be made no matter the circumstance). It is time to ask yourself: why am I still here? Why am I still working for someone that has shown that I am worthless. Just as worthless as the person they will replace me with after I am gone. Why am I still coming into a workplace where I have to consistently lie to my employees about the raises and following strict protocol and doing a good job?

Why don't you people decide to move on to better companies like the majority of the people that enter? This would actually show the owner that this place isn't able to take advantage of people anymore. Yes, even you managers are getting taken advantage of, and it amazes me how you guys still go through the meaningless motions every day. But I can also understand the complacency. When you meet these people you will see it right away; you will see why they have stayed so long.