Santander Consumer USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Santander Consumer USA President and CEO Scott Powell
Scott Powell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 23 reviews)

• Unprofessional leadership, they do not value employees, no work life balance (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, Benefits, and Pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Santander Consumer USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved every bit of working at Santander and I wish they would hire me back, I came to work did what I was supposed to do and more, overall experience with them is a 10

Cons

I disliked the day that my entire team was split up and we got a new manager

May 18, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Specialist II

Thank you for your positive review. We are glad you had a good work experience with us and we hope to continue to make Santander Consumer USA a great place to work.

"Product Owner"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Santander Consumer USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

IT can be volatile at times with management changing direction quickly.

3. "Takes care of their employees"

Former Employee - Loan Accounting Specialist in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Loan Accounting Specialist in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Santander Consumer USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management. They care about their employees with free lunches, paying for your family to go to six flags, free company shirts.

Cons

Sometimes they feel too big and you may get lost in the sea of ppl working there. Training may not be as structured.

Apr 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist II

4. "The "Great" Juggling Act..."

Current Employee - Impound Representative in North Richland Hills, TX
    Current Employee - Impound Representative in North Richland Hills, TX

I have been working at Santander Consumer USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I must begin by saying that I enjoy the work I do in the impound department. It keeps me busy and makes the day go by fast. It is stimulating to experience the different impound situations with our customers and help the company mitigate loss.

Cons

However, it is extremely difficult to enjoy the work I do and also maintain the level of focus I need to make the best decisions for the company within my role. The impound department, or Santander Consumer USA is poorly structured across the board. They put us in precarious situations that causes us to feel overworked, underpaid, defeated, and etc. For example, we have many thorough processes we have to follow while at the same time, we have to take inbound phone calls, train new employees, go to pointless meetings, do paperwork, and juggle many other tasks while trying to meet a shortsighted metric system that is responsible for measuring our performance. Even if we finish all of our accounts in our lists, they reward us with more work. It is nothing wrong with more work, but we are working accounts for other struggling colleagues that either lack the skills necessary to be a responsible impound representative, or people that leave the department every other month. In my first 4-5 months in the impound department, I have seen "many" valuable people quit or moved to other departments to escape the headache. Not only on a representative level, but there have been some leadership movement within impounds as well. We had two "useless round-table" meeting about our struggles in the impound department so they can fix issues, but nothing productive ever came from those meetings and the leaders that held the meeting eventually left the impound department. We never know what is truly going on at SC until we see it in the news.

SC is always struggling to find it’s true identity and culture. I believe we realized it was hard to live up to our old core values (Our People, Performance, Excellence, Fiscal Responsibility, Respect, Service, and Entrepreneurship) so we decided to change it. Yet, we still can’t live up to our new core values which are being simple, personal and fair because we are just stuck in our old "private" company ways that will eventually lead digital darwinism or being brought out by a more successful company that can manage accounts better. There is no solid future here. I used to take this company and my job seriously, but lost heart trying to fight my way out of a sinking ship. It is time to move on to a better company. I would not recommend this place to any one unless you have no personal career goals. You will never be successful here unless you know someone that can get you through the buddy system. When you have all the wrong people in important positions, you get a company like Santander Consumer USA.

Advice to Management

Revamp everything from the ground up. Change your old ways. We should have stayed a private company instead of going public, because we can't handle the pressure. Don't make your hard working employees suffer for the company's bad decisions.

5. "work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Santander Consumer USA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

able to bonus, great company that rakes care of employees, many opportunities to advance within company

Cons

phone work, debt collecting, angry customers, monotonous work

Advice to Management

none

6. "Great company years ago."

Former Employee - Originations in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Originations in Dallas, TX

I worked at Santander Consumer USA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unique niche, great 401k, anchored market share. Ability to transition to prime long term. Company has good bones and is structured for continued growth.

Cons

Carousel of leaders, instability, reactionary decision making at the executive level. Profitability is crucial, but leadership lost the people. Lack of engagement. Recently, they’ve lost their culture and what made Santander a great place to work. Truly unfortunate as they’re falling behind compared to other competitors that play in their space.

Advice to Management

Take a deep breath and look around. People aren’t happy, put in the work and dig in to find out the why. Then come up with solutions and drive positive change. You can fix this place - but your leaders have to show (and prove) that they care. Staff up a bit so your people aren’t so overworked, your net margins will be fine. It’s worth it.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Collections Accounts Manager in North Richland Hills, TX
    Current Employee - Collections Accounts Manager in North Richland Hills, TX

I have been working at Santander Consumer USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staying current with the industry changes.

Cons

Still hope they introduce a more open tuition reimbursement benefits program.

"Executive"

Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Santander Consumer USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Initially the people were a positive. However given the number of resource changes and the new engagement model, there are no pros to working for this organization.

Cons

The number is concerns are plentiful. There are too many organizational changes including several CEOs in an short period of time. The consistent flow of new executive leadership impacts moral, creates further instability and limits growth and progress towards improvements. The location is a challenge and the organization does not promote work life balance. Please do not consider working for this company, they do not value their employees.

Advice to Management

Consider internal talent prior to hiring externally. Take the time to identify competent executive leadership, select a strategic approach and commit without material change to the plan. Improve and increase communication to employees. Provide clear direction on career path.

Apr 4, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist II

Thank you for your review. We will take your advice into consideration as we move forward.

"Can't possibly recommend for any software/IT due to downsizing"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Santander Consumer USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Generally great people to work with
    - Good bonuses, benefits
    - Management is proactive about giving promotions
    - Lots of room for career changes

Cons

- Their IT department is literally vanishing due to cost-cutting
    - Highly developed, but outdated tech stack
    - Relies on a third-party contractor and black box technology for their data endpoint
    - Office floor plan lends itself to some irritating noise interference if you're not using headphones
    - Base salary for most developer positions are a bit underpaid, but bonuses are good to compensate for some of it

Advice to Management

You shouldn't just chuck out all of that expertise and proprietary tech you worked on to this point, even though it's an investment. Please make an effort to understand the value of a good software product developed in-house; it's one of the best ways to make yourself stand out from the competition. It's unfortunate because SCUSA was close to being a great place to work if only a few different decisions were made.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in North Richland Hills, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in North Richland Hills, TX

I have been working at Santander Consumer USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive about working for this company.

Cons

The benefits are awful. They don't want to give you raises. Micromanaged