Sanzaru Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Sanzaru Games Reviews

5.0
Glen Egan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best studio I've ever been a part of"

I have been working at Sanzaru Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Focused, proactive, and wise leadership who make well-informed decisions with full transparency.

No micromanaging. You're given a task and leadership puts it's full trust in you to manage your time and complete it efficiently at a high quality.

Very fun projects for the most part.

Extremely talented employees, very helpful and fun to collaborate with. Most are experienced industry veterans. Working with such talented people encourages a healthy spirit of competition and inspiration to make the most awesome stuff you can.

Small sized studio and doesn't feel corporate whatsoever.

Small teams per project and fully transparent meetings where your voice and ideas are always heard and considered. I've never felt as big a part of a team as I have here.

Deadlines are usually very reasonable, and if you manage your time properly you will rarely crunch. The few times I have stayed late is because I wanted to, not because someone asked or demanded me to.

Snacks, catered lunches on Fridays, and dinner on nights when milestones are coming up if people choose to stay late.

Studio itself is a very nice and relaxing place to work.

Fun parties and events. All around fantastic studio culture.

Generous holiday vacation time.

Cons

Benefits and pay could be better considering cost of living in the Bay Area.

Could have some healthier snack options and healthier catered lunch options.

A lot of projects going on at once means a good chance of being reassigned to a different project. This could be considered a pro or con based on what you end up working on.

The new studio layout is cubicles, which lends to more productivity but causes less interaction.

Advice to Management

Keep upholding the great studio culture that already exists and keep hiring awesome people that will continue to evolve the studio in a positive direction.

"As good as it gets!"

I have been working at Sanzaru Games full-time

Pros

Flat structure that allows more creative freedom.
    Most employees are industry seniors.
    Awesome projects with a focus on fun and emphasis on quality.
    Most of the employees are gamers.
    Super mature and competent management who acts decisively and with total transparency.
    Almost zero micromanagement.
    A feeling of family, and great studio culture.
    Minimal crunch and sane hours.

Cons

The flat structure means there is some excess pressure on leads, who often end up crunching at the end of milestones.
    Benefits and salaries could be better.
    Not a super diverse employee body, but it's starting to change.
    Because of the flat structure, it feels like opportunities for career growth within the studio are limited.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring people who are invested and maintain the transparency we have had so far. Don't grow too big or stretch your employees too thin with too many projects.

3. "Working at Sanzaru Games was one of the best professional experiences I had in the Video Game industry!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sanzaru Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An independent Video Game Developer with a passion for the games it makes and the people who work to create the games.

Cons

An independent Game Developer that at the time was doing work for hire and did not own its own IP. Once a project got canceled the studio is immediately affected by downsizing dramatically.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to develop and own your own game IP that can fuel the wonderful talent that is Sanzaru Games

4. "Best Experience of My Career"

Former Employee - Animator in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Animator in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sanzaru Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Phenomenally talented, motivated, and collaborative team. No producers, which means a direct line between those on top and those on bottom. Open creativity, with all ideas heard and considered. Great parties. Dinner on long nights. Incredibly fun projects.

Cons

Cost of living, which meant commuting for a lot of us.

Advice to Management

Continue with the spirit of collaboration; that is what made Sly the best game it could possibly be!

5. "Dream Job"

Former Employee - Technical Artist in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Artist in Foster City, CA

I worked at Sanzaru Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Founders are true experts in their fields who value transparency and the well-fare of the staff. They are very careful to hire great people who will foster a healthy and creative environment. Also, snacks!

Cons

Due to being a small, 3rd party developer, they are prone to the whims of publishers. However, as their reputation grows, this will change.