Sapient Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

3.9
Sapient President & CEO Alan J. Herrick
Alan J. Herrick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture & work life balance" (in 62 reviews) (in 69 reviews)

• Work culture is good if you work in Sapient office (in 109 reviews)

Cons

1. "Drink in the coolaid..."

Current Employee - Director Technology in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director Technology in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Sapient full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love the highly motivated people that work here. People who work here are the best the industry has to offer. There is allot of emphasis on client delivery and adding value to clients

Cons

can be an environment where only the fittest survive. There are plenty of opportunities, however with that comes an unhealthy work life balance. Be prepared to put ~50-60 hours as your new baseline. Risk of burn out can be high on certain projects.

Advice to Management

listen to employees and how they view the organization. Share organizational change with employees. Improve hiring and look for people with skills that match the staffing profiles on projects.

2. "good experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sapient full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment and good people.

Cons

Low pay, no room to grow.

"contractor vs full-time employee"

Former Contractor - Interactive Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Contractor - Interactive Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sapient as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Tech leaders are a great source of knowledge, office layout allows people to communicate more, fast pace development, use of new technologies, nice facilities.

Cons

My experience at Sapient was great until I tried to convert from contractor to a full-time employment. If I would have converted to a full time employee, I would have cut my paycheck by ~30%, also management will tell you that contractors are the same as full time employees, but truly speaking; there are a lot of differences. At the time I was working as a contractors, other 3 people left because of the same issue, paycheck cut. I would recommend you to have all those conversations up front and save those emails for a near future when Sapient tries to convert you to a full time employee.

"Lovely people and good work."

Current Employee - Developer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Sapient full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful and very competent and engaged
    Ideal culture and humble management
    Great benefits
    Unlimited sick days
    Interesting work
    Good balance

Cons

Parking is expensive! Twenty words are required so I'll say the very close parking garage can be expensive!! Parking parking!

Advice to Management

None, great so far

"Young, well run company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

Pros

The culture of the company is great- it's young, they care about their employees, and in my experience, nobody really acts like the level of their position- whether you're a manager, director, or junior associate. Sapient definitely works on inculcating this in their employees.

There's a lot of great exposure to government facilities, since Sapient works directly with government clients, so a great way to make connections for the future.

Cons

There's a pretty big salary discrepancy between the IT folks and other project managers and business consultants. I can't directly attest to this, because I worked as a contractor, and the salary was not dictated directly by Sapient. However, I was only make 21/hour without benefits, and I'm sure Sapient could have leveraged this a little. Other people I know at this position level hired directly by Sapient were in at around $60,000, which is likely comparable across the DC area. However, Sapient doesn't seem to convert most contractors until the 1 year mark, and with a low salary and lack of benefits, it seems to unreasonable to expect most contractors to want to stay too long- leading to high turnover.

Management could also have been a bit better

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Sapient full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, work/life balance, culture, autonomy, open work space, beer cart Thursday's

Cons

some things can be met with resistance

7. "Great place to work!"

Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sapient as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Loved the open environment and collaborative culture. The people are friendly, fun, and value work-life balance. You can really tell they love their employees.

Cons

I hear the salary starts out high but doesn't progress much after that.

Advice to Management

Need more opportunities for people growth.

"Sapient Government Services review"

Current Employee - Senior Associate of Technology Level II in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate of Technology Level II in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Sapient (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Non-typical government contractor where you feel really connected to the company and to the Sapient way of doing projects, as opposed to just being a butt in a seat on a contract somebody has won
    - Very smart and fun colleagues who are very willing to share knowledge
    - Salary and bonus was good
    - The ability to take a different career path is open as long as there is billable work to be done

Cons

- Like any consulting firm, much of like depends on if you get on a good or not-so-good project
    - There is a bit of a wall between the commercial and government sides of the house and you don't really get to work on a lot of commercial stuff except in rare cases, especially on the tech side (a bit more cross-pollination for the creatives). If you are interested in doing both kinds of things, be aware of this

"Great culture, lots of changes, all about people"

Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sapient full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture encourages collaboration over competition. Great place to start a career. Unlimited sick days. Casual dress. I would definitely consider working there again.

Cons

Staffing practices are very back-door and sometimes disillusioning to junior staff (like me).
    The team/project you end up on rules your experience. I had a great experience before getting staffed on an unfriendly team.

Advice to Management

Don't get comfortable, always look for ways to improve. In my time there I could see leadership becoming complacent and missing the big picture. Retaining junior staff will be critical to the future of the company as veterans start to retire.

"Great opportunities but work-life balance is an issue"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Sapient full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked on challenging projects and learned a great deal in just a few years. Very open culture, not much backstabbing. A fairly young demographic, which you can view as a pro or a con. Work hard play hard. Many opportunities for career growth and they allow people to maintain flexible schedules as long as the work gets done. The company is full of smart people who want to do their best. No one is dialing it in. From a compensation standpoint they have been quite generous. I like the culture and appreciate all the opportunities that they have provided for me to learn and grow professionally.

Cons

Work life balance is consistently an issue. Again and again, I have been tasked with doing too much work in too little time. Everyone I know has been in this situation, which seems to get worse the higher up you go. I don't know if this is due to staffing, planning, management trying to cut corners or another issue. Some people say "That's the nature of consulting" but I see some avoidable situations.

The open office environment is a mixed bag--great for team collaboration but also distracting at times.

We are in the process of being acquired by another company so there are unknowns regarding how the company will be organized and run in the future.

Advice to Management

Staff projects appropriately and provide more transparency into the process. Provide more opportunities for the people on the delivery side to review proposals before they go out the door. Gain a better understanding of what the creative people do--so that you can handle staffing better and also make the best decisions for organizational structure during the acquisition.

Showing 35 of 1,469 reviews