Sapient Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sapient President & CEO Alan J. Herrick
Alan J. Herrick

Pros
  • Great culture & work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Good work culture, great team spirit (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not very good (in 307 reviews)

• In most of the projects there is no work life balance but the leadership tries to fix it (in 69 reviews)

"Great digital strategy and implementation firm with a very insular management culture."

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sapient full-time

Pros

There are smart, committed people here that know their space. There is also a substantial breadth to the type of work they deliver.

It's a data-driven firm that tries, and for the most part succeeds, at intersecting digital, systems integration, IT strategy, digital strategy, and client management discipline.

Cons

Below market salaries. Sapient pays 10-20% below market consistently. Sapient asks you to "buy into" their culture and markets that as a key differentiator. Having worked at multiple consulting firms in my career, I don't buy this argument. Pay your people what they're worth. Have a great culture, and that's a good retention tool, but pay them their value.

Management is insular. There is definitely an "us" - long-time Sapienters who were there from the early days, and a "them" - new people to the culture. As someone who was a director-level at Sapient, there were many times that you felt left out or dismissed because you weren't here in those early days. In a word: hubris.

Advice to Management

Open up. The management here is "inbred" - there is not much in the way of new thinking. They are NOT open to new ideas from the "new guard'...and they shouldn't fear it or dismiss it. Points on the marketing of openness, but points deducted for the reality of it.

"contractor vs full-time employee"

Former Contractor - Interactive Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Contractor - Interactive Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sapient as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Tech leaders are a great source of knowledge, office layout allows people to communicate more, fast pace development, use of new technologies, nice facilities.

Cons

My experience at Sapient was great until I tried to convert from contractor to a full-time employment. If I would have converted to a full time employee, I would have cut my paycheck by ~30%, also management will tell you that contractors are the same as full time employees, but truly speaking; there are a lot of differences. At the time I was working as a contractors, other 3 people left because of the same issue, paycheck cut. I would recommend you to have all those conversations up front and save those emails for a near future when Sapient tries to convert you to a full time employee.

"Ugh it was a lousy experience"

I worked at Sapient full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It managed to evolve and excel over a long period of time. You have to give the credit to the top leadership who was in charge all those years.

Cons

on the ground, pretty toxic culture. my guess is it takes a strong middle management layer to carry on the good spirit of an established company. that wasn't the case at Sapient. lots of aspirational young kids and a few extremely good leaders at the very top. If you don't belong to either group, it is hell.

"The pay is great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Sapient full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Sapient was the paycheck.
    There are also some very smart and talented people you have opportunities to work with.

Cons

They tout Openess as a cultural value, but it is quite the opposite. Never express any opinion to or in front of "leadership" that is contrary to the positive spin they put on everything. VERY political and judgmental environment where everything you do is under constant intense scrutiny. You need a thick skin to work here.

"Was Great - Then Publicis Showed Up"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Sapient full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated people who really enjoyed their work. Everyone was on a mission to do their best work. Many managers gave you great freedom to explore new things within your group or even shadow other people outside of your group.

Cons

Then Publicis purchased us and management was completely duped. Leaders within Sapient are smart, but have grown up in an agency world of smoke and mirrors. Leadership meetings rarely showed any growth targets, strategy of how we were going to get there, or even how well we did in the past quarter. It was as if the artsy kids were in charge of the business school.

Then Publicis showed up with a big smile, but they wanted numbers with tight deadlines. The Sapient leadership was still showing them decks of pretty pictures without a number to be found. So the cuts came. Leadership still didn't have a clue and continued to show their pretty decks. Publicis was unimpressed and demanded more cuts. Then the Publicis auditors showed up to make sense of it all.

Advice to Management

Good luck. You are in over your heads. Look around at what happened to Digitas and Razorfish.

7. "Life at Sapient"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sapient (Less than a year)

Pros

- Technically sound firm
    - Package is competent in the industry

Cons

- Bad work life balance

Advice to Management

Please don't look at your employees as Machines

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Technology in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Technology in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sapient full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture
    Great Opportunities to grow

Cons

Worst compensation in the market
    Some bad leaders are spoiling the name
    Need a godfather to survive

Advice to Management

Make your rules applicable to everyone. When it comes to promotions there is a great disparity between deserving vs ones having godfathers

9. "Senior Associate Business Operations"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Sapient full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very smart hardworking people, potentially interesting opportunities to take advantage of if you have the right person to go to bat for you.

Cons

No clear growth path, poor management, fragmented culture

"Associate Technology L1 - Fresher"

Pros

Friendly work culture. Good overseas opportunities.

Cons

Difficult to progress unless you suck up to management.
    Terrible work/life balance.

"Keeps trying to reinvent itself. Sort of works."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sapient full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, mostly interesting work, some amazing work

Cons

Poor communication, bad environment for women, not clear how to get promoted, pat themselves on the back all the time rather than looking at what they could do better. Lots of tension between creatives and techs.

Advice to Management

Talk to your people. Learn from them. That means more than letting people know they can "email you any time." They won't.

Showing 163 of 1,328 reviews