Sapphos Environmental Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 8, 2017

1.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marie Campbell

"Walking on broken glass is less painful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Sapphos Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful benefits. Wide variety of projects, clients, and jobs to work on.

Cons

Extremely high turn over rate, average employee tenure with company less than five years, average age of employees mid twenties.

The standard method of operations with regards to human resources is:

1. hire educated, experienced, and talented people at a salary above industry standard,
    2. demand 100 percent loyalty and dedication of them through guilt and manipulation,
    3. when it is perceived they are unable to perform their work at this unrealistic level of perfection, arbitrarily and capriciously humiliate, belittle, abuse, ridicule, and strongly encourage them to leave,
    4. after they have left the company belittle and ridicule their performance to their peers and Sapphos clients,
    5. repeat the process with next hire.

Senior management team of 10 reduced to 5 in less than two years. See number 3 above.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat employees with respect.

2. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the technical staff and managers are wonderful to work with and we work on some very interesting and exciting projects

Cons

Everyone is far too micro-managed –there will be a meeting about something that is immediately followed up by a phone call, an email, and another scheduled meeting all restating exactly what was just discussed. (This is the case for every scenario.)

The role will quickly spiral into one that encompasses 2 or 3 different full-time jobs, but they will not hire anyone to help you or increase your salary.

There is no possible way that all of the work that there is can be completed in a normal 40 hour workweek –there is at least 50 hours of work to be done every single week.

There is zero room for growth, advancement, or a raise that isn’t like being spit in the face.

Upper management openly bashes good, current and former staff on a near daily basis –especially those who are not comfortable pushing back or saying “no” to them.

Everyone is far too micro-managed.

People are EXTREMELY overworked –they expect to put in 48+ hours a week and then still bash the people who do for not getting things done.

Far too many countless, pointless, long meetings.

They low-ball employment offers to an extreme.

Everyone is far too micro-managed –there are no words to stress how little freedom there is to simply do your job.

Advice to Management

Stop pointing the finger at your staff and look in the mirror.

3. "Are Your Prepared for the Battlefield?"

Former Employee - N/A
    Former Employee - N/A

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time

Pros

Non-management staff is one of the brightest and nicest group of people. The people are what makes your day go by better and smoother. Variety of projects that will strengthen your skills. You will wear many different hats to help build your resume.

Cons

Are you prepared for battle? This place will make you ready for any battlefield. At this company there is no downtime. If you join, just know that you will be working around the clock. There are limited staff members for the number of projects and assignments that you will be doing. If you just came out of college look the other way and run. For a first job after college you will learn your profession the hard way. There is no positive reinforcement or encouragement. The only way to survive is being a very strong person and telling yourself positive things every minute. The best approach is to laugh and become immune to the micro-management, negativity, and toxicity of the environment. The work in consulting is pretty much the same; however, different companies value their employees and treat them like human beings. If you are looking for a job, I would wait until contacted by another company, where you can be successful, and one that appreciates your many talents.

Advice to Management

Treat people like you want to be treated

"Director"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Sapphos Environmental (More than a year)

Pros

None
    Great junior staff but they left soon

Cons

Toxic environment leadership self serving and abusive

Advice to Management

Sell assets

"Stay away"

Pros

solar powered building is good but unafordable gimmick

Cons

Toxic work environment. massive exodus of good people

Advice to Management

Listen to senior staff

"TOXIC ENVIRONMENT. STAY AWAY"

Pros

No pros are mentioned as no one should be encouraged to work here. The cons outweigh the pros tenfold or more.

Cons

I agree with the person who said walking on broken glass is less painful. The owner acts like an insane woman. She had a yelling match with a manager during working hours, then she walked out and slammed the front door, then proceeded to continue the argument outside, but within earshot. Things like this are not unusual there. Staff cringes when they hear her high-heels clicking towards them on the concrete office floors. She lies, deceives and is fickle in her alliances. Work there is impossible - imagine being asked to pick up 200 shards of that glass with one hand and build a pyramid. And if you succeed, she will take credit or give it to someone else. Metaphors aside, imagine you've been asked to prepare several proposals at one time, while remaining 97% chargeable. It can't be done but you will be treated like a traitor for saying that. A typical pattern is treating a person like royalty the first year, then trashing on them after that honeymoon period. There is something seriously wrong with this woman and it's too bad it's not against the law for bosses to act this way.

Advice to Management

Do NOT take a staff or manager position here. Several managers left while I was there. Run, don't walk, AWAY from that place. It will turn your life UPSIDE-DOWN and not in a good way.

8. "Great stepping stone, frustrating management"

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time

Pros

-Got experience in many different areas of environmental consulting that helped build my resume as a recent undergrad.
    -Pretty good salary for my experience level.
    -Good medical benefits.
    -Great group of intelligent coworkers with a lot opportunities for teamwork. People are kind and usually willing to help you out in a bind.
    -Relatively flexible schedule, though we couldn't work from home.
    -Company is very gracious in letting us take time off to visit the doctor/dentist. I also thought they were gracious about letting me take more vacation days than I had at the time, letting me make up the extra days on the weekends or through overtime.

Cons

-Didn't have an effective manager the entire time I worked here (went through 3). Ran into some issues where I was given inappropriate assignments because my manager didn't give me the right task for my experience level. Didn't have a manager that was encouraged my growth in the company.
    -Usually I am very eager to learn new skills and take on new types of projects, but at Sapphos it seems like those who eagerly take on new projects end up getting slammed with work by management and the president, without any respect for the personal life of the employee. I saw this happen to many of my coworkers in which they took on projects but were forced to work extremely long hours weeks on end, and sometimes even had their weekends taken away. In seeing this, I tried to stay under the radar, but the downside is I didn't learn as many new skills as I could have. In my opinion, it was worth it because my sanity and personal life are too valuable. If you value your family time, it is important to set limits with your managers right away. Seems as soon as you give up one weekend or work overtime for a few days, this will be the new normal, and they will always expect this from you in the future.
    -The president demands to review everything that goes out the door here which can be problematic for workflow and planning. It is not uncommon for her to have unreasonable expectations and make unreasonable requests, not deferring to the expertise of her employees. Sadly, staying out of her way is the best path to happy work life at this company.
    -I had to fight to get a raise after one year here, but I did end up getting one only after I switched positions in the company. I don't think it’s uncommon for the company to not give raises (even if you've worked here for several years) if you stay in the same position you started at. Better off to negotiate your salary as high as possible to start because trying to argue with leadership on why you deserve a raise is down right hostile. Besides, they often need to fill positions quickly when hiring, so it’s likely they desperately need you more than they let on, which gives you negotiating power.
    -This is the nature of consulting, but sometimes there are extremely tight deadlines which can require long and stressful days of work. I only ran into a handful of these during my time here.
    -Hardly any organized company events- hard to build community here. Generally a pretty stressful and tense environment to work in.
    -Very high employee turnover, which makes working on older projects difficult as the previous knowledge base is no longer available.
    -Sick days were cut while I was working here from 5 to 3 days, which I didn't think was enough. They also made this policy change without an official announcement, so the news had to travel through the grapevine in order for everyone to be notified. Management was hostile when I communicated I was upset about this sudden change.

9. "If you can make it here, you can make it any where."

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Sapphos Environmental full-time

Pros

A woman-owned company that employs an extremely smart, talented, hard-working technical team. Highly structured and organized processes and guidelines in place for preparing various reports, proposals, and for general office processes. Firm structure allows those with relatively little industry experience to get a wide breadth of experience in project management, business development and proposal efforts, which is great for career growth. Staff retreats are very generous with company paid overnight stays and meals at high-end resorts. Great comaraderie among staff. Most technical group managers are very knowledgeable and make an effort to mentor their respective groups. Salary and benefits are decent to good.

Cons

Although there is a management group to help guide the business, decisions, frequently arbitrary, come directly from the president. Therefore, the corporate management style is more micro-management verging on dictatorial. There is little positive reinforcement from the top for good work. The overall atmosphere is often oppressive, leaving the staff feeling demoralized and stressed. Perspective employees should make it a point to ask for the staff attrition rate during the interview process and consider the response carefully.

Advice to Management

The staff is much more aware of what is going on internally than management will acknowledge.

"Good and Bad"

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong interest in quality work, hiring smart and resourceful people, and great benefits for a small firm. Many great individuals you can learn from. Can gain good project management experience there. Very well organized and has clear company procedures to help workflow.

Cons

Oppressive pressure. At times there is contradictory or irrational management direction coming from the top.

Advice to Management

My manager was helpful and mentored me. But utlimately the president makes the decisions, which are often heartless and flawed. The company culture is overall positive, but there is a dictatorial approach from the top. Many walk on eggshells and find the environment tense.