Sapphos Environmental Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Archaeologist
    Former Employee - Archaeologist

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people all around you.
    Very dynamic work environment to learn and grow.
    Helpful management.

Cons

Location. Pasadena is great, but not centrally located.

2. "Bright Minds"

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time

Pros

Please disregard any of the prior poor reviews of Sapphos. The company went through a rough patch, but has recouped. The people that work here are some of the brightest minds in the industry. The president, Marie, is one of the most intelligent, well-versed and composed people I have ever met. Her ability to guide and control a meeting, all the while being respectful, is bar none. The caliber of the employees is very high. The level of standard that this company produces is what sets them apart. If you cannot create high quality work, you cannot work here. I believe that this is the reason that there have been negative reviews. People like to complain when they are out of their realm.

Cons

The work load can leave you feeling a bit stretched thin. There are always new contract coming in that need immediate addressing.

3. "Great project experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wow. I'm really surprised at some of the reviews on here. I worked at Sapphos for about 2 years and only left because my husband got a job out of state where he is from and we were expecting and needed the help. Thankfully, Sapphos did wonders for my resume and made it really easy for me to find a job when we moved. Marie is tough, but her technical expertise is outstanding. I got to meet a lot of top ranking people at the County and work on high profile jobs. I did receive a fair amount of critique on my technical writing, but I think it was necessary. I am a much better employee now as I have taken those skills with me. On a complete quality of life note, I loved the office location. My previous job was in an office park with NOTHING around. The Pasadena Sapphos office is so convenient!

Cons

If you are looking for a job where you just show up for 8 hours and go home, this isn't it. I think the biggest con (and I see it in the other reviews) is I had some co-workers who simply didn't really want to work. At times that put an undue burden on the rest of us. Thankfully, those people generally get weeded out.

4. "Great Environment and Professional Development"

I have been working at Sapphos Environmental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting projects
    Confidence is placed on the employee's capabilities
    Steady line of support from supervisors and management
    Emphasis is placed on employees' skills and educational development
    Highly competitive benefits
    Great people to work with. Friendly and inclusive environment

Cons

Could benefit from an even greater presence in career networking events.

Advice to Management

Continue the good work.

5. "Biological Resource Coordinator"

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time

Pros

Sapphos Environmental, Inc. is a woman owned business. My experience with Sapphos Environmental, Inc. was positive Marie Campbell is a wealth of knowledge about this industry. Employees have an opportunity to gain a better understanding of the environmental planning process. Sapphos Environmental, Inc. has supported me as a single mother when I needed to be home with my daughter. I was welcomed into Sapphos Environmental, Inc. as a member of the employees that have become a family. I enjoyed my time at Sapphos Environmental, Inc. and would return in a heartbeat.

Cons

I live in Riverside so the drive was horrible. Although, I began to ride the metro, which made my commute much better and Sapphos reimbursed my monthly tickets fees.

6. "Good, hard work"

Current Employee - Specialist in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Sapphos Environmental full-time

Pros

I have worked at Sapphos for a while and definitely seen some ups and downs, but overall, the experience has been positive and friendly. There is a nice mix of young people and more experienced staff, which means a lot of growth and learning opportunities as a technical person. I've read the other reviews and it IS hard work, but it's consulting, so it ebbs and flows. Schedules are pretty flexible, and it's a small business, so you get treated like a person, not a cog in a machine.
    -project ownership
    -dynamic environment
    -lots of opportunities to learn
    - schedule flexibility
    -benefits

Cons

A lot of staff turnover in 2014/2015 means management is kid of "rebuilding", so you have to be motivated and a self starter. Only one office location.

Advice to Management

Share plans with the team

7. "Environmental Analyst"

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunity, great for learning

Cons

Can be a hostile work environment, aggressive management style

Advice to Management

Trust your employees

8. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the technical staff and managers are wonderful to work with and we work on some very interesting and exciting projects

Cons

Everyone is far too micro-managed –there will be a meeting about something that is immediately followed up by a phone call, an email, and another scheduled meeting all restating exactly what was just discussed. (This is the case for every scenario.)

The role will quickly spiral into one that encompasses 2 or 3 different full-time jobs, but they will not hire anyone to help you or increase your salary.

There is no possible way that all of the work that there is can be completed in a normal 40 hour workweek –there is at least 50 hours of work to be done every single week.

There is zero room for growth, advancement, or a raise that isn’t like being spit in the face.

Upper management openly bashes good, current and former staff on a near daily basis –especially those who are not comfortable pushing back or saying “no” to them.

Everyone is far too micro-managed.

People are EXTREMELY overworked –they expect to put in 48+ hours a week and then still bash the people who do for not getting things done.

Far too many countless, pointless, long meetings.

They low-ball employment offers to an extreme.

Everyone is far too micro-managed –there are no words to stress how little freedom there is to simply do your job.

Advice to Management

Stop pointing the finger at your staff and look in the mirror.

"Are Your Prepared for the Battlefield?"

Former Employee - N/A
    Former Employee - N/A

I worked at Sapphos Environmental full-time

Pros

Non-management staff is one of the brightest and nicest group of people. The people are what makes your day go by better and smoother. Variety of projects that will strengthen your skills. You will wear many different hats to help build your resume.

Cons

Are you prepared for battle? This place will make you ready for any battlefield. At this company there is no downtime. If you join, just know that you will be working around the clock. There are limited staff members for the number of projects and assignments that you will be doing. If you just came out of college look the other way and run. For a first job after college you will learn your profession the hard way. There is no positive reinforcement or encouragement. The only way to survive is being a very strong person and telling yourself positive things every minute. The best approach is to laugh and become immune to the micro-management, negativity, and toxicity of the environment. The work in consulting is pretty much the same; however, different companies value their employees and treat them like human beings. If you are looking for a job, I would wait until contacted by another company, where you can be successful, and one that appreciates your many talents.

Advice to Management

Treat people like you want to be treated

"Director"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Sapphos Environmental (More than a year)

Pros

None
    Great junior staff but they left soon

Cons

Toxic environment leadership self serving and abusive

Advice to Management

Sell assets