Sappi Fine Paper Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Sappi Fine Paper CEO Ralph Boëttger
Ralph Boëttger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "My years under SAPPI Paper"

Former Employee - Boiler Operator in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Boiler Operator in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Sappi Fine Paper (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at the now closed Muskegon MI
     Plant for 19 years until my health forced an early retirement for my family and I. I was an officer in the Local 1015 for 13 years and Union Local President for 6 years. I am sorry and said when Mark Gardner and shareholders allowed our plant to close. I was all ready retired and wished I was able to do something. I had a fair and good relationship with Eugene VanAs CEO in South Africa as I had met him many times, even went to a shareholders meeting with my Int. rep. as the only threatened President in the USA to go on the Paperworkers funds to voice some displeasure and instead instead got a one on one meeting with him, my rep and Pascoe Dyani SAPOW African President. Meeting went great he introduced us as his honored guests and allowed us to speak. Two years later on the SAPPI dollar I was invited back and given an chance to discuss the much better relationship management and union created with Mr. VanAs help and encouragement. During our sale to companies by Scott Paper we were the only mill that allowed union leadership in the interview process thanks to our then President Bill Hart and myself goal of finding the best future employer and were again recognized for our attitude. The management at our mill and just as importantly the hourly people caused Muskegon to quite often lead the Scott and later SAPPI plants in NA in profits and safety. WE had a dedicated ingrained work ethic, worked long hours and were fairly compensated for those efforts and I have few regrets other than not being able to still have our plant. The hole left in the peoples lives and our community is still in healing even after 9 years.

Cons

Seeing our plant close and the fallout and hole left for all employees salaried and hourly and having nothing to say and a lake site eyesore.

Advice to Management

Treat the retirees on both salary and union of not only our plant but all SAPPI plants actively and fair

2. "Senior Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Cloquet, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cloquet, MN

I have been working at Sappi Fine Paper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sappi pays well. Nice area to live.

Cons

Not proactive enough - too reactive. Run to failure.

3. "Great place to do a Coop!"

Former Employee - Co-Op Student in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Co-Op Student in Westbrook, ME

I worked at Sappi Fine Paper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly workers and engineers, working there had a laid back vibe but in a good way that seemed to promote productivity

Cons

Some of the building styles and infrastructure are quite dated but it didn't seem to bother me that much

4. "employees are treated like children"

Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Sappi Fine Paper full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, decent pay, good hours

Cons

inside sales reps are treated like kids, constant micro managing and given tasks that shouldn't be the priority for a company in a failing industry

Advice to Management

get with the times, hire better managers and directors who have a clue, stop picking on the trivial stuff that doesn't matter, dont micro manage as much, treat reps as adults not children, the managers are not very qualified and often make mistakes or the wrong judgment calls, very negative and political environment

5. "Great pay, great benefits not so great people"

Former Employee - Production in Cloquet, MN
    Former Employee - Production in Cloquet, MN

I worked at Sappi Fine Paper (More than 8 years)

Pros

4 on/ 4 off schedule. Excellent pay. Great benefits

Cons

Ignorant coworkers, terrible management, no skills learned to bring into any potential future employment

Advice to Management

Manage the drama and rumors. It creates hostile work environment. Felt like Jr. High

6. "Mockingbird"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in South Portland, ME

I worked at Sappi Fine Paper (More than 10 years)

Pros

great place to work, coworkers genuinely care for each other. Team work is rewarded and most folks are very reasonable.

Cons

Opinions of certain individuals in upper management are never questioned. Some of their choices should be questioned especially when laying off key people. Motives are not always as they seem. individual regurgitates direct reports words to make them self look good. You should be able to see through that.

"Soulless management"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in South Portland, ME

I worked at Sappi Fine Paper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits

Cons

Management trapped in the past.

Advice to Management

Embrace the 21st century work practices if you want to recruit and retain quality employees. Just because something "has been done this way for 40 years" doesn't make it right or relevant in today's business world.

8. "Poor Management for a good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sappi Fine Paper full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Company (product wise, core values, systems)

Cons

poor Management, no raises, no growth, no leadership, poor communication

Advice to Management

Less personal business/problems and more strategic thinking and leadership.

9. "Overall Good Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Sales Administrator in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Administrator in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Sappi Fine Paper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, Easy Commute, Many connections with Fortune 500's

Cons

Old School Office / Corporate Politics - Very few young people working for company

Advice to Management

Don't be scared to put Gen Y's in management roles.

10. "Too much of a good old boy network."

Former Employee - Technician in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Technician in Portland, ME

I worked at Sappi Fine Paper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the co-workers share knowledge and support each other. Mill people are very supportive and share information.

Cons

The good ole boy network starts with some of the managers. One manager has set up employee's to fail. If you excel or try to move up, you are made to look bad. Bonuses are given out to favorite employees, not tied to performance. The yearly PMP's are a joke. The manager determines the grade. I was once told outstanding grades are only given to the manager and regardless of how well I excel, I would never qualify for outstanding marks. There is prejudice and discrimination toward minorities in Sappi North America, look at the company mix of employee's to confirm my belief.

Advice to Management

Remove managers who continue to layoff and hold back good employees. Get rid of the good ole boy network and managers who promote it. Hire managers with better people skills. Make bonuses performance based decided by HR.