Sappo School Reviews | Glassdoor

Joanne Sappo
  1. "Reading diagnostician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Commack, NY

I have been working at Sappo School

Pros

I have been working at Sappo School for over 12 years and have seen remarkable work being done with students.

Cons

High demands for teachers to live up to. However, this becomes a positive for the students!

Advice to Management

Maintain your high standards.

Sappo School2015-08-03

"Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Sappo School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice kids (some) and comfortable desk chairs. TEN nice teachers. JUST TEN.

Cons

Almost anything else that a school has to offer could probably be on this list, because so many things are done poorly. Not everything, just almost everything. And this is not sour grapes, it's just true.

Advice to Management

Revise your web page to reflect what is actually going on there. Don't be so callous. Don't back stab. Don't play favorites. (worst mistake)

Sappo School2017-09-21

"Staff"

I worked at Sappo School full-time

Pros

Some really nice parents and a few nice kids. Air conditioned.

Cons

Just about everything but the nice kids and parents.

Advice to Management

Shape up

Sappo School2017-09-08

"Beware- I'll tell you who wrote the few good ratings on here"

Current Employee - Teacher in Commack, NY

I have been working at Sappo School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small class sizes. Honestly the kids they give you are out of control. They take on kids who are a bad placement for the school (violence, bullying, running out of the school, destroying classrooms) but at least you have a small class size to somewhat deal with that.

Cons

Walking on eggshells, they lie to parents, they tell the teachers that they are business people who's job is to bring the school money instead of teachers, everything is very hush hush and covered up, bullying is tolerated, the pay isn't livable. Every good rating on here is written by either the CEO , an adjunct teacher who doesn't see how it truly is, or office worker who is running the school

Advice to Management

Stop treating your teachers like garbage and actually realize the responsibility that you have to care for these children. You don't care what happens to them as long as you get their parent's money.

Sappo School2017-07-26

"I don't know what to say!"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Sappo School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small Class sizes provide individualized attention to students. Teaching Staff is helpful and accommodating to peers and students.

Cons

High demand and if you need help it is never given Don't take on anything you don't know how to do No honesty, loyalty, pride, ethics or morals Make sure you do everything they say and never verbalize your opinion or your need for help. The students are number 1 in the eyes of the teachers, but are only dollar signs to administration and other staff.

Advice to Management

Restructuring will not help when the upper administration has favoritism and does not reward loyalty or hard work. Now that Joanne Sappo is no longer with us does not mean that her legacy should dwindle because of lack of loyalty and hard work.

Sappo School2017-07-11

"Not as good as I had hoped"

I worked at Sappo School

Pros

Small Class sizes were definitely a huge plus to working there At will employment was also a nice perk there

Cons

Administration wasn't honest from the start with certain things Lack of communication amongst staff Classroom management was undermined Lack of true discipline

Advice to Management

Be honest and straightforward to those that are hired. lay out every little detail that you can so they know what to expect other than what they will be teaching and how to best prepare.

Sappo School2016-02-21

"A Model for Positive Change In the Lives of Children"

Current Employee - Public Relations in Commack, NY

I have been working at Sappo School part-time for more than a year

Pros

The most supportive environment I've ever been a part of in my educational and professional career. I attended in high school and this school made such a difference in my life that I jumped at the chance to return as an employee. It's grown for the better over the 10-plus years I've been involved. Co-workers are friends, not just fellow professionals. Teachers have a genuine interest in the well-being of students. If...

Cons

None personally. Some of the usual stresses that come with teaching, I suppose, but on a smaller scale and in a much less stressful environment.

Sappo School2014-11-21

"Best company I have ever worked with!"

I have been working at Sappo School full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is an amazing program. Everyday I get to see the miracles of children changing. The program is unique and revolutionary, you will not find any like it. Administration is very supportive, yet demanding, people that cant keep up are let go. It is a family like atmosphere. The school is going places and I am excited to be part of that.

Cons

Benefits are not automatic, but can be negotiated for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Sappo School2013-11-12

"Don't believe the lies... Get Out Now"

Current Employee - Former Employee in Medford, NY

I have been working at Sappo School full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can not think of any

Cons

If I could give this school negative stars I would. Administration will do or say whatever is necessary to get your money. Don't believe these other reviews. Teachers are told not to discipline children because it will upset the parents. Parents, you are being lied to about what is going on in the classroom & how your student is behaving. Don't believe the "grading for success" program, it is just a game that is...

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better and back them up Increase salary Add benefits Unionize Stop telling lies

Sappo School2013-08-21

"Gratifying and rewarding"

Current Employee - Educational Administrator in Medford, NY

I have been working at Sappo School

Pros

Good communication Expectations are made known Ongoing collaboration Close team environment Loyalty of staff and administration Positive environment

Cons

Small size and limited opportunity for coporate growth You need to be on your toes. The school population is challenging to work with.

Advice to Management

Improve the desire and willingness for teachers to communicate needs and challenges

Sappo School2011-01-12