Sarah Lawrence College Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Phonathon Caller"

Former Employee - Phonathon Caller in Bronxville, NY
    Former Employee - Phonathon Caller in Bronxville, NY

Pros

I got to work with a committed and fun group of colleagues, and the environment was very collegial. We had lots of fun.

Cons

The work breaks were too short--only ten minutes! Sometimes I also felt as if there was a disconnect between what our boss wanted and what we thought was expected of us

Advice to Management

better communication with employees--beyond introductions--is a must. The employees were committed and enthusiastic. There needed to be more feedback channels.

2. "Summer Researcher"

Former Employee - Software Development Researcher in Bronxville, NY
    Former Employee - Software Development Researcher in Bronxville, NY

I worked at Sarah Lawrence College (Less than a year)

Pros

The school did provide stipend and cheap dorm housing for summer student researchers. The professor gave you a lot of attention. There were a good amount of students joining, so it was a good environment. You worked with two or more other students who shared same interests with you, and that's always cool.

Cons

Wish the professor would have had a more clear proposal/idea of the research project. He changed his expectations A LOT. The housing was cheap, but keep in mind that Hill house does not have AC. New York summer without AC was a nightmare for me, but I can't afford living outside of campus with the stipend school provided, so...

3. "This was just my part time job at my college"

Former Employee - Audio Visual Assistant in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Sarah Lawrence College (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many possible supervisors so your experiences will definitely vary. My supervisors for Audio Visual taught me the basics the first day and were available most times I needed assistance.

Cons

Same as the above, there are many possible jobs and supervisors. In the case of Audio Visual, I was only taught the basics and would always need to call my supervisors whenever there was a hardware issue.

Advice to Management

For Audio Visual, I would recommend teaching the students more about possible hardware issues, so that they can deal with them when they happen.

5. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Bronxville, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Bronxville, NY

I worked at Sarah Lawrence College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The administrative staff are very supportive of graduate assistants, and offer them a lot of flexibility. Pay is reasonable for a college.

Cons

There is not much lateral or upward mobility. It is not the most dynamic environment (even for a small college).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and look for process efficiency. Ensure that every penny is well spent! Try to bring in young and efficient people.

6. "Great People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronxville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronxville, NY

I worked at Sarah Lawrence College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, coworkers and outside staff are very helpful and intelligent people.

Cons

Upper management creates problems even in day to day functions.

7. "BROKE & Pretentious"

Current Employee - Affairs in Bronxville, NY
    Current Employee - Affairs in Bronxville, NY

I have been working at Sarah Lawrence College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful Campus and wonderful students

Cons

Very small college to be broke and cannot get it right.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and not the board

8. "The Art and Price of Teaching."

Current Employee - Professor in Bronxville, NY
    Current Employee - Professor in Bronxville, NY

I have been working at Sarah Lawrence College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very committed faculty is given tremendous freedom in developing courses and assessing outcomes, within a novel pedagogy, stressing individual student centered education through mentoring and independent research projects chosen by student and teacher . A very dynamic intellectual community with respect across disciplinary lines. Students are generally motivated, skilled but above all expressive and creative.

Cons

The education is very expensive, the support staffs are generally understaffed. As indicated by outside sources there is a desperate need to improve finances, develop a vision, upkeep both the pedagogy and physical plant, and generally improve general administrative/management competence.

Advice to Management

Treat the faculty as partner, stress productivity gains before moderate cuts, make a commitment to improving physical plant, more faculty and alums in positions of authority, if possible hold the line on tuition -- all easier said than done. .

9. "Somewhere everyone should work for a few years."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronxville, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronxville, NY

Pros

Quality of life. Benefit package. Student interaction.

Cons

Communication of decisions. Lack of traditional structure within the academic hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Find consistent ways to communicate with students, faculty, and staff on a daily, weekly, monthly, and semester schedule to improve leadership perception.

10. "Good place to work!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Bronxville, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in Bronxville, NY

Pros

Wonderful, creative atmosphere, supportive staff. It is a relaxed environment which is close to NYC. The only thing is...higher management (such as the President of the college) can be incompetent and unreceptive to the liberal arts atmosphere that defines the college in general. I would say that people who are thinking of working at this college should talk to other tenured and non-tenured faculty to get a sense of the dynamics between the faculty and administration.

Cons

New president is someone unresponsive to the creative needs of the College as a whole.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more receptive to the general faculty. And they need to be less worred about themselves!

11. "resident director study abroad"

Former Employee - Resident Director
    Former Employee - Resident Director

I worked at Sarah Lawrence College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication with my superiors

Cons

none that are worth mentioning