Sarasota County Government Reviews | Glassdoor

Sarasota County Government County Administrator Thomas Harmer
Thomas Harmer
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Progressive County With Great Values"

Current Employee - Caseworker in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Caseworker in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Sarasota County Government full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training opportunities, tuition reimbursement, free dental, great individual health insurance, progressive values, excellent communication with management, fantastic pay for entry level.

Cons

Non-competitive pay compared to other counties and expensive family health insurance when compared to State Health Insurance. Would like to see more certification opportunities

Advice to Management

Please use neighboring counties as a reference for pay increases. Also would like to see more positions and chance for advancement.

2. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Sarasota County Government full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, plenty of trainIng

Cons

Pay is very weak compared to non-gov sector

3. "Warehouse"

Current Employee - Warehouse
    Current Employee - Warehouse

I have been working at Sarasota County Government full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, top to bottom. Not a typical government job. Innovation is welcomed, promotions are earned not given out due to time served.

Cons

Could always pay more, still a superior organization.

4. "Welcome Center Representative"

Current Freelancer - People Greeter in Sarasota, FL
    Current Freelancer - People Greeter in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Sarasota County Government (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at the Welcome Center has provided me with the opportunity to meet professionals from the many departments within the County. I greet employees as they are going about their day, and answer any questions from members of the community who come into the Sarasota County Administration Building.

Cons

While working at the Welcome Center is a positive experience, I would like to have a more task oriented position in order to utilize my problem solving skills. I enjoy the interactions with the community, but I would like to serve them more by creating solutions to the issues the community addresses to me.

Advice to Management

The management at the Welcome Center always provides me with encouragement and support in my future endeavors. I advice them to continue this attitude with their future employees.

"Business Professional"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Sarasota County Government full-time

Pros

Great leadership, flexible schedules, good benefits

Cons

limited growth, minimal raises, very clickish

"Librarian"

Pros

Excellent work environment - positive, encouraging, access to the best health and wellness benefits

Cons

No room for advancement ( in the library system); lowest pay when compared with other library systems

"No true career path"

I have been working at Sarasota County Government (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm getting insurance and the provide a little into a retirement plan (at the present)

Cons

No true career path, communication is bad from supervisors and management and they can be micro-managers.

Advice to Management

Practice the career advancement policies you preach.

"Currently employed for 10+ years. Very nice work atmosphere."

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Sarasota County Government full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very fare. Benefits are good compared to local private companies. Positive and friendly staff.

Cons

Lacking salary increases. Politics. Job security.

Advice to Management

Lead, not manage. Provide the appropriate resources for your employees to perform at their best. Research more on your individual teams to understand their necessities to get the job done.

"office"

Current Employee - Clerk in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Clerk in Sarasota, FL

Pros

Other employees, rewarding work, some benefits

Cons

no pay raises for 5 years, benefits dwindling, management has no clue on the lowness of moral or what communications are really important, too political

Advice to Management

step back and take a truthful look at the state of things

"look before you jump"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Sarasota County Government full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

no shortage of challenging obstacles to overcome. Pay is better than average for Sarasota jobs currently. Benefits are o.k. , Maximo asset management and maintenance software is great. Too bad it isn't used in more departments. Information hotline is also very helpful.

Cons

Expectations are high but effective, constructive leadership on a daily basis is missing and while accountability receives much lip service there is more of a tendency to find fault and assign blame than there is to work together to find solutions that are realistic and pragmatic. Administration is plagued with unresponsive kingdom builders and some departments remain entrenched in political gridlock that prevents substantial progress. Sunshine laws that are supposed to promote transparency, have created more problems than they have solved. CYA is given priority over taking action and making strides to reverse former mistakes. Expect to work longer hours if you're salaried. Fear of job loss is epidemic and morale is measured in relative terms. If you are management also expect to spend much time traveling around the county to various spread-out locations.

Advice to Management

If you under-fund a department that is already struggling it will only find so much efficiency before it goes into a decline that is passed onto the community it is trying to serve. Vendors are built in waste unless there is sufficient informed, oversight which there is not. Staff are overworked and vendor inspections are not a priority. Low bid equals low expectations and requires oversight. Process building is only starting in some departments. As processes are implemented that improve communication between departments efficiency will be realized. But patience is necessary as those processes are built and adopted. Meetings need to start on time when there are so many to coordinate.