Sargento Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "This is a dream job"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Kiel, WI
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Kiel, WI

I worked at Sargento full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. The people are fantastic. Best job ever!

Cons

The cons are not worth mentioning

"Great Culture"

I worked at Sargento full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company that reinvests in the community.

Cons

Low growth plans, didn't have much opportunity for advancement.

"Good for production terrible management"

Current Employee - Production Sanitation Utility in Plymouth, WI
    Current Employee - Production Sanitation Utility in Plymouth, WI

I have been working at Sargento full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High average pay, very good production employees, plenty of overtime available and multiple positions to work in.

Cons

Poor management, unqualified supervisors treat people trying to make it up in the company like 3rd rate citizens.

Advice to Management

To be honest your employees don't trust you. You have shown little in the form of leadership and getting to know the problems in your department let alone fixing them. You also offer almost no way for experienced employees to help you improve and you are all very condescending and many times rude to the people who work for you

"The right direction"

Current Employee - Production Worker in Plymouth, WI
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Plymouth, WI

I have been working at Sargento full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, good pay. Best work environment I have ever been in where the company really cares about the people.

Cons

The benefits could offer more choices for Doctors in the network.

Advice to Management

Change and growth is hard for people but you have to keep moving forward. I worked at companies that didn't keep up with the times and they are no longer in business.

"Midlife Crisis"

Current Employee - Production Employee in Plymouth, WI
    Current Employee - Production Employee in Plymouth, WI

I have been working at Sargento full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at Sargento for more than 10 years and it has been very enjoyable for the most part. I have worked with the same folks for that whole time which has been nice as we have built a nice working relationship. The benefits are really good compared to others that I have had. The Christmas Parties and Company picnics are fantastic.
    The company works hard to be innovative and industry leading. Depending on the project or initiative, management works to get employees involved in the process to get a better understanding of how the change may impact the employees. Management typically treats employees fairly and respectfully.
    The company tries to communicate when changes are coming down the line but don't always share specifics, but at least it is not a total surprise.
    The foundation of the organization appears to be holding true to how the founder(s) initially setup the company. The company hires good people and treats them like family, most of the time. Just like any family there are always one or two that don't hold the same values as the collective group.

Cons

Sargento is going through a "midlife crisis" right now. They are growing into a larger force in the marketplace and are struggling with how to strategically do that without losing the sense of who they 'want to be', but in doing so, they are not realizing who they are turning into.
    The politics in the manufacturing department have increased steadily for the past four years or so (right around the time a long tenured VP retired). Folks then started to jockey for positions and it has turned into a winner-takes-no-prisoners atmosphere in management. The manufacturing folks are left holding the bag, supervisors are setup to fail and bad managers get promoted (all while good managers are stuck in the middle).
    Good supervisors don't stick around long enough and bad supervisors are around too long. When we finally got a really good manager who doesn't play the political game, the company (rightfully) promoted them and the jockeying started all over again.
    We are going though major changes right now as an organization and there does not seem to have been much input from the production side as not much is going well with these changes. Too often folks are picked to lead projects that have no clue on what the impact of the project will be and does not even have the decency to ask for input from those it will affect because they want all the credit if it goes well but will point the finger at production if things don't go well.
    All this creates infighting among 'established' production employees and 'new' production employees. If you are not part of the click then you are left to defend yourself

Advice to Management

Don't allow employees to work in the same department/job for more than 10 years. There are many 25+ year employees I work with that feel entitled to whatever they want because they have "put in the time" and are never challenged by supervisors.
    When you come across a really good supervisor or manager, don't let them go. I have witnessed this a couple times at Sargento. You know that it is just a matter of time that the good ones will either quite because of the environment or get promoted. Both of which hurt the moral of the employees. The company needs to find ways to keep those good supervisors and managers in their roles so they can keep making positive changes.
    Stand up for what is right. Many times the production folks are left dealing with the decisions that are made by senior management for the "good of the company", but really it only helps a select few. We all know Walmart runs the world but why do we have to fall in line with everyone else, if we stand up to Walmart and refuse to play their game, others will follow us as we are a viewed highly by our peers. True leadership is holding to your ideals even though it may mean less money in your pocket at the end of the day. We cannot continue to chase the almighty dollar as it will end up leading to the demise of the organization. At what point is enough money enough? We are not Kraft, we don't want to be Kraft, so stop acting like Kraft.

"Lots of change"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Plant, AR
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Plant, AR

I have been working at Sargento full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401k. Small, friendly towns. Very hardworking people at the plants. Average pay and benefits.

Cons

Way too much growth has changed the family environment to toxic in a few short years. No one wants ideas to improve. Hire you for your skills and knowledge then tell you to shut up. If you step out of line they will find a way to fire you. Great at corporate with fun team activities and Friday afternoons off while plants run short handed 24/7.

Advice to Management

You seem to have forgotten that the manufacturing people are the whole reason you exist. Start appreciating them and listen to them. Way too many upper levels and corporate people. Come out of the ivory tower every now and then.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Production in Kiel, WI
    Current Employee - Production in Kiel, WI

I have been working at Sargento full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and good benefits

Cons

Some mandatory Overtime is required

"Gears Need Oiling and Old Parts Need to Go to the Boneyard"

Former Employee - Manager in Plymouth, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Plymouth, WI

I worked at Sargento full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cheese
    Newer Buildings
    Summer Picnic better than Christmas Party

Cons

Get ready to observe the Great Dog and Pony Show. Politics, drama, disconnect
    between owners and mid level employees. Gossiping is the worst. It never was this way a few years ago. You'll spend more time watching your back, while upper level management listens to the gossip more than the facts and believes the gossip. This company had plenty of talent in the ranks but vice presidents and directors choose to cast them aside and are forcing more educated and innovative employees to look elsewhere for employment. Afraid we will lose more good employees. The culture is dead from what it was. Not family oriented or caring about people anymore.
    Dishonest/inexperienced supervisors and a lot of politics. It's not about how well you do your job, its about how much your boss likes you. No advance planning. Always reacting. Every day is an emergency.

Advice to Management

The family should leave or sell to someone who actually wants the company to
    succeed in continuous improvement. The family should make sure that they are practicing what they preach as far as culture and the importance of coaching members to be the best they can be. Just because members have been there a long time doesn't mean they are ignorant. Teach them the business. Teach them new things. The company needs to figure out what it wants to be when it "grows up". Bring more discipline to planning processes and decision making. Serious management problems. You guys have no idea what your all doing. You first decide to take in new people, without understanding our role, and use us as a guinea pig to j try to figure things out on our own. I have never felt the need to write such negative reviews for anyone and I never did.  Stop saying how the culture is great and everyone is friendly – its not. Definitely on the down hill. Finally, get rid of the canned statements such as "we are family" and "team", since everyone knows it's false.

9. "Excellent Company Culture"

I have been working at Sargento full-time

Pros

Company culture, authenticity, people, leadership

Cons

Pace at which change is accepted can vary

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kiel, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kiel, WI

I have been working at Sargento part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful people, take pride in thier work. Good benefits

Cons

finger print clocking in and out, doesn't acknowledge the fingerprint, redoing it constantly.