Satellites Unlimited Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Danny McKinney

Pros
  • Company vehicle, not cramped up in an office (in 18 reviews)

• You get a company vehicle to take home and a corporate gas card (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, having to drive between jobs and not getting paid for that (in 8 reviews)

• They say it's your fault in some way if you get trouble calls (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for - but lots of whiners"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great group of people to work with

Cons

Off days are a little difficult for some

Advice to Management

None

"No Supplies long hours"

Former Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Alexandria, LA
    Former Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Alexandria, LA

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work van Health insurance and worn out tools not many pros with this company it's hard to write down 20 words that are pros for this company

Cons

The worst company that you can ever work for. Their equipment tracking system is awful. When you leave the company they charge you. It is a dog eat dog company

"Satellite Technician"

Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Van, tools, gas card
    There's a 5 word minimum, so this sentence is serving as just a place holder.

Cons

Poor management who only care about their own paycheck. Multiple trouble calls on your record which has nothing to do with your performance. Though you may have many trouble calls on you that has nothing to do with your performance, they remain on you and hinders advancement. You're told to try harder next quarter instead of them being removed this quarter. It's basically your fault if you don't sell their overpriced products by any means. If you don't, you're reminded that you're disposable. So you better lie to your customers and tell them that they have to have these products, or pull something else out of your hat if you want to make quota. Or else the company doesn't need you. They'll just hire and train more people. They have to be on the top of the list of companies with the highest turnover rates! A technician may be close to your home (an hour from his home) and you may be close to his home (again an hour away). They mention bonuses, but you hardly ever get them because of trouble calls. They say it's your fault in some way if you get trouble calls. You didn't spend enough educating the customers. It's simple, many people wouldn't get it if you stayed a month to educate them. Some will get it immediately if they're tech savvy. After 30-45 minutes of educating the customers, should I continue to stay even though I have other customers to serve that day, or should I educate them that they can also refer to the instruction manual for other questions? It's a job that can get you from point A to point B, but this is not a career like they'd like for you to believe. I rate this company 0 stars, but a 0 rating isn't possible. And just for the record because I've heard them say most that give bad reviews is because they got fired for some reason. No, I'm quitting! You'll find out who I am soon. :-)

Advice to Management

You see the majority of the reviews. Still don't have a clue?

"High stress environment but you can make good money"

Current Employee - Tech in Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Tech in Auburn, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money when you rise above tier 2, gas card, tools, freedom, various bonuses, rewards for being good at your job. Opportunity to earn a lot of vacation time. Company iPad. If your a top performer then you will have good off days, regardless if you have been there 3 months or 3 years

Cons

Drivetime between jobs is TERRIBLE! Management seems to think that the routing system works. It does not. If your a below average salesperson don't waste your time, even if your the best technician... if you don't sell a lot of products you will be fired

Advice to Management

Fix routing.... please, it's broken. Help techs deal with stress. There is so many different metrics to keep up that it is overwhelming. Lastly fix routing or just look into it. Please

6. "Not for family guys!"

Current Employee - Technician in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - Technician in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is possible to make a decent check.

Cons

Long hours. No set schedule. Work up to two hours away from home. Most techs work through weekend and are off during weekdays. Never get to spend time with family. Leave as early as 3:30 am on load days and can be as late as 10:00 pm getting home. Don't get paid for drive time which can add up to a few hours per day. Don't make good wages-only way to make a decent check is to sell company products like crazy. Customers get your personal number from en route calls and blow you up when they have any questions or problems. Office will change up your route all day long last minute so you never know where you will end up working or be home.

Advice to Management

Need to seriously look into re organizing everything for the technicians. I'm personally at the top of my office in customer satisfaction, sales, etc. and I'm seriously considering looking elsewhere for employment. You are going to end up running off all of your top quality employees due to poor company policy/procedures. I bust my tail to provide for my family and to create the best possible representation for the company I work for and employees like me are very hard to come by. The company really needs to reevaluate their procedures.

7. "Great company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cares for not only their employees, but their employee's families as well. Pay is very competitive. Plenty of opportunities to improve your pay as well through bonuses and other things.

Cons

As a technician, some goals that are set in place are hard to achieve, but this just makes you push harder to be better.

Satellites Unlimited Response

Dec 20, 2016 – Marketing Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback!

"Run away fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, MS

I worked at Satellites Unlimited (Less than a year)

Pros

None this company sucks bad

Cons

Shady company that only thinks about themselves. After I left I received phone call about me texting supervisors saying I was coming to fight at the office. Then when I asked did he see the text and he responded no. He laughed at me when I said that he should verify stuff like that before calling me. Then I called HR and he only texted. This company is a joke and the people machine are slaves that they use as they see fit. Don't have a family or I promise you that you will never see them. They don't care about you only them and then the customer has all the power. Can call you racist names and all you get is shake it off.

Advice to Management

Shut the whole company down.

Satellites Unlimited Response

Dec 28, 2016 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to review SUI on Glassdoor. We appreciate your feedback and regret that you had a bad experience with us. Our HR team introduced an anonymous and confidential reporting ... More

"Make sui great again!!"

Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a ride and a gas card. Tools provided. You can make good money here.

Cons

Pay is not my complaint. I still make good money. The problems are in company core values. I used to love sui. My management in mobile is good to me but some of the Crap coming down from dish is quickly making me, a 6 year former ct, fsm next move employee think about other places. I stood by the company when we took a pay cut. I have been here for many changes and defended every change but right now. The routing system sucks. 6 and one when I'm not routed with enuff work to start with. I'm going to give sui to the end of this year and hope it gets good enuff for me to stay.

Advice to Management

Just remember to fight for us. Dish is not always right. I understand that We have to comply but remember you have to fight for your people machine too. Can't pull jobs, can't get a good pre route. I want to be here for the rest of my life, please fight for us as we do for you every day.

"Good job, not so good of a company"

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Monroe, LA

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They give you a van, tools etc., every bit of it worn out! Your out on your own meeting new people daily. Was able to find a great new job while talking to a customer during a install.

Cons

Very poor communication between management and technicians in the field. They want you to communicate via on a chat room on your tablet but half the time never respond. Keep in mind your constantly in a hurry daily so time is very limited. You call the office land line to try to speak to someone and they get aggravated, like your bothering them! Very unconfortable feeling when your just trying to do your job. Your constantly having to track down equipment for a job that you don't have sometimes driving hours out your way with out getting paid a dime. It's a job you just have to tolerate. What got me to finally just say enough was enough was on Easter Sunday, there wasn't a whole lot of work that day and I was giving 2 jobs, which I was fine with I was gonna knock them out and be able to make it to the family get together at 1 pm that day. I told my wife and kids I would be there and the 2 jobs went by very smoothly. Well right before I was fixing to close out my last job and head home, well what do you know, they added a service call, a service call!!! This is a 19 dollar job 130 miles away from where I was at!! 2 an half hour drive!! I made 19 dollars in 6 hours total time! You do the math on that! All to not spend Easter with my kids! I did the job and kept my mouth shut though! That's when I decided to start asking customers on jobs about seeking another job. Took me just a few days so thank you Sui for that! They call there employees there people machines! How about just call your employees people! I loved this job, I was good at it! I just didn't like the management in Monroe! There are many other things but,,you get the point.

Advice to Management

Honestly I don't think it will do any good! I got on here to advise and warn possible future employees!

"Work like adog"

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Monroe, LA

I worked at Satellites Unlimited (More than a year)

Pros

Insurance long hours no equipment

Cons

No equipment I would go to the office in Monroe La. Once a wk to load my van and leave with just maybe enough equipment to do my jobs for that day , the rest of the wk would have to run after and call other tech to find the equipment to do my job. After 11 months of this I had enough a walked in an them the keys to my van. They not care about their people just the money. The worst company I work for. Don't let them BS you to think they care about the employees they don't. Then when you exit the company they will charge you for everything you don't have. All the hand tools are used before you get and worn out but if you lose it you buy sui a new one.

Advice to Management

Ya'll are a joke