Satellites Unlimited Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 20, 2019

4.0
Danny McKinney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company vehicle, and provides you with tools" (in 20 reviews)

• "The give you a van some tools a gas card" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, lots of drive time with no pay, unrealistic expectation to sell overpriced and unneeded items to every customer you serve" (in 13 reviews)

• "You will receive at least 5 to 10 emails a day about how we need to sell more smart home products" (in 5 reviews)

1. "This company provides a challenging and rewarding career opportunity with incentives for performance."

Pros

Career opportunities, performance bonuses, job security, training & development

Cons

High Expectations, Lower base salary causes employees to be dependent on incentives and bonuses

Advice to Management

Increase compensation and benefits to rival competitors but continue to value employees and reward performance more than competitors in the industry.

2. "Stable"

Pros

Benefits, Pay, and Stability, and the opportunity to grow.

Cons

No real con, unless you arent willing to work for your pay.

Advice to Management

Continue to support, and help us focus on the long term goals

3. "Eat What You Kill"

Current Employee - Installer
    Current Employee - Installer

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company definitely doesn't mind paying you for your hard work. If you dont mind getting under and over houses this is the job for you. They push you to sell products but reward you for it also.

Cons

If there's not alot of work it can affect your units per day which is a metric that is used to determine tier level pay.

Advice to Management

If you see a tech only getting 30 or 40 units that day...he should have the option of taking off. Give them to another tech and give back on another slow day.

4. "Amazing People and a Great Place Overall"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Samsung Local Parts Assistant in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel appreciated for my hard work. I consider my coworkers to be like family. Great atmosphere to work in, and a willingness to help out fellow employees.

Cons

There can be long hour days, especially as a technician.

5. "Satellite tech"

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time

Pros

The give you a van some tools a gas card. Working with the other techs.

Cons

Too much driving and after nine months of employment you get paid by job

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive and rewarding work. You get paid based on what you put into your work, so compensation varies based on your level of commitment. ESOP company means we are all owners and the benefits that come from the ESOP plan are great.

Cons

Some days can be longer than others..Dish has high expectations, which roll down hill, but these are manageable, most of the time.

Advice to Management

Management does take feedback, but sometimes can be slow to react or put things in place to make changes.

"Lead dog company aligned with strong core values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, LA

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly adaptable company that is willing to adjust to a constantly changing environment. Employee stock owned company with many opportunities to grow compensatory opportunities

Cons

None that come to mind

8. "Tech"

Current Employee - Tech in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Tech in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Make what you want to make. The job rewards high performers based on how the system pays you. Very challenging. Company gas card, tools, van, and equipment. Management is very understanding and easy to understand.

Cons

Long hours, not a 9-5 job. Takes a little while to get started making really good money.

Advice to Management

Little bit more training when new things are rolled out.

9. "Hattiesburg Tech Review"

Current Employee - Technician in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Technician in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with any job this one is like the rest there is pros and cons. But the pros out weigh the cons for me .

You are provided a van to bring home they only ask you clean it this ant to much for someone to ask . We did this when we let our guys use our trucks in the oil field.

Paid time off . Some guys are looking for more pay some just want to be home with family and paid . They give you oppurtunity to make pto ancillary in additon to the regular vacation time you you can take off or if you want more money cash it out and get a bigger pay check up to the amount you have earned.

Freedom, its just you that is there on the job going to each customers home and most of the time the customer goes inside and leaves you to it if you like to work alone . This is the time place this sometimes gets lonely if you are a people person though.
    You meet a new person almost every day . If you like meeting different people you get to do that and get paid for it .

Management will work with you at Hattiesburg if you ask a manager for help the ones we have currently will go over the top to help out. If that one dont get it done you go higher up until you get it resolved and helped.

Job security as long as there is people out there their will be someone that wants satellite if you are looking for a place for job security i dont think its going any where any time soon and dish owns a lot of 5g even if satellite goes byebye . The tv will need fixing still at time to time.

SUI offers several revenue streams if you cant make enough by units . You can sell retail video or internet this adds up plus you get paid to install it extra.

Esop Sui is now Esop this adds a nice little surprise to your end of the year funds and it helps out.

The people at Sui all seem to be good people. If you are looking to be hired at Hattiesburg they have some of the best management.

Theres more i am just to tired to write it down

Cons

As with all jobs theirs cons
    You are required to sell this is a dish thing not sui thing selling in certain areas is just not going to happen not because you cant sell its just because these folks are broke,have a house sitter etc and you have to pray that you get routed good the next day to make up your average.

You are paid per job on installations usually pretty good and service calls and upgrades not so much. As with any job paid per job this you loose as a tech especially on upgrades and service calls if you are the first employee from sui to come there.

At the moment the structure sui has for a tech it is for short term make a quick buck and leave you can be there for 2 or 3 years and get paid a lot less than the guy that comes in only been there a year and has found that less work is more pay. The guy that brings everything to the attic door and makes it easier to service and upgrade is paid less than that guy that is lazy and puts a splitter all the way to the back of the attic on 59 line.

You work in the elements . This happens sometimes and you have to use common sense when to get out and get after it.

Advice to Management

Keep getting more territory and once your company is big enough Force dish to give your company re evaluations on service calls once the tech comes out and finds it has nothing to do with the installation of the tech or anything to do with the company. This is taking money out of (all) pockets.

Add quality to Tier rating and lower unit count per day if you want long term employees. A good installation = a easy upgrade or service when it comes time for this and instead of it taking 3 hours because you have to climb all in the attic it takes a hour and half it will happen also movers if you done the installation good in a rent house when they move out and the next person gets dish its all done just change some small parts and roll. I have this happen a lot . This is one of the perks of doing the job right . As a tech we have certain techs names we see that we know its either going to be hard or easy day
    Be (over) staffed for the busy season. Yes it may cost a little in the short term but long term you will save because 6n1 ,fixing bad work with no extra and not seeing your family is the reason most techs quit and you get to hire new techs and train you have access to the spreadsheets i can only go by the data i see out in the field.

Need a programmer to write a program to allow techs to interactively find what tech is in the same area let you see those routes so if you need a part or a you dont have to rely on management and maybe make your meetup a little more efficient.

For Danny McKinney, visiting offices is healthy . A yearly visit wont hurt anyone. Keep doing a good job .You impact a lot of families now. That will only grow as the company grows.

10. "Being the LeadDog"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a very family business that pushes you in being the very best. The push and drive is for us to being the Lead Dog in our industry, and leading by example. If you are looking for a career, wanting to be the Top Dog, and something you want to retire in. Then this is the company you need to come on board to.

Cons

None that I can write down.

Advice to Management

Keep Doing what you all are doing!