Satmetrix Reviews in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Satmetrix President and Chief Executive Officer Richard M. Owen
Richard M. Owen

Pros
  • The nature of our business - helping companies improve their customer experience -- is gratifying (in 14 reviews)

• The company has always been the leader in Net Promoter software since the early days when it was co-created with Bain (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • New product initiatives are very hit or miss (in 7 reviews)

• Additionally, depending on the department you work in, work/life balance can be awful (in 4 reviews)

"Heading in the right direction with good people at the helm steering."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Satmetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sales has some good qualities here. The day to day grunt work is made better by a fun environment and incentives have been very good so far. The leadership team does their best to help employees from the top down and the transparency in my department has been refreshing and a positive experience.

Cons

- People not knowing what our Product is (lack of good marketing, but they are improving)
    - Open office does not work for everyone

Advice to Management

My management has been great and there is a good open door policy. Keep the growth up, and push the products that are going to set Satmetrix apart thus allowing us increase our sales efforts!

"When I worked here they coerced employees into writing Glassdoor reviews"

I worked at Satmetrix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The are willing to pay above market rates for employees. They are sometimes willing to spend money on interesting systems.

Cons

Downsides of working at satmetrix include: you may find yourself trying to sell a product which does not do what the company claims it does. i was constantly worried about losing my job because i could not get my manager to commit to defining what success looked like, my responsibilities changed frequently, and people at the company did not seem to stay in their roles for very long, (there were a lot of hirings and firings.) I found the environment to be very politically charged, with different people vying with control of their groups - this seemed to be more important to them than making good products or selling them.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice for management. When I was at the company it seemed to me that senior leadership did not value the efforts of employees. I can offer no advice on how to charge what seems to me to be an intrinsic flaw.

Satmetrix Response

Mar 1, 2016 – Head of HR

There was a re-org in Dec and we let go of 4 low performing employees. It's sad that employees take revenge on Glassdoor. We didn't coerced anyone into writing reviews. An email was sent to the ... More

"One Question... when will things change?"

Former Employee - Senior Director, Product Management and Strategy in San Mateo, CA

Pros

People love NPS and the methodology is still relevant to measure business success today. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Cons

Email surveys are dead, the world is moving to mobile and Satmetrix has massive challenges adopting to the modern working environment. The leaders are quite smart but also self-serving. Being previously wealthy, the hunger is missing and management freezes at making the hard decisions needed to put the company on track. Success means 2/3 less headcount, bring all dev back to US and focus on selling the value of the insights to become differentiated.

Advice to Management

Reinvent yourself as a pure-play SaaS company with unique visibility into real-time market trends. It's time for some big hard changes or the next 3 years will be 10x more painful than the last 3.

"Satmetrix"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Great environment. Employees are outgoing.

Cons

Upper management weren't very open regarding status of company, sales, team, etc

"The 2 stars are for the product"

I worked at Satmetrix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good space
    -The product is improving
    - Some of my co workers were great!

Cons

- Business culture that encourages undercutting people and "blame game"
    - Have to watch your back and cutthroat
    - Communication between departments is bad
    - Company vision is blurry and the CEO speaks in cryptic b.s.
    - No room to grow if you are in certain departments and leadership will not do much to help you

Advice to Management

- Promote from within
    - Train employees better
    - Stop shady business practices that encourage a dishonest culture internally

"Direction less"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Satmetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, office near whole foods..now shifted....India office location is also good

Cons

1. Product is not stable
    2. Sales team sells the product with over expectations with the client
    3. Product releases are a complete change over from the existing product
    4. Sales targets are so high that achieving 30% is reasonable!
    5. Consistent interventions from the top management in product outlook

Advice to Management

Sell.....ASAP

"ideal place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Satmetrix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks working at Satmetrix
    -Massage Friday's
    -Fully stocked kitchen
    -Happy Hours
    -Great people to work with
    - CEO Richard is a great guy and loves to laugh, which makes the work environment lovely
    - Always have the TV on for the big sports events. PGA, World Cup, Baseball, Basketball, Ect
    - Great flexibility
    - New HR team has really improved the company overall. I've seen a great change

Cons

- mandatory all hands meetings

"Shameful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Satmetrix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office location is close to Whole Foods.

Cons

A company built on the Golden Rule (do unto others...) is unable and unwilling to practice what they preach. Most of senior staff are arrogant, immature and rude. Minor disagreements become major issues. Run for cover if you ever question the CCO; she'll turn on you with her fangs out. Don't expect any cover from your direct supervisor, either. They all spend their days protecting themselves. Some departments fight internally due to poor leadership and direction. Don't believe the positive reviews; they were written at the request of HR.

Advice to Management

Sell! Soon! You're hurting good people and ruining the reputation of Bain, Fred Reichheld and the Net Promoter Score.

"Great place to work, super people -great new energy and momentum."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Satmetrix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Satmetrix is a great place to work. Energy is high and the market opportunity is huge. The company has always been the leader in Net Promoter software since the early days when it was co-created with Bain. Now Satmetrix has turned itself into the only true cloud software provider for customer experience and voice of the customer programs. Revenue and customer growth is on a tear and the product teams are building great new stuff in areas like social media analytics and self-service software.

Cons

There are some places where the company needs additional resource and hiring to keep pace with growth is sometimes a challenge. Focus on the big wins and make fewer bets to move the needle.

Advice to Management

Speed up the chase on the new market opportunities! The space is really cooking and timing is key. Get more of that market leading expertise into the product!

"Satmetrix blew the greatest opportunity in CEM"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Satmetrix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, exciting engagements.

Cons

No visionary leadership in product, strategy, marketing or sales.

Advice to Management

Get into the details and learn from the frontlines.