Savannah College of Art and Design Reviews | Glassdoor

Savannah College of Art and Design President Paula S. Wallace
Paula S. Wallace

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance during travel is exhausting and you should really prepare yourself for the amount of work/travel" (in 25 reviews)

• "There is absolutely no work-life balance at SCAD" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Programming Tutor"

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time

Pros

Great flexibility in hours and opportunity to practice communication skills with peers, experiencing coding and trouble shooting. Quick feedback from supervisors. Bi-weekly training sessions to help you work with students in resolving issues.

Cons

Assigned tutoring rooms weren't the best, not all the software I needed was there requiring using own laptop/different rooms and sometimes other classes/people were in there.

Advice to Management

Not much advice to give besides continue to build up tutoring program for better resources and more opportunities. Teaching a group of students or providing other resources for them outside of lessons, for example.

2. "Good!"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time

Pros

Good job for full time student

Cons

Can sometimes be difficult to get certain positions

3. "Campus Rep"

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time

Pros

Easy money and not a big time commitment

Cons

Not really bringing value to the company, tasks assigned very last minute

"Faculty"

Pros

Creative environment, dynamic professors, spanish moss

Cons

Faculty are treated with disrespect and like kids by upper management

Advice to Management

Faculty are humans, too.

5. "docent"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time

Pros

great environment to network with artists

Cons

it might get boring at times!

"Terrible, humilliating experience"

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time

Pros

Some employees are quite passionate, knowledgeable and energetic.

Cons

Where to begin. On my first day at SCAD I was impressed by the buildings. the history, what seemed to be an academic fairy tale. Soon enough, I began to see the cracks and the many many issues that this institution has. The Executive administration is fueled by fear, intimidation and gossip. There is no respect whatsoever for the employees work life balance and traveling with PW is the most demeaning, humiliating experience a person could have. She's setting goals for the university wanting to reap what she did not sow.

"It's all a show, employees are the least of their concern"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time

Pros

the people in the office are all very nice

Cons

expect very little in return for your work, and to be asked to do a lot.

"Passionate employees and passionate students"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time

Pros

I’ve met incredible people working here that are some of the most talented group of individuals. The students and alumni will blow you away with their ideas and work.

Cons

As an employee, you are under valued, there are a lot of politics and paying their employees what they are worth is not a priority. It can be very cut throat and unethical in how some area treated.

"Bait and switch"

Former Employee - Director of Curriculum Management in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Curriculum Management in Savannah, GA

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people at SCAD. I admired and respected many of my coworkers and developed strong personal and professional bonds with colleagues in many departments and disciplines. Leaving those friendships behind was the most difficult part of my decision to leave my position with the university.

Cons

I came to SCAD excited to be part of an innovative, creative, and energized community centered on preparing students to excel in creative fields. I yearned to make a meaningful contribution to my team in these efforts; yet, the occasions when I felt that my contributions were welcomed or meaningful were extremely limited by a controlling and critical administration. In the eyes of the leadership of my department, I seemed to be most useful at performing rote tasks like formatting documents, organizing files, and producing repetitive reports that required no creative or critical thought -- in spite of having two master’s degrees and over a decade of experience in higher education, most of that experience at an art and design college.

When I was promoted to a director-level role in my department, I believed I would finally have the opportunity to draw from the skills and experiences I had cultivated through my own education and career to make meaningful improvements to processes that had become cumbersome and outdated. I had worked hard to build rapport with faculty and academic leadership, and I thought I could build consensus through transparency and clear communication of policies and procedures. Sadly, the opposite was true. All planning and decision making took place at the executive-level, often without consulting me about actions that would directly impact not only myself and my staff, but the university as a whole. I spent my time, including many late nights and most weekends, transferring other people’s work into the correct formats and then refereeing the conflicts created between faculty and administration due to lack of communication. Every day, people were angry with me about decisions that I had no control over, and I received little support or even consideration from the people responsible for the decisions that eroded the rapport I had worked so hard to build over the years. I often had to reverse prior communications regarding deadlines, timelines, and policies because the authority of my position was meaningless when it created any inconvenience for upper administration.

In short, SCAD has a leadership problem. Upper administration neglects the professional development of employees with significant experience and potential by reducing them to meaningless data entry or clerical responsibilities. They create an environment that is professionally discouraging through derisively criticizing others’ work, failing to recognize contributions and accomplishments of all but a select group of favorite team members, and showing no awareness of the struggles or aspirations of their employees. While they tout collaboration as a key university value, in reality they are seeking enthusiastic conformity and compliance with the wishes of the administration. They are motivated by fear of losing their own power or position and engage in bullying, cut-throat competition, and in-fighting at the cost of the employees who produce the work that makes them successful.

If you value your own career and professional development and if you want to be valued as part of a team effort, be very cautious in accepting a position at SCAD. If you are content to draw a good paycheck while you follow orders without question and give unconditional accolades to an administration driven by a quest for power, money, and recognition (as opposed to student learning, employee well-being, and academic freedom), it could be a fine fit for you.

Advice to Management

I believe SCAD could be a great place to work, but it would require a profound culture shift starting with the highest levels of leadership. When morale is low, the administration gives employees more money or new titles or plans some kind of department entertainment, but they ultimately avoid addressing or even acknowledging any of the root issues, so the low morale returns and employee retention issues persist. It was difficult for me to come to the decision that working at an institution with so much promise and potential was no longer professionally or personally sustainable, but a marked improvement in my mental health and the respect I experienced immediately in my new workplace have reinvigorated my professional aspirations, evidence that it was the right decision.

"Seeing Improvement"

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time

Pros

Academics are a true strength and the students truly show a passion for what they do

Cons

A lot of money seems to go into all the bells and whistles with new tech and events (that might not always be so beneficial and seem more just a ploy to put on the brochure)