Savannah College of Art and Design Reviews

Savannah College of Art and Design President Paula S. Wallace
Paula S. Wallace
  1. "20 Years."

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A very exciting and stimulating environment. The international campuses provides opportunities to teach abroad.

Cons

The 10-week terms can be demanding, but this is mitigated by longer breaks between terms.

"Disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

SCAD has some excited students, and some decent facilities.

Cons

SCAD failed to support their teachers, particularly in regards to communication. I had emails unanswered by department heads, and was blindsided by my dismissal, after 10 years. Basically I figured it out after they shut down my SCAD email address. Terriblewsy to handle people.

"Toxic Culture"

Former Employee - Professor in Savannah, GA

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beautiful city and fun students, good benefits and compensation

Cons

Nepotism, cronyism, narcissistic and inept leaders.

4. "A Place To Grow"

Former Employee - Student Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Comfortable environment In-Depth learning experience about customer service Flexible Great opportunities to move forward

Cons

Not any to be honest

5. "Great part time job!"

Former Employee - Student Office Assistant in Savannah, GA

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great job for developing better admin skills, customer service skills, and looks great on your resume! Also fits right into your class schedule.

Cons

No cons, this is a good part time job if you're a student who wants a little work experience on campus.

"Beautiful town"

Current Employee - Professor in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Faculty and friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons

The teaching load is very heavy.

7. "Could be better"

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and great organizational resources

Cons

Many expectations and no work-life balance

"Stay away..."

Former Employee - Professor in Savannah, GA

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Student artistic ability is generally high and students are generally very bright. Facilities are generally good and up to date. Annual raises are fair and dependable – relatively low starting pay can rise fairly quickly over time. Fellow faculty relationships can be rewarding, Savannah is a great place.

Cons

The school is run in an autocratic fashion. There is no academic free speech. Faculty tend to work in constant fear of being disciplined. Year to year contract is signed every March. School hires deans and chairs internationally so they are less inclined to quit. Contract includes $5000 penalty if a professor quits. Workload is heavy 3-4 classes) and there’s often pressure to teach one or two more for significantly less than regular pay. Denim pants can’t be worn. Open-toed shoes and Tennis shoes can’t be worn. Students (customers) have more power than faculty and can get faculty in trouble for any errant “trigger” word. SCAD the school is non-profit, but only because they rent all the many SCAD buildings from the SCAD group. Claims of graduate placement are extremely inflated and deceptive. Very little to no opportunity for advancement... faculty are seen as expendable.

Continue reading

"It's all about the image - a sand castle"

Former Employee - Professor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good facilities, events, and exposure for the students, good benefits, good vacation time - three months in summer and one month in winter (as long as you can negotiate not to teach extra classes), some very talented (but oppressed) co-workers and students.

Cons

Highly toxic work environment, poor work-life balance, no opportunity or support for personal or professional growth, grossly underqualified and incompetent managers, fascist leadership, unethical practices, capitalist corporate mentality.

Continue reading

"Wonderful students, talented professors...exploited by toxic administration"

Current Employee - Professor in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Passionate students, freedom to be creative in designing courses, helpful colleagues

Cons

1. Students are asked to pay an incredible amount of money for tuition, room, and board, and SCAD can't be bothered to give back to them. To wit, the food in the Hive cafe literally looks like it was gathered from a dumpster. Really. There is an entire Instagram account dedicated to it. 2. Upper management isn't connected to the needs or concerns of faculty, staff, or students. They're concern is with branding, profit, and developing SCAD...but in the way that a fast food franchise would be obsessed with opening new locations. 3. There are layers and layers of needless middle management and people are shifted between jobs, sometimes for no logical reason. People often end up in jobs that they are, through no fault of their own, not at all qualified for. 4. Profs are overworked and underpaid. But, really, that's true everywhere. What's awful about SCAD is that professors are seen as liabilities. They are people who need freedom and support to communicate with students openly and honestly about curriculum...but also about what it takes to become the sort of person they can be proud of. But admin fears academic freedom because it approaches the classroom the way corporate American would. Profs need to become PR people that will stay on message. As a result, academic freedom is non existent. Critical feedback--that could be used to help SCAD grow is stamped out. Faculty are micromanaged, infantilized, rarely praised, underpaid, and yet we are the reason SCAD is great. We protect students from all of the greed that is the ethos of upper management. 6. If you can stay out of admin's way, you'll have a decent experience...for awhile. But I've been straight up lied to so many times that I have to leave. The lies? About salary? About job prospects? About additional work I do that they "can't afford to pay." I loved the students and would have loved to stay, but the admin wears you down. It's tragic because SCAD has so much promise. Students realize it. They get sad about it. They hate it for us. They're not stupid. But if they really about all the ways they were exploited they would be shocked.

Found 367 reviews