Savannah College of Art and Design Reviews | Glassdoor

Savannah College of Art and Design President Paula S. Wallace
Paula S. Wallace

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance during travel is exhausting and you should really prepare yourself for the amount of work/travel" (in 26 reviews)

• "There is absolutely no work-life balance at SCAD" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great program"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time

Pros

Good pay for work study, training opportunities

Cons

We should be able to work more hours

"The Shiny is Only Skin Deep"

Former Employee - Department Chair in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Department Chair in Savannah, GA

I worked at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- I love the fact that the best students have access to all the celebrities that are paid to attend the events.
    - I love love the chance to travel to all the SCAD locations and not get to upgrade to a more comfortable seat for the 13-hour flight since they always buy the cheapest tickets.
    - I love love love that the president's office teaches us how to use push pins for every single amazing event we put on to celebrate the student's work.
    - I am ecstatic about the five duplicate, but different reports that we get to create for five separate non-academic departments that have more power and obviously understand what my students need better than myself.
    - I thoroughly enjoy the digital dashboards that dictate every strategic decision, every raise, and all the president's forced initiatives; I do however wish they were based on correct data.....at least once, and perhaps not a few years old. Please.

Cons

- Extreme leadership distance.
    - Bloated middle management desert where everyone delegates and nothing gets done.
    - Typical email response > "Your opinions are not needed, please do not submit them to your supervisor. We will discuss these at your annual review."
    - The beautiful environments are horrible to work in.
    - The SCAD Secrets website is, unfortunately, an authentic collection of stories about the culture of the corporation. I have witnessed almost all of these stories firsthand.
    - The numbers for graduation, job placement, and success rates are all false. They are always inflated and forged for marketing propaganda.
    - Unfortunately, it's typical for leadership to be two-faced and stab you in the back for their interests.
    - Faculty that stays for an extended period are usually burnt-out, beat-down, and have given up fighting to create something other than app developers.

Advice to Management

- Most of the leadership have no business leading. They are narcissistic and pad their own pockets with the success of the students. Please step down.

- The culture is toxic and very scary once you learn about all the legal, sexual, and financial issues that are covered up and paid to go away. Fix this.

- Please acknowledge that Savannah is a very dangerous city. SCAD does a great job of hiding this when giving tours instead of working with the city to help deal with the issues. The students and faculty are living and working in environments that are life-threatening.

- When you hire smart, creative rebels, let them be that. Don't clip their wings, sterilize, and control them so that you can hype that they are faculty at SCAD. You typically reprimand those that are still full of passion and are trying to push the experience of education.

3. "Enjoyed my time, can be tough."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent pay for Savannah, GA
    - Work life balance is good
    - Can use facilities
    - Events
    -Community

Cons

- Living in Savannah isn't always great
    - Not much time off

4. "Amazing experience"

Current Employee - Gallery Docent At SCAD MOA in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Gallery Docent At SCAD MOA in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to be exposed to art and international artist of all backgrounds and to work with a DREAM team. It is an excellent environment for a part time while at SCAD, drama free, educational, full of opportunities and great experiences and above all, amazing people

Cons

Payment for this part time is not great, not the worst either.

5. "Amazing"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time

Pros

People and the environment are amazing.

Cons

I have a great experience.

6. "Responsible for student's overall development"

Current Employee - Graduate Mentor in Savannah, GA

Pros

Amazing experience to work with budding designers and managers

Cons

Better training opportunities for mentors which would include strategical moves.

Advice to Management

I think its perfect!

7. "Admission Representative"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time

Pros

Great team of people to work with. Management is always there to help solve issues.

Cons

None that seem pertinent.

8. "Professor review"

Current Employee - Professor in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Professor in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great campus, excellent facilities, location. Great employees

Cons

I just started so none yet

"Orientation Assistant"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design part-time

Pros

This job provides great learning opportunities for students looking to hold leadership positions.

Cons

Not meant for people not interested in interacting with people.

Advice to Management

They worked with us and taught us accordingly.

"Graphic Designer"

I have been working at Savannah College of Art and Design full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global exposure of your work, good health benefits, good retirement, annual cost of living increase, occasional bonuses, good real-world experience

Cons

Limited work/life balance, shallow tolerance for mistakes, upper management creates a fearful working environment at times

Advice to Management

Treat your employees how you would like to be treated by your authority. Don't micro-manage; allow your subordinates to shine once in a while. Mistakes happen; it doesn't have to be anyone's fault.