Save the Children Reviews

Updated Sep 17, 2020

3.6
Save the Children President and CEO Janti Soeripto (no image)
Janti Soeripto
Cons

"A great charitable organization with real reach into the community"

5.0
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Save the Children full-time for less than a year

Pros

The communication was consistent from every different facet of the organization.

Cons

Distance when trying to meet with executives at a time that video conference was not always available.

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much! We appreciate the work you did for us... and we get how it can be challenging to work with everyone across time zones--the struggle is REAL, but I think you'd find that most are always willing to do what it takes!

2. "Great mission, bad leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Fairfield, CT

I worked at Save the Children full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and a good mission

Cons

Trying to tackle way too much, with little direction from senior leadership

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your review. You're right... we have an incredible mission, and with that, it can be hard to keep focus narrow. After all, our name is "Save the Children." How do you put a limit on that? Rest assured--our senior leaders do read these comments, and are very interested in your feedback. If you have anything specific to share, we are all ears, and invite you to share your thoughts on how we can do better! Please feel free to reach out to me directly at tferrett@savechildren.org, and we'll set up some time to talk!

3. "Opinion"

Former Employee - Family Service Coordinator in Alexandria, LA

I worked at Save the Children full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The staff was good to work with.

Cons

You only have 5 personal days to take off a year.

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your review. The work in our Head Start programs is so important, and we're proud of what you all have accomplished so far. It's true that the leave in our Head Start locations is a bit different from our other offices, but that's largely due to the fact that you're working in a school... and that everyone's presence is important to the learning, development and protection of the children we serve. We appreciate all that you did for us!

4. "Opportunities to be involved in change processes"

Former Employee - Senior Specialist

I worked at Save the Children full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dedicated, passionate colleagues. Inspiring programs to improve lives of children. Regularly asking - what can we do more for children? (Which means there are opportunities to adjust ways of working)

Cons

With such a large mandate and mission, there are often many initiatives and conflicting demands. At times it can feel like leaders have a hard time prioritizing, particularly noting the complexity and interdependencies across members, fundraising, and country offices.

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your review, and for your hard work while you were with us. You're right... the people here are amazing, and we're working harder (and smarter!) than ever to do whatever it takes for children. It's hard to put a limit on our work, but priorities do help. We wish you all the best in your new endeavors, and hope that you'll stay in touch!

"Passionate staff with a great mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at Save the Children full-time

Pros

Mission, work/life balance (for some), flexibility, friendly senior leadership team

Cons

We get in our own way a lot. Not a ton of room for growth.

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your honest feedback. You might be interested to know that we actually have a 37% internal movement rate, which means people are indeed growing and moving around the organization. If you have some specific feedback that you'd like to share.... we are all ears! Please reach out to your HR Business Advisor, or drop me a note at tferrett@savechildren.org... we're listening!

6. "Rewarding"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Program Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Save the Children full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Mission driven - 100% job satisfaction - Plenty opportunities for career growth - Benefits include 3+ weeks annual leave, 2 weeks family leave, sick leave, fully paid maternity and paternity leave, flexibility to work from home.

Cons

I have worked for private companies before and I’ve seen so much cons there. Save the Children is an amazing agency, I can’t think of any Cons.

Director, Talent Acquisition

What a lovely thing to say! To be fair, every organization has challenges, but we're thrilled that you're so happy in your choice to join us!! Stay safe out there, and if there's ever anything we can do, your HR team is always nearby!!

7. "Recent Reorganization"

Former Employee - Specialist

I worked at Save the Children full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, remote work available.

Cons

Heavy workload, your team may not be efficient or helpful, and the recent reorganization removed many devoted workers with little notice.

Director, Talent Acquisition

Hi there! Thanks for your kind words. I'm not familiar with a recent reorganization... perhaps it was within your team? In any case, we're glad that your experience was a good one, and know that we absolutely want to stay in touch with you!

"The most traumatic period in my life..."

1.0
    Former Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Save the Children full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work they do is truly incredible; so many children are assisted through their programs!

Cons

I'm not sure about the other offices, but the DC office was a total disaster. The leadership treats "junior" staff like utter trash, they refuse to let people speak up without retaliating against them, they are snarky/rude. I left Save the Children in 2019, and have joined another organization. I just want to say, I am finally at peace and realize how toxic that environment was for my health and overall wellbeing.

Director, Talent Acquisition

You've got our attention. NO employer likes to hear the words "traumatic" and "toxic" about our work culture, and if we can, we want to do something about it. If you haven't shared your feedback with a member of our HR staff, we are still open to speaking with you. You can reach out to me directly by emailing tferrett@savechildren.org... your feedback can help us do better!

"Surprisingly dysfunctional"

2.0
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Save the Children full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like the non-hierarchal office spaces. (Leaders sit in open desks and cubicles.) Staff are pleasant and HR does a good job in trying to create a fun and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Lack of training. They throw you into projects with no training and hope you float. Low salaries compared to other international development orgs. Highly under-resourced in terms of staff. Creates dysfunction, long hours and overworking (Compared to other NGOs). Work life balance is non-existent. CT office needs more diversity

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your feedback... and we appreciate your directness and honesty around your experience. We do work hard (there's no end to the mission of saving children), but we do want to do what we can to bring work life balance to the agency. If you have any additional feedback that you'd like to share, please do reach out to me at tferrett@savechildren.org. Your feedback helps us to get better!

"Amazing impact, corporate environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Save the Children full-time for more than a year

Pros

When it comes to development and humanitarian organizations, few have the scope and scale of impact as Save. In every crisis, save is on the ground responding and has the capacity to mobilize resources quickly. Great place to learn and gain exposure to development and humanitarian programming

Cons

I have worked at a lot of NGOs and Save has a distinctly corporate feel. This may not bother some people but it irks me. All of the processes are very beauracratic which make day-to-day work really frustrating at times. While Save is a leader in the program development space, they do have a long way to go when it comes to promoting a healthy work life balance. For an organization that seeks to make life better for organizations around the world, vacation days are below par when compared to other NGOs and they are behind the curve when it comes to remote work flexibility. Hope they work on addressing these issues. People are overworked are it contributes to a tense feeling around the office environment

Found 346 reviews