Save the Children "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Save the Children Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Nov 23, 2019

3.5
Save the Children President & CEO Carolyn Miles
Carolyn Miles
Pros
  • "wonderful work environment with helpful staff(in 30 reviews)

• "People understand the desire for work/life balance and the full time employees are very respectful of each other's time(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "poor senior management, overworked(in 16 reviews)

• "takes advantage of those lowest on the totem pole (temps /new hires), lots of upper management(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Lovely place to work"

Current Employee - Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Save the Children full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have worked for Save the Children for over 7 years. It is a relaxed, fun, supportive and family-friendly work environment. The leadership (including C-suite) are all very approachable and transparent with staff and with their decision-making processes. There is also a culture of addressing problems head-on and moving forward, which I have not seen in many other organizations. The benefits are wonderful, with generous leave, including family leave, community-service leave and generous retirement benefits.

Cons

1. Although I've been happy with my salary, the buzz in the business is that our salaries are low compared to the industry standard. 2. For international work, the bureaucracy makes it difficult to get things done and move money and work to field offices. 3. New CEO starting in January 2020, so there is some uncertainty about the direction this will take the organization. 4. Opportunities for growth are limited and although there is a lot of racial and ethnic diversity in rank and file employees, the higher up you go, the "whiter" the organization it gets.

Advice to Management

Provide clearer career progression paths for employees. Take a real look at how well you are providing equal opportunities for people of diverse backgrounds to advance.

Save the Children2019-10-10

"Not a very rewarding experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Save the Children

Pros

A large company with many smart people who are working with you together

Cons

Very disjointed work environment. As an intern, you really have no idea what is happening outside your own cubie desk, not to mention the rest of your team. In addition, there are very few upward mobilities after the internship and no one will recommend you or refer you to a full-time position. I don't think they regard you as a real employee. Instead, you are just an intern and you are done once you have finished it. That's it. Lastly, it's a completely unpaid position with no compensation at all.

Advice to Management

Please build a connection with your former interns. My supervisor even has not replied to my email after my internship when I asked for a reference. VERY NEGATIVE AND UPSET!

Save the Children2019-08-12
  3. "Very corporate, not a good environment, and not a lot of work"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Save the Children for less than a year

Pros

My supervisor in specific was very nice. She was always making sure I was satisfied with the internship and was vouching for me. She made my time there enjoyable. A lot of professional development opportunities and brown bags. They give you a good amount of responsibilities.

Cons

During my internship I didn't do anything that I had signed up for when I applied to the specific internship position. I didn't do one single thing that was in the original JD, and of course I only found out I was going to be doing something different on my first day. I communicated that with the team but they kept saying "you're only part-time and you are not here everyday blah blah blah". Also, I didn't like the work environment. Not a lot of collaboration and employees have no idea what's happening with the rest of the organization (the classic cubicle setup makes it hard too to be fair). I had one person coming to me and saying "thank you for the power point you made" even though it was the another intern from another department who made it. Another example was within my department there was a lot of gossiping and senior staff being very immature, like getting really upset and "punishing" someone when that someone would go and tell their supervisors something they were unhappy with. Lastly, it is a very corporate and hierarchical company. For example, I was looking for full-time positions and asked my supervisor to serve as one of my references. She informed that Save does not allow employees to serve as references for interns, they can only confirm the dates of the internship. That was the first time I heard of something like this and was very disappointed. On the other hand, I'm a "millennial" and used to small companies that have an open space set up, which I personally prefer. So maybe these things wouldn't bother you if you prefer large "traditional" organizations.

Advice to Management

Make sure the job descriptions are accurate. Train your senior staff to be more understanding/considerate towards their supervisees needs and that they act professionally at all times.

Save the Children2019-05-09

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Fairfield, CT

I worked at Save the Children full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission and impact on the lives of children

Cons

Toxic culture, poor leadership, lack of focus, diversity and inability to make decisions. The work environment encourages employees to work in silos, is highly competitive, political and employees will do anything to get ahead. There is no courage or willingness to address bad behavior, bullying, exclusion and poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Address bad behavior, toxic culture and weak leadership and measure activity throughout the agency having little to no impact. Focus more on "how" people are treated each day and less on the big celebrations.

Save the Children2018-10-22

"Stay Away"

I have been working at Save the Children full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only reason to work at this company is the mission. The work done to help others is amazing.

Cons

There is no work/life balance and the compensation is appalling. Weeks if not months of back to back mandatory 60-80 hour work weeks strains personal relationships and causes burnout. There is no overtime compensation for salaried employees. Vacation and sick days are frequently not allowed to be taken with looming deadlines. Internally there is a saying that we save everyone's children but our own, there's a reason for that. As with any workplace some colleagues are amazing and some are horrible. Unfortunately bullies thrive in this work environment as whomever screams the loudest wins. So people who treat others horribly are the individuals who tend to get promoted. Management tries to solve the staff shortage of executors by hiring more management to tell people what to do. Nepotism is also a frequent problem as you'll notice revolving doors of individuals coming from the same previous company. Turnover rate tends to be two years during good times. People used to rotate out at lower positions and back into higher positions.

Advice to Management

Appropriately compensate your staff and bring back the 35 hour work week. Allow people to take their vacation. Reward rather than punish your long term employees. When staff complain listen rather than blowing them off. Rotating senior management followed by layoffs creates an environment of fear. The fallout is toxic. Focus on appropriate staffing over constantly hiring vendors.

Save the Children2018-04-02

"Team leader-Health"

I worked at Save the Children full-time

Pros

Great learning experience on humanitarian programs and working in multicultural diverse working environment.

Cons

High work load. Low salary.

Save the Children2017-10-22

"Great mission"

I have been working at Save the Children full-time

Pros

Save the Children has a great mission and offers strong programs throughout the world. I also like that they work in the US. There is a professional working environment and the management has people with a lot of experience.

Cons

It seems like money coming in is the only thing that matters. They burn through senior positions very quickly and it causes a lot of instability and uncertainty for everyone else.

Advice to Management

Work on treating people with dignity and not as a means to an end. Either hire your senior staff better or be more reasonable with your expectations.

Save the Children2017-08-22

"Great Mission"

I have been working at Save the Children

Pros

Passionate employees, flexible work environment.

Cons

Too many exceptions, not enough rules.

Save the Children2016-03-07
  9. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Save the Children for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed my team and the opportunities to learn about the work they are doing. It also seems possible to find more opportunities within the organization following an internship. Very helpful team and positive work environment. Unpaid, but some benefits in the way of educational and networking opportunities.

Cons

It took me quite a bit of effort to get projects that were more than simple administrative tasks. Rather than having tasks prepared from the get go, my supervisor started reaching out for tasks after I arrived, meaning some delay before I could actually be productive.

Advice to Management

To use interns more effectively, it would be helpful to have a more clear plan for intern responsibilities from the start.

Save the Children2016-02-04

"Finance Manager"

Manager, Donor Reporting & Financial Analyst in Fairfield, CT

I worked at Save the Children for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, help the kids around the world.

Cons

Bad work environment. A lot of politics.

Advice to Management

Give employee more authority.

Save the Children2016-03-03