Savers Health and Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2019

Found 116 reviews

Savers Health and Beauty CEO Doug Winchester
Doug Winchester
Pros
  • "Good team members and manager, Superdrug discount card(in 11 reviews)

• "There are many good reason for me to work at Savers in Catford I have always had a nice ad happy welcoming, as soon as I step into the store(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Favouritism is rife amongst area managers(in 14 reviews)

• "I can not think of any bad things to say about savers all I know is that if there is a situation I know it will be sorted straight away(in 11 reviews)

"Employee."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Kent, WA

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some lovely People to work with. 30% off at superdrug even through they never sent me one as they messed up with my email when putting into the system.

Cons

SAS! I love doing this, only problem is no commission or anything from selling. I’m on the till for 4 hours and 9/10 I double my targets. Sometimes making over £150 just on sas. Surely you should get some sort of reward if you go over target. I also had to speak to my assistant manager about speaking to people like crap and putting them down. This is not acceptable. However I did get an apology.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff. We are the ones who do the SAS, making more money for the company.

Savers Health and Beauty2019-05-17
  2. "Hard work for little reward"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good teammates can make it tolerable

Cons

No sitting down, sometimes standing behind a till for 10 hours a day. Constant pushing to sell and meet difficult SAS targets A lot of pressure put on to sell and management are never satisfied, no rewards for doing well You could be top in the company for selling and you would still only get a £2 scratch card as a reward Very little is spent on equipment in store, the mops are of very low quality and... it’s difficult to mop an entire shop within 15 minutes. Often threatened with being made to stay late until the shop is fully mopped properly. Usually only one kick stool and one price gun which makes it difficult to query customer questions and to keep the store neat.

Advice to Management

The constant use of the word push for selling sas really wears thin, people try their best but you cannot force people to buy things they do not want. Targets are always unrealistic and “giving sas a push” really doesn’t do anything when people are already trying their best. The company want you to force people to smell testers by holding it out to them and some people are allergic and it could cause them to suffer... a reaction. We get no rewards for selling, only a sigh of relief that we won’t be in red that week and get a talking to.

Savers Health and Beauty2019-09-24
  3. "Nice place for retail"

Former Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in London, England

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team members and manager, Superdrug discount card

Cons

Early starts, expected to do lots in short time

Advice to Management

Non, management was good

Savers Health and Beauty2019-09-21
  4. "Meh."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time

Pros

Hmmm.. this may take a while. I’ve met a nice manager and 2 nice assistant managers but the obsession with scs is extreme. What am i getting out of this? i do not know

Cons

Haven’t got superdrug discount, I have been bullied by an assistant manager for the past few days he has been covering my actual manager. He hasn’t bullied anyone else just been picking on me constantly especially about scs! Giving me £60 targets for an 4 hour shift and getting my face telling me i am not doing the scs properly and trying hard enough when i am asking every customer and trying my best but how can i... get people to buy £20 perfumes/tooth brush’s and £15 razors when they clearly are not interested in the products on “offer”. I understand active selling but if it’s like a pound chocolate bar or something like b&m/pound shop do. But come on! I am also the youngest in my team and i am being be littled even though i am the one covering shifts and doing extra ones since everyone who has been hired have children and are limited to their hours. I have been coming in at 6am too help open up the store and put out delivery and i’m getting talked about by staff members as “younger people can not handle retail” and cannot do the job. So.. yeah my first month at savers started off fun and good but after i am realising how much work i am putting in and how little i am getting out of it. I mean what am i getting out of scs? please someone tell me. The whole trips and bags etc are a con that we are told about at the interview, i was told this by a member of an different store. I am debating just leaving but i like my manager and i enjoy the job but this scs is a load of rubbish and just isn’t needed. I am there to do a job in retail not be a slave and bullied by older team members just because i am young.

Advice to Management

Get rid of scs and sort out your staff/assistant managers :))

Savers Health and Beauty2019-09-26
  5. "Bad management"

Current Employee - Supervisor in North Watford, England

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

No pros, nothing that i can be happy about

Cons

Bad management, poor management blabla

Advice to Management

Change management

Savers Health and Beauty2019-10-11
  6. "Hard work but a great team makes it easier"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in York, England

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Often have a brilliant team Above minimum wage Potential to earn rewards Company christmas nights out

Cons

Active selling can be hard work due to the type of products/customers incredibly difficult to be entered into SAS rewards (low incentives for SAS)

Savers Health and Beauty2019-09-01
  7. "Mixed reviews"

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Superdrug discount Loyal customers Fun Marie curie events

Cons

Long hrs Short staffed Non existent air con for staff and customers

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-29
  8. "Not a place for outsiders"

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff are pleasant though unreliable. Store is mostly busy at all times. Supportive management team. Experienced management are beneficial . Very few knowledgeable team members. Being able to complete stock taking tasks on a handheld system.

Cons

Unorganized deliveries. Constant restrictions on hours. Too many tasks make it difficult to maintain shop floor standards. No item location system in place. No specified training for outside management. Relaxed approach from company when disciplining those that are late or absent. Little ambition from majority of team. Back office system is almost unmanageable. No warehouse organisation system in place.... Internal theft is rife. Management will attempt to change your working pattern last minute unless confronted directly. The attempts to keep the store looking immaculate with low staff numbers. Terrible clocking in/out system. No discounts for staff in store.

Advice to Management

Investment in your store teams will pay out long term. If you're hiring management outside the company, having a training system in place would work well to integrate them into the company and build a relationship that they wouldn't want to break. Stop placing the focus on KPI performance in stores and look at their actual year on year growth for progress.

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-25
  9. "AVOID AT ALL COSTS!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Quitting was the only pro thing about this place.

Cons

Absolutely everything. When I started it was okay for the first month then I started to get terribly bullied by management. Everyday I would be spoke down to like trash. Told I wasn’t doing enough SAS. Mind you the stuff we had to sell it’s obvious no ones going to buy them. On some days I would do really well and told I would get a letter of recognition. Never did. They had supervisors younger than me not having a... clue how to handle anything or do anything. I was made to sweep and mop the full shop on my own every shift. If I did not do it in 10 minutes I would get a mouthful before leaving. I was coming home in tears. That depressed I had to switch the store I was at. Thinking it might have just been that one. Nope. It got even worse when I moved. I was bullied to the point of quitting my job. I reported them to HR but nothing was done. Absolutely awful place to work. Unless you want to feel useless. Like garbage and be bullied. Then this is perfect for you. The pay is awful and they make you work over time unpaid. They get angry when you need a holiday. Just stay away! If I could rate 0 stars I would!

Advice to Management

No disrespect for staff or customers. Management would often stick her fingers up to customers once they turned there back and left the store. I was disgusted as she was a grown woman acting 10. Managers are extremely lazy. Do not clean up after themselves. Expect the younger staff to manage everything. Speak down to everyone and bully. I seen 5 people join and leave by the time I was there. I was only there for one... year. What does that say about this disgusting company. Ridiculous!

Savers Health and Beauty2019-09-11
  10. "Friendly, Relaxed, Stressful."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Bolton, England

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-> Very friendly teams -> Very relaxed environment -> Management are easy going and actually listen to their teams. -> Great support network. -> Easy access to lots of support, help and advice. -> All managers, area managers and head office have an open door policy, you're free to speak to any for advice given its appropriate.

Cons

-> Extremely long hours during busy periods, stock takes, Christmas -> Being salaried means you can work 50-60 hours and only be paid for 39. -> Deliveries always have problems, usually leading to massive stressful weeks and area managers getting annoyed and expecting more and more out of you. -> Times of extreme stress and pressure.

Advice to Management

Store Management are fine. Area managers need to understand sometimes their managers need help without asking for it, during times of massive stress it would be nice to have a lending hand, or actually spend a few more hours to get stuff done instead of expecting store management to pull 12 hour shifts every day.

Savers Health and Beauty2019-08-06