Savers Health and Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Savers Health and Beauty Managing Director Doug Winchester
Doug Winchester

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great team members are recognised for their efforts (in 4 reviews)

• Hours lunch break, fast paced always something to do and Lovely co workers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Area managers are very distant, only care about meeting unrealistic targets with next to nothing resources (in 8 reviews)

• Hard work and long hours but I only worked about 43 ish as managed task and my own time and team planner (in 4 reviews)

1. "Savers!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing support off the area manager!
    Amazing Perks e.g. Superdrug discount
    Wages are done fairly!

Cons

I haven't found any yet ahahaha

Advice to Management

If you are looking to join savers then I would! Have have worked for the company for 3 years and worked my way up from the bottom to now a store manager! The shop I was give was left in a mess from the previous manager and with out the support of my area manager and other managers on my area my new shop would have gone under! With out all the amazing managers and the best area manager that the company has to offer then I wouldn't be who I am today and I would y be where I am!

Sep 1, 2017

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this lovely feedback - we are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your time with us!

Thanks Savers

2. "Good perks, poor worklife balance"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok pay... For retail.
    Good team ethic across the company.
    Benefits better than most retail jobs. Stores or colleagues can win prizes over several categories.
    Chance of a bonus.

Cons

You really have to put Savers first.
    Having to work a lot of extra hours for free to a company that makes many millions in profits.
    Too great a workload compared to hours allocated to stores.

Advice to Management

Understand that you ask a lot more of your colleagues than most retailers. Work towards making colleagues lives easier and reduce workload. Not constantly add new things to do without increasing workload. Consider things slowly instead of kneejerk reactions which are poor in the long term.

Aug 21, 2017

Hi thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! If you wish to speak to us in more detail please email Nicole.payne@uk.aswatson.com

3. "JUST DONT DO IT"

Current Employee - Retail Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Associate

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time

Pros

Superdrug discount card with 10% branded products and 30% Superdrug's own products

Cons

Constantly rushing you at your job, telling you your till doesn't add up when they miscalculated the money, managers confront you in front of customers, managers speak behind your back even if you can hear them, customers are rude, meeting targets when selling SAS, customers get annoyed when we ask them if they would like to purchase any of the SAS items for example perfume or razor sets, being told to "get a grip" by your manager

Advice to Management

Advice to management, get a grip of yourself, don't speak down to your colleagues when you have a duty of care to look after us.

Aug 21, 2017

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry that you felt the work/life balance was not to your liking. We do like to push our products as we would love to let everyone know... More

4. "Good and bad like most companies"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good bonus scheme
    Opportunity to progress

Cons

Work over and don't get paid for all time and big work load

Advice to Management

As part of a management team you can share the work load if everyone pulls there weight.

Aug 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback! We strive ourselves on our internal succession!

5. "Great place to work"

Pros

Family environment, opoprtunities to grow & make a difference, great colleagues, good benefits, engagement - Times Top 30 best company

Cons

No negatives - just understand that it is retail so fast paced and selling is key

Aug 21, 2017

Thank you for this lovely feedback!

6. "Apprenticeship"

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Savers have helped me to improve how i interact with other people within the business as I now know how to reposnd to enquiries appropriately and my confidence has grown immensely

Cons

As an apprentice, you would expect to be offered loads of apportunities to learn and grow, yet i feel like i am just another employee who is given all of the leftover work that everyone else doesn't have time to do. i often feel overworked and underpaid for the role i am actually doing within Savers.

Advice to Management

Management should evaluate how apprenticeships actually work within the business and set the job role around the whole 'learning' aspect instead of expecting us to work as any other employee, just on a lower wage. I have to complete the apprenticeship booklets on top of everything, instead of them being entwined with my role. I would also recommend that 1 hour a week to do the booklets is definitely not enough time, as i am often only given 6 week to complete 3-4 booklets (that's only 6 hours, where a college course offering the same/similar qualification allows you 6 weeks at 30+ hours a week)

7. "Overworked, undervalued"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic team. Some good workers, hard, dedicated and easy to make friends with. Not colleagues, friends.

Money isn't too bad for supervisors, above living wage. And all the ages does go up yearly with an end of the year bonus for management staff. - but you have to have almost 0 absences, meet most targets and have review reports to be good.

Cons

Understaffed.

High turnover of people due to understaff issues and being over worked.

No appreciation for it

Very much a case of 'thanks for helping me out' but YOU will never receive a favour nor should expect one.

Managers allow other to do their job while they take it easy no matter how much the struggle is. But will give off if it isn't done.

Managers regularly (and I do mean 4/5 days this will happen) leave early. By early I mean 2-3 hours before their shift is ended.

Maximum weeks allowed off for holidays is 2 weeks ( with a bit of a fight) most are a week. Holidays not allowed November- beginning of February (even though contract says Nov -Dec) but management won't approve it.

Area managers are very distant, only care about meeting unrealistic targets with next to nothing resources.

Very much a 1 person, 4 jobs to do kind of place.

These are just facts, but my opinion is; if you are breaking your back to make them money then yes, they will be nice. But that isn't the same as being appreciated and treated well. Managers DO take advantage of staff where they get it easy but instead of motivating, run with pressure and fear to get things done when work builds up, but won't help to relieve it. Personally, people were undertrained, thrown in deep end first and when sinking was left to sink.

Advice to Management

Invest more into struggle stores. Hours allowed for a store need to be filtered depending on size and needment of store. Not a standard amount. Managers need better trained with how to deal with staff and people. And should be revised. If your store has a high turn out of people maybe look closer to home why that is. People aren't your working machines and aren't 'replaceable' at a drop of a hat. Treat your staff as replaceable and you will need to replace them.

Aug 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback - we appreciate all feedback as we are constantly trying to improve so that we can be the number 1 best big company to work for! If you would like to... More

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Bedfordshire in Dunstable, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bedfordshire in Dunstable, England (UK)

I have been working at Savers Health and Beauty full-time

Pros

Still feels like a family despite the rapid growth the company has known in the last years. We pull together as a team and this is something not all companies out there do and there is a real feel of commitment and desire to succeed displayed by most employees I have met within the last 4 years working for Savers. Great company to work for and progress in!

Cons

We need to invest more into our stores via refits, maintenance, air con, more hours for colleagues and to simplify all store based processes. Last but not least investing in training for standards of service, our colleagues come first however without our loyal customers we would not be in the great position we are today!

Advice to Management

Same as above!

Jun 8, 2017

Hi - Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We are putting Store refits high on our list for this year, so glad you enjoy working for us. Lucky to have you!

9. "Avoid"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Rhyl, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Rhyl, Wales (UK)

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team you work with

Otherwise nowt.

Cons

SAS: Selling stuff no one wants to people that don't want it, then they give you crap about not doing it.

Advice to Management

shut down and become Boots

Jun 6, 2017

We are sorry that you felt this way about customer service at the till point, the purpose of customer service at the till is to ensure customers are aware of the fantastic price point on key lines... More

10. "sales assitant trannie supervisoer"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Training Supervisor in Catford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant/Training Supervisor in Catford, England (UK)

I worked at Savers Health and Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some of the best reasons to work at savers health and beauty is the friendly working enviroment everyone is like a family and work as part of a hard working team

Cons

compotion with rival stores like boots etc. shoplifters often target the store because savers do not have secruity instore

Advice to Management

give more people a chance even if theay have no previous exprience it could change there life for the best

Jun 8, 2017

Hi - Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really love the feedback!