Savers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Alterman

Pros
  • Employee discount, clothes are cheap (in 31 reviews)

• Non-profit partners and our reuse message (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage, and having to wait until the color is old (in 29 reviews)

• The number of employees has dropped but the same amount of work is expected to be done with fewer people (in 11 reviews)

1. "Production"

Current Employee - Production Worker in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Savers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and easy...good discounts

Cons

Poor training back stabbing gossip poor pay

Advice to Management

Better training and listening to wmployees

2. "I was a material handler , Table loader and recycler primarily"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Savers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was very convenient and close in proximity to my home . Coworkers were pretty nice people .

Cons

There's a lot of moldy products that I had to get rid of and I am an asthmatic so it wasn't worth my health for low pay.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees a little more

3. "Community donations manager"

Former Employee - Community Donations Manager in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Community Donations Manager in Danvers, MA

I worked at Savers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team members were really nice people. Can make own flexible schedule.

Cons

LONG work hours. Dirty conditions. Upper management can't keep themselves from constantly getting sued. Sweat shop like conditions for minimum wage. No recognition. It may have been just this location because store manager had no business running a business.

Advice to Management

Be normal. Listen, like actually listen to your team members and invest in their growth. Pay more attention to the business, because that's what you are suppose to be getting paid for, maybe the store would hit bonus'. Don't play into the gossip, hello, you are management.

5. "I wouldn't recommend working here."

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at Savers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gained more customer service experience at this job than most of the other jobs that I had.

Cons

They don't do background checks so a lot of high turnover. There hiring process is flawed. They pay little for the responsibilities that you must complete each day. Management is also lacking in time management and compassion.

Advice to Management

Hire better management and employees. Also increase wages.

6. "Great work-life balance and cool vision"

Current Employee - Marketing in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Savers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best work-life balance that you could ask for. The Marketing department is very understanding of last minute needs and allows you to strike a great balance, which I feel drives great work from all members of the team. We're all working hard toward a common goal, but feel that we can take care of the other important parts of our lives, too, and I appreciate that.

The organization as a whole is doing some really exciting things around reuse. If you'd like to work somewhere where your every day work has a big affect on nonprofit organizations and waste in North America, I think you'd be really fulfilled here.

Cons

There could be a bit of improvement in insurance coverage for corporate team members. There's also not a great communication mechanism for changes, updates or new people joining the corporate team. I'd like to see that turned around in the coming years.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster people who are passionate about your message, and invest in younger generations that will be the future of Savers. I'm proud of the way that challenges are faced at this organization, and am confident that you'll continue to attract really talented individuals.

7. "Furniture"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Savers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hired as a walk-in, thorough onboarding training

Cons

Started as FT, moved to different Dept less than 1 month later and switched to PT. Injured hand, covered by workman's comp., upon return with A-OK to resume normal work duties, I was NOT allowed to do more than fill small bags with saleable items - I started in receiving hauling furniture.

"CDC"

Former Employee - CDC Ambassador in Salinas, CA
    Former Employee - CDC Ambassador in Salinas, CA

I worked at Savers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Awesome coworkers and reasonable managers.
    + Very active job.
    + Interesting customers sometimes.
    + Learning a variety of skills.

So to start off I worked here for 2 1/2 years while going to college. Overall I'd say it was a positive experience and I don't regret working there at all. The coworkers I interacted with were at worst just minding their own and a few were great to work with, I wish them the best. My managers also worked with my school schedule so no complaints there.

Some things about this job though: You will learn the other jobs closely related to yours so that you can cover in the event the other person can't show. In the worst case you will be essentially working two jobs. For the CDC/Recycling/Truck jobs we would sometimes get called in during our off days to cover because another didn't show. It didn't happen too often and if there were some things that weren't able to be done that day the management was understanding about it.

Although it was a difficult job at times I stayed because the people we had made it a bearable and sometimes enjoyable place to work.

Cons

- Job can be exhausting at times and monotonous during others.
    - Quotas were unreasonable at times.
    - Extra duties will be placed on you.
    - Annoying customers sometimes with a few absolutely despicable ones. ( Will vary in your area)

Advice to Management

UPPER MANAGEMENT did nothing about the security issue the store had out back. People would also dump stuff they didn't need like old furniture, mattresses and nasty junk they knew we probably wouldn't accept out there too. This led to our store developing a reputation with scavengers/homeless and they'd be out back all night into the early morning making giant messes we needed to clean up just to operate normally. The owner of the shopping center also noticed this and eventually got tired of it, leading to the closing of the store.

9. "Seasonal Department Supervisor"

Former Employee - Seasonal Department Supervisor in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Department Supervisor in Providence, RI

I worked at Savers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time seasonal employment, and was offered full time permanent employment. I didn't accept the offer.

Cons

Not worth the pay. Unrealistic time frames to complete work assigned. No sick time. no benefits.

Advice to Management

Be better to your employees

"Discount is great 50%"

Current Employee - Sorter in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Sorter in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Savers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount on clothes is great

Cons

Very stressful boring favorites dust

Advice to Management

Be more respectful to employees

11. "Retail sales manager, production manager, store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Holden, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Holden, MA

I have been working at Savers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good deal of freedom on merchandising, good upper management, nice schedule, good support. Recycling, community support, ft jobs/ benefits for team members

Cons

Trash, dirty junk people " donate". Shoplifting, inconsistent non profit partners, over aggressive production quotas ( getting better). Team members attendance,

Advice to Management

Follow Canada's lead and tie production to sales. Use size and corporate buying power to get better terms and deals from our suppliers of product and fixtures/ supplies. Really getting hosed by repair contractors, printers, fixture companies etc.