Savvi Formalwear Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark Morrow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CFC"

I worked at Savvi Formalwear full-time

Pros

Fun to meet new people and good incentives

Cons

Retail hours and prom season were difficult

Advice to Management

Pay part time employees more to get better quality employees that will stick with you.

2. "Sales assoc."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Savvi Formalwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

down time, may not have a customer walk in for hours. More relaxed job

Cons

can be busy as well, follow up calls are a hassle as well

3. "Working at Savvi"

I worked at Savvi Formalwear part-time

Pros

easy and laid back
    pay is decent

Cons

no room for full time if you are not a part of management

4. "Lousy"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Savvi Formalwear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I didn't have a very good experience here to be honest other than the fact that the manager was kind.

Cons

The pay was horrible and the training was the worst I've ever seen in my life. I had no idea what I was doing and had anxiety every time a customer came in. I was thrown in and expected to perform but failed due to lack of training.

Advice to Management

Get a better training system.

5. "Formalwear Consultant/Assistant Manager experience"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Savvi Formalwear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot of opportunity to grow and gain management experience in the company. They also offered a lot of responsibility and support to their employees. The job as a formal wear consultant is also a lot of fun.

Cons

You work a lot of hours during prom season, which isn't horrible because during the winter you can take time off if you want.

6. "Part-Time/Management Review"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Savvi Formalwear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees across the company were great. I made lots of lifetime friends throughout Savvi. Upper management was friendly and down to earth...for the most part. Opportunities for advancement within the stores were decent. Pay raises were good (as a part time employee, anyway).

Cons

Reviews were a joke. They are meant to evaluate you, not who has the potential to move up within your store and the process to get them there. Yearly pay raise was insulting. LONG hours with little flexibility during prom season... Or ever. Upper management made it mandatory for managers to work into the night (12am-1am) a handful of days at the plant in order to get through prom orders... This resulted in 60-70 hour work weeks for management. This meant that we were making as much if not LESS than our assistant managers (managers are salaried). Too bad we STILL never got any product in time which resulted in incredibly upset customers (wedding couples and prom kids). But could I blame them? No. Savvi has a reputation to withhold and unfortunately, they will more than likely lose tons of business due to how their prom season went this year. They are not family oriented. Many managers complained of not being able to see their children very often. Many other managers complained of the lack in work/life balance... because there was none. If you were an employee at Savvi, you were expected to live Savvi. They didn't care about their employees at all. Everyone is replaceable to them.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better. Everyone busts their butts and for what? Raise your commission percentages too. Respect the fact that employees need lives too. They have families to care for. Give them the time to care themselves too. Hire an actual IT guy. Computer issues were ridiculous and resulted in frustrated parties (store and plant employees). Stop treating everyone as if they're replaceable. They're hard working people who deserve more credit than given.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Savvi Formalwear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned company. They valued opinions given by their management team and took them to heart. Monthly management meetings and yearly line showings gave us the chance to genuinely impact our products and services that were directly offered to our customers. As a manager you were directly responsible for all of the results and operations for your own store. You were given freedom to manage how you wanted without stringent company policies. To me it felt like a free college education.

Cons

High volume sales during prom season caused 55 hour work weeks minimum. The pay was less what a store manager in a comparable position would make. Bridal shows on Sundays would require long hours with no break. Work and home life balance was not adequate for the salary received. Highly antiquated computer systems and technology failed to merge brick and mortar with the evolution of the .com market of the wedding industry. Computer systems would crash on a regular basis. The only person well versed in IT was one of the plant managers and he was oftentimes understandably frustrated.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your website and hire a full time IT crew. Pay your management team more for the stress they incur.

"Doesn't live up to the title"

I worked at Savvi Formalwear part-time

Pros

Use creativity to help wedding couples find the formal wear for their big day.

Cons

Low Pay
    Higher Management has no good communication within their store's Manager's.
    No one is on the same page.
    You are to be Trained within 3 months apon employment and must meet the required testing to hold your certification of a Wedding Consultant. In which you may as well just study for an ASVAB and enlist into the Military.
    Or just be prepared to be overwhelmed everyday.

Advice to Management

More communication and care on to your staff. Staff accordingly- not to what dollar increases in your pocket.
    Train your staff!!! Use One on One!!! To ensure their Fulfillment for success!!
    Upper Management needs to get on the same page as everyone....

"Decent Job"

I have been working at Savvi Formalwear part-time

Pros

The work can be fun depending on the customers. The workers you meet are nice and interesting.

Cons

Lower pay. A lot of employee turnover.

"I left the company on good terms"

Former Employee - Formal Wear Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Formal Wear Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Savvi Formalwear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-very flexible scheduling (As a student let me take semester off and return for breaks)
    -Co-workers (Early on)
    -Small Business

Cons

-Upper management is clueless to what is going on in the retail side of this business. More concerned with wholesale customers than their own retail stores. I worked for this company directly after an ownership change and was assured that things were only going to improve, except it never happened.
    -Pay is terrible. Payed an hourly wage + commission (5% on retail items and 2% on rentals). Except the commission can be taken back after the fact without prior notification and is subject to the store manager filling out the correct paper work. In the end I had to make a spreadsheet of all my booked weddings and sales made to calculate the amount of commission i was supposed to be getting and at least once a month I was shorted on my checks. Started at "training" wage of $8.50 and never received a bump until yearly raises the following year. After 2 raises and a bump in the starting wage to $9.00 i was making $9.90.
    -Co-workers. After about 1.5 years at this job I had become one of the 6 most tenured employees. There was a lot of turnover due to issues with upper management. Also the workers that were now coming in to fill the positions were not being given ample training time. I remember one situation where an employee who had been hired a week prior was left by themselves for 6 hours and required to close the store.
    -Monotonous work. lost of busy times, just as many dead periods. During the dead periods there are tasks that you are asked to complete. These type of things can be very tedious.
    -No Management Training to go along with the large turnover there was a significant store management turnover. When new store managers were hired, they were not given ample training opportunities. I (a bottom of the rung) employee would often times get asked by store managers how certain things were to be put through the cash register or entered into our database system.

In my just over three years at this company I outlasted 3 regional manager, 7 store managers. There was no sense of stability.

Advice to Management

Be More like CEO Mark Morrow and connect more with the employees. There is a very big disconnect between the store level employees and the general manager. I noticed this only grow as my time continued. I as a retail worker felt more comfortable reaching out to owner Mark than I did to anyone above a store manager level. This company when i was hired on in 2013 had a very bright future, with current upper management there seems to be a downward trajectory now.