Savvi Formalwear Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Morrow

1. "I enjoyed my time here"

I worked at Savvi Formalwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job let me experience a completely different type of retail, led to a better knowledge of fashion trends and customer management

Cons

No real cons. You have to be able to adapt to lots of different personalities and expectations. There's no cookie cutter way of dealing with every situation

2. "Decent Job"

I have been working at Savvi Formalwear part-time

Pros

The work can be fun depending on the customers. The workers you meet are nice and interesting.

Cons

Lower pay. A lot of employee turnover.

"I left the company on good terms"

Former Employee - Formal Wear Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Formal Wear Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Savvi Formalwear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-very flexible scheduling (As a student let me take semester off and return for breaks)
    -Co-workers (Early on)
    -Small Business

Cons

-Upper management is clueless to what is going on in the retail side of this business. More concerned with wholesale customers than their own retail stores. I worked for this company directly after an ownership change and was assured that things were only going to improve, except it never happened.
    -Pay is terrible. Payed an hourly wage + commission (5% on retail items and 2% on rentals). Except the commission can be taken back after the fact without prior notification and is subject to the store manager filling out the correct paper work. In the end I had to make a spreadsheet of all my booked weddings and sales made to calculate the amount of commission i was supposed to be getting and at least once a month I was shorted on my checks. Started at "training" wage of $8.50 and never received a bump until yearly raises the following year. After 2 raises and a bump in the starting wage to $9.00 i was making $9.90.
    -Co-workers. After about 1.5 years at this job I had become one of the 6 most tenured employees. There was a lot of turnover due to issues with upper management. Also the workers that were now coming in to fill the positions were not being given ample training time. I remember one situation where an employee who had been hired a week prior was left by themselves for 6 hours and required to close the store.
    -Monotonous work. lost of busy times, just as many dead periods. During the dead periods there are tasks that you are asked to complete. These type of things can be very tedious.
    -No Management Training to go along with the large turnover there was a significant store management turnover. When new store managers were hired, they were not given ample training opportunities. I (a bottom of the rung) employee would often times get asked by store managers how certain things were to be put through the cash register or entered into our database system.

In my just over three years at this company I outlasted 3 regional manager, 7 store managers. There was no sense of stability.

Advice to Management

Be More like CEO Mark Morrow and connect more with the employees. There is a very big disconnect between the store level employees and the general manager. I noticed this only grow as my time continued. I as a retail worker felt more comfortable reaching out to owner Mark than I did to anyone above a store manager level. This company when i was hired on in 2013 had a very bright future, with current upper management there seems to be a downward trajectory now.

5. "Cool company, small pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Savvi Formalwear (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay, small staff, commissioned , opportunity for bonus, customer interaction with some pretty awesome customers , laid back job

Cons

Definitely could be paid for , some company policies are ehhh when it comes to how many hours etc, no real opportunity to grow pretty stagnant in position

Advice to Management

Definitely get more options and in tune with formalwear of today, you have awesome people in the store get more in tune with your employees and pay them more.

6. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Savvi Formalwear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment! You get to work with wedding couples, prom kid and people going to black tie events. Some days you work really hard and the day flys by. Other days can be slow and filled with projects. Savvi is family owned and operated and the people you work with in your store start to feel like family. Pay per hour is pretty average, but you get paid commission for every wedding you book and retail item you sell. They also do compensation reviews twice a year which is nice.

Cons

The store teams are small which is nice because you really get to know everyone on your team, but it can be challenging to find someone to cover your shift if you are sick. The slow season can get a little boring. Prom season can be pretty stressful.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff, the stores are struggling to fill shifts right now. Continue to develop your training program.

7. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Savvi Formalwear (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people, small staff so you get to know everybody.

Cons

Pay, lack of mobility, rarely got to take breaks, not enough staff

"Store Management"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Employees are great, love the clientele. Hours of operation are nice. Love doing bridal shows. Everyone is nice. The plant is local

Cons

Corporate is very up front about paying the least they can to employees. Bills don't get paid. Lots of passive aggressiveness. Do not pay competitively. Refuses to do things that would help the stores fare better. Try to keep managers from talking outside of work. Plant is horrible to deal with.

Advice to Management

Please pay what these hardworkers deserve. Make the plant take responsibility for their mess-ups. Give management and employees more training, rather than expecting them to learn their jobs on their own.

9. "Ehhhhhhh"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Savvi Formalwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission was nice. Down-time was good.

Cons

RUDE boss. HORRIBLE. They treat u like garbge and make u feel worthless. No thnx you.

Advice to Management

TREAT UR EMPLOYES LIKE HUMAN BEINGS

10. "Sales"

I worked at Savvi Formalwear part-time

Pros

You get to expand your knowledge about tuxedos. discount on clothing and rentals. some employees were nice. if you like doing nothing for a long period of time this is your job.

Cons

You always had to pick up others slack and not get paid for it. It took a long time for them to give me commission and also my manager would change all my orders and put them in his number so he would receive the commission. When it is not busy you literally sit there and do nothing. We were even open on fathers day all day.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees more. Pay commission on time.

11. "MGMT"

I worked at Savvi Formalwear full-time

Pros

family owned and operated; work with people who become your friends
    faced paced

Cons

slow technology-often times servers go down and lead to added stress in the store
    communication down the line can be confusing

Advice to Management

offer full-time position to the non management workers