Saxbys "starbucks" Reviews | Glassdoor

Saxbys Employee Reviews about "starbucks"

Updated Jul 9, 2019

Found 74 reviews

3.6
Nick Bayer
Pros
  • "Decent compensation, flexible hours, friendly work environment, lots of room to move up in the company(in 5 reviews)

• "Teaches you how to be a barista(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Since there are only two baristas working at once, if someone does not show up to their shift, one person is left to run the entire store by themselves(in 6 reviews)

• "Dealing with impatient guests in busy situations and low pay(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "starbucks"

Return to all Reviews

"An ok job, but I don't recommend staying for longer than a year."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Saxbys part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- If you like fast paced then you will probably like it here. I made great friends with my employees and working at a coffee place can be fun. - free drinks when you are on the job - 50% off food when working and 10% off when not working - the chocolate croissants are bomb

Cons

- the pay is very low. I started off with 7.25. After 4 years and a promotion later I was making 9. When I was working at Starbucks in a similar area I started off with $10....in 6months I could have gotten a raise. - I don't know if corporate really has a concise strategic plan as to how they will grow. They may have a vision, but their methodology is pretty opposite of what...

Advice to Management

You should be taking a look at upper management. Perhaps you hire them because you can pay them low salaries, but your getting the bottom of the barrell. If you had those who were skilled and knowledgeable in the business you'd be able to turn over a profit.

Saxbys2017-06-12
  2. "Alternative Work Environment"

Former Employee - Barista in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Saxbys

Pros

Working at Saxbys can be invigorating. They make good choices in hires, for the most part, and do promote a familial theme within each store. While this may not be true for every store, my experience was very team-oriented, and I've heard others from other stores reflect on the same thing.

Cons

As much as my store grossed daily, it was baffling seeing what baristas were paid. Just over minimum wage is unacceptable considering the workload. As much as you may not want to work at Starbucks, it's not like Saxbys is wildly different schematically, and Starbucks and other coffee shops likely pay more.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. In 2016, your baristas should not be making $8/hr. Other than that, in-store management was awesome. One of which has been one of my best friends for a long time now.

Saxbys2016-11-30
  3. "Fun Place to work, upward mobility"

Former Employee - Barista in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Saxbys for more than a year

Pros

The CEO is very accessible and clearly cares about his company. You truly do feel like you are part of a team and a grassroots effort. I worked for a franchise and our owner/ manager really cared about his staff and his company both from a profit standpoint and a reputation standpoint.

Cons

Pays significantly less than Starbucks.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer tabs on inventory to improve bottom line.

Saxbys2016-04-14
  4. "a great working environemnt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA

I worked at Saxbys

Pros

you get to have free drinks while working and the management was more than excellent to me. i had a great time.

Cons

it was very busy at times. starbucks was closeby so we were unable to compete with them and their brand name

Advice to Management

some advice i would give to management would be to pay the workers a little better than minimum wage. overall it was good

Saxbys2012-03-14
  5. "Saxbys Coffee has a great product, fantastic investors, and is a fun place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Saxbys

Pros

Flexible schedule reasonable hours great coffee fun to work for a growing company hands on touch manual grinding and tamping of espresso great for the hands on person or any creative individual

Cons

The only downsides are that Saxbys is a small company right now going though a lot of growth, so whereas a coffee shop like Starbucks has a lot of perks for employees, Saxbys doesn't have that yet. But, if you want to invest in a coffee shop with great potential, this is the place.

Saxbys2010-12-11