ScanSource Reviews in Greenville, SC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ScanSource President, CEO, and Director Mike Baur
Mike Baur

Cons

1. "Great Entry Level Career!"

Current Employee - Merchandising in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Merchandising in Greenville, SC

I have been working at ScanSource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The people you work with are awesome, they make coming to work more fun
    -Lots of perks like a gym, cafe, fitness classes, nice campus, and many times free food
    -You gain a lot of experience

Cons

-No clear path upward to management...or none at all
    -Seems like you need to work there at least 8 years before being considered for a management level promotion
    -The workload is VERY heavy, they recognize your good work as a an opportunity to give you more work without increasing pay or changing your job title.

Advice to Management

-Create more management layers and give your employees more than just a cost of living raise
    -If you can't afford to give a raise, try providing other non-monetary benefits like increased time off or work-from-home options

2. "Just another distributor"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at ScanSource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the divisions communicate more than others. Of the people you will work with, 90% are very nice, 50% are helpful. You can be quite frank with management. The company is not against having fun while you work.

Cons

The divisions within ScanSource operate differently from each other. It's difficult to feel like the company is "one" as a whole. Most executive decisions are based on the company being publicly traded. This further disconnects the company from their people but varies depending on the division and your physical location as an employee. Employee training varies greatly as well. In my division in particular, terrible and extremely lacking unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Do not exclude smaller divisions or teams from key training or company events. If you cannot be more upfront with the employees on company/division direction decisions, be prepared to have good employees seek elsewhere. Some divisions obtain their quarterly goals 3 weeks before quarter-end. The result is poor compensation for the employee who could not better prepare for expectations.

3. "DO NOT work in Reseller Financial Services"

Former Employee - Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at ScanSource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros except you have others your age just as miserable as you are

Cons

Upper management will not speak to you, when they do they insult you and threaten your job almost daily. The worst place you can possibly work. 3-5+ people leave per month and they are always short handed and unappreciative. Run and never work there! College graduates take other offers at other companies, this is not a place for you. If you get a promotion, they actually lower you total compensation, how does that make sense? Company is dying, growth is not there anymore

Advice to Management

Get an entirely new senior management team in RFS. What a terrible place to spend your days:).

5. "Internship Program"

Former Intern - Intern in Greenville, SC
    Former Intern - Intern in Greenville, SC

I worked at ScanSource as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture and work environment--relaxed, fun and encouraging
    Everyone is personable and easy to talk to
    Internship program is full of opportunity and resources
    SAP training and other training for certain projects
    Great CEO
    Innovative company
    Summer long prject to present to CEO and Board of directors
    Current employees make you feel like part of the team and are always willing to help

Cons

Sometimes you would have to search for work or ask for work/make yourself useful

6. "Good Benefits, Poor Compensation"

Former Employee - Accountant in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Accountant in Greenville, SC

I worked at ScanSource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, open company, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Poor management, poor compensation compared to the market, tough to move up

Advice to Management

To keep good employees compensate them to match the market and hire from within

7. "Senior SAP BW Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior SAP BW Consultant in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Senior SAP BW Consultant in Greenville, SC

I worked at ScanSource (More than a year)

Pros

Well managed environment and excellent place to work.

Cons

No regrets working there as I worked as contractor and performed my duties to their expectation.

Advice to Management

Not applicable

8. "Product Marketing Manager, POS Division"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at ScanSource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great bonus structure, 401k, and stock retention program.
    Management truly cared about my success as an employee and wants to give you the flexibility to not just move around, but up. They consistently ask what your goals are for your career and life, and they work to give you the tools necessary to make that goal achievable. You'll love the face paced culture and "win together, play together" environment.
    I felt like I was able to make an impact in the relationships that I managed, the business that I ran, and community that we as a company gave back to. I felt fulfilled working here.
    I was truly sad to leave such an amazing job and group of friends, but I had other family commitments take me out of the city.

Cons

Looking back, there were no con's during my employment at ScanSource.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Empower employees and continue making an impact!

9. "Severely underpaid"

Current Employee - Accountant in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Accountant in Greenville, SC

I have been working at ScanSource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good overall company culture - the employees that work there are really great.

Cons

Salary compensation is a joke. Also, the extra benefits that they rage about like the profit sharing has been in decline the last few years - 3-4% of a profit sharing based on your salary is just not enough to swing the dial when they could give you a 25-50% raise and only just begin to put you in the correct range for your job.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more soon or you will start to see some serious turnover. You can say you care about us but until you pay us a decent salary we just can't see that.

10. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Greenville, SC

I worked at ScanSource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome perks and benefits. Vendors always have a promos/events going on. Someone is always willing to help out.

Cons

The "Not bad/Not great" nailed it on the head. Way too many managers/team leads. Communication can be lost in translation. Very limited growth opportunity.

"Not bad/Not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at ScanSource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance. Company is invested in employee health & wellness. Most managers are empathetic if employee or family is ill and encourage time to recover. Very laid back environment where social interaction is encouraged. Variety of vendor sponsored events along with company socials functions. Takes more modern approach to company culture.

Cons

Some departments can be very cliquish. Favored slackers easily hide among hard workers and ego-driven managers. Expectations are vague and ever-changing. Lack of training has become a glaring issue. Outside offices and support departments often feel unappreciated and ignored. Pay could be more competitive. Little opportunity for growth and advancement.

Advice to Management

The management hierarchy is ridiculous! There are too many managers, team leads, & directors. Many hardworking unsung heroes are standing in the shadows of slackers charming their way to the top. Since last year's transition, certain inefficiencies have arisen with little corrective action from management. Training since the transition has been a joke with inconsistent, vague expectations and little accountability. Suggestions from "rank & file" are rarely considered unless they kiss up to management. Some individuals and even whole departments are not held accountable for their inaction, while others are expected to bear the responsibility. Continue this route, the company nicknamed the "Google of Greenville" will become another misguided greedy corporation with a revolving door. Consider making changes soon to remain a top employer.