Scentsy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Scentsy CEO & Co-Owner Orville Thompson
Orville Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture is great - and there are great people that live that culture every day which is what makes coming to work great (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, excellent people to work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They have made their internal rules so hard to make selling their product impossible using online technology (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of work, not enough rewards when you do direct sales (in 5 reviews)

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Scentsy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To clarify for everyone: Scentsy is a direct selling company, so there are two types of reviews you see on glassdoor; those from the employees who work for the company (HQ is in Meridian, ID), and those of the consultants who are independent of Scentsy the corporation and operate their own business selling Scentsy products (and exist all over the world). It is important to keep that difference in mind when reading reviews so that you can get the most relevant feedback to your situation and job search.

I work at the main office in Meridian ID as an employee. It is a great place to work and everyone is very friendly. In my mind, it is the best of both worlds: It is large enough to have the perks of a large company but small enough to still have a startup feel and the power to control your career, advance, and pursue solutions.

Here are some perks:
    - competitive salary
    - great 401K plan and match (Roth 401K option)
    - great HSA match for those who choose that medical plan
    - onsite gym (free for employees and only $5 for family)
    - onsite cafeteria with healthy food
    - onsite coffee cafe
    - large campus with walking trails, trees, plants, etc.
    - subsidized food for employees
    - great employee events and activities
    - health conscious and supports working out, riding bike to work, health classes, etc.
    - casual dress
    - very diverse culture
    - very family friendly
    - lots of other side benefits that come up throughout the year

Cons

I can't think of any global cons that would keep anyone from wanting to apply or work here. Every department is clearly a bit different (shipping vs. IT vs. marketing vs. creative vs. consultant support) and can't speak for every department, but I am not aware of any global issues that employees want to improve.

Working for a direct selling company is very different than working for a more traditional business that sells to consumers or enterprise customer and puts the customer first; at Scentsy the Consultant is the number one priority and everything is geared towards helping the Consultants first and foremost. This fact and culture may be hard for some to adjust to, but the fact is at Scentsy the workforce is made up of people from all types of businesses and sizes and types, so it's not a big deal if you don't have direct selling experience, if you are open-minded and able able to adapt.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing... employee morale is very high compared to other companies I've worked at. No company is perfect, but management is very accessible to feedback, and there is a difference between making an honest mistake in execution (and fixing it next time) and doing something intentional knowing it hurts employees (and not caring if culture suffers). The owners are definitely interested in having a positive culture and work environment.

Scentsy is going through some growing pains, but that just means there are some great opportunities for those employees who want to take the initiative, as you are certainly empowered to do so.

2. "Low profits"

I have been working at Scentsy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, and brand recognition

Cons

Low profit and too many rules for reselling or staying active.

Advice to Management

It's counter-productive to suspend someone's ability to sell because they failed to make an order within a narrow timeframe.

3. "love scentsy"

Pros

you can make your own hours

Cons

must network to keep business active

"Designer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Meridian, ID

I worked at Scentsy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, awesome environment, exceptional employee perks and benefits, fun projects and learning abilities, potential for growth opportunities in certain departments.

Cons

lack of communication within the company and organization. No real defined goals for the company as a whole and/or thinking of the future of promotions on a broader scale. Also, fell into the trap of being stuck in one position without any growth within specific department.

Advice to Management

Keep up with pay scales within the city. You want talent you have to pay to keep existing employees. It is known that long term employees get stuck and watch new people come in with more pay and advancement while the existing get left behind. HR needs to help keep the hardworking employees so they don't lose them.

5. "Hope it's different now"

I worked at Scentsy full-time

Pros

Orville and Heidi, nice natural sunlit office space, great cafeteria

Cons

Poor communication between management, low morale

Advice to Management

I really felt out to sea working at Scentsy. I did a lot of work for them and received very little feedback on it. My emails were rarely answered and I was given next to no direction as to what was expected of me. I felt like I was working in a vaccum. My advice would be for the management to get on the same page with one another and to take a few courses on interpersonal skills (and I don't say the latter part lightly.) I left this company feeling pretty darn low.

6. "Great place to work at"

I worked at Scentsy full-time

Pros

Decent family company that offers a lot of things for employees

Cons

No real downfalls, they were alright

"Business Systems Analyst"

I worked at Scentsy full-time

Pros

Great team collaboration, fun atmosphere. Amazing corporate culture and values

Cons

limited advancement opportunities. Under market pay

"Certified consultant"

Current Employee - Certified Consultant in Coudersport, PA
    Current Employee - Certified Consultant in Coudersport, PA

I have been working at Scentsy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love being my own boss and earning extra money for things I need in an emergency. I make 25% commission on everything I sell

Cons

No cons as of right now . Only in slow months but I usually make active each month at a minimum of 200$ in sales

9. "Consultant"

Pros

I personally liked the product