Schlumberger Field Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Compensation & Benefits, Work/life balance (in 75 reviews)

• Oilfield jobs generally come with a Good pay (in 176 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging as you will have to devote loads of time to work if you want to succeed in the company (in 485 reviews)

• No work life balance; always work on holidays; Working from home even you are on vacation; health issues of most of the employees (in 127 reviews)

1. "Cement Engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer - Cementing in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Field Engineer - Cementing in Midland, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Scheduled of 10 days on 4 days off, every other weekend was a 4 day weekend, good pay, Lots of responsibility, Good training

Cons

When you are on you are expected to be available 24-7, Management tends to focus more on failures than successes

2. "Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot about the segment you are hired into. However, it does come at a very heavy price. Once you start working then your life is dedicated to your job. Days off are not always honored and with so few engineers left at the company don't be surprised if you work 4-6 weeks straight before getting a day off. I left the company because I no longer saw a positive 3, 5, or 10 year future for myself in the company. Due to the dropping oil prices they have been keeping the majority of the FEs in the field for much longer than they originally advertised in the interview. Be prepared for what you are getting yourself into.

Cons

No work life balance. Questionable future career prospects.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees to make the work manageable.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-always challenging
    -hard work
    -peers are smart people
    -industry renown training
    -international travel and culture

Schlumberger as a company has sooo much to offer. Career progression is hands down laid out to you from day one and you can easily see your trajectory if you work hard and do well. You are working alongside very bright minds and people from all over the world, so you get to experience a mix of cultures (something this world needs more of) that breaks down barriers of stereotypes and prejudice. If you align yourself well, you get the opportunity to go international with this company too. I truly enjoyed the fact that I was always on my toes and being challenged while I was there, BUT with that being said...there is a limit and a fine balance to managing this component which brings me to my cons.

Cons

-ZERO work-life balance
    -avg of 90 hrs/week (I'm not kidding)
    -driving with no sleep
    -upper management is crap

...I worked on average 90 hours per week for a salary of 74,000. The downturn definitely had a hand in this but the reality was, as an engineer, I could find many other jobs that paid me 75,000 USD base plus annual bonuses which only required me to work 40 hours a week - allowing me to maintain a better work-life balance. This is why I quit.

When you are young and this is your first job out of college, a combination of naivety and drive pushes you want to earn respect and praise from your manager/higher ups. This requires you to work hard, not complain/whine, and do jobs. There were many times where I found myself working so much, as a result of poor field management, and driving to/from locations with 24+ hours of no sleep. My wheels were off the pavement or swerving onto the opposing lane. There comes a point where you ask yourself, wow WTF am I doing this for? And you value your life more than a paycheck. You work a 3:1 rotational schedule of either 15 days on/5 off, 12 days on/4 off. Recently they changed it back to a 2:1 giving you 14 on/7off or 10 on/5 off which if a huge step but still not enough to keep me around. I already had a sour taste in my mouth from my experiences there. Working anything in the range of 10-15 days is extremely rough at a 90 hour/week schedule. MIND YOU, THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE WORKING IN US LAND.

International employees (hired in the US, work abroad) you make so much bank. I'm not joking, some jobs were absolutely ridiculous. People making upwards of 175-250k @ 17% flat tax for internationals. Do the math - that's a ton of money. Do that for 3, 4, maybe 5 years and you are setting yourself up for some solid financial security. But during the downturn, Schlumberger put a freeze on employee transfers to international locations. Now, they've apparently opened that back up, but I'll tell you this...those employees work for months! You can work 6 months straight doing that 28 days on/4 days off (sometimes you don't get your days off). So there is a big catch there.

All in all I think there are many other companies that actually offered a life as well as a career, doing much cooler things. Space exploration, software, solar, etc. where I feel I'd work a more rewarding job and be able to enjoy my young years with my friends, going on memorable weekend trips, travel, vacations, company events and be located in cities and not some small town far away from anywhere.

It was only until I quit with my resignation letter that the heavens decided to come down to Earth and present my bosses with "we'll change! We promise!"....HA! such a joke and anyone is naive to believe that the change would actually be fulfilled

Advice to Management

Quit, because you guys suck so bad

"Great way to see the world"

Current Employee - General Field Engineer
    Current Employee - General Field Engineer

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spent time in Europe, Middle East, Australia and USA in first 4 years, which was awesome. The work is challenging, but you often work in a team that is like family. You will get dirty in the field and move your way into the office and then sometimes back in to the field. The training is top notch.

Cons

The market took a big hit, but is slowly coming back now. There is often high expectations which require overtime work. Difficult to balance family and work. Sometimes it seems like every month you are learning a whole new skill, which can be tiring.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation to the guys in the field and pushing papers. They often spend extra hours and effort to get the job done right and on time. They do it for the family atmosphere, but little appreciation from up top.

"Great place to begin"

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great benefits
    -Great diversity
    -Lot of respect in industry
    -Great training

Cons

-Field employees are behaved like an asset or a machine

Advice to Management

-People is the most important thing in oilfield and should be more valued

"Great company, but with some costs"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Farmington, NM
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Farmington, NM

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Opportunities for training and professional development
    Opportunities to move up within the company
    Opportunity to travel
    Adventure

Cons

Stressful
    Long hours
    Management can be hard to deal with
    Be prepared to move a lot

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees.

7. "Field Engineer"

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Is a company with footprint in many countries.

Cons

This is not a job for everyone, is more like life style.

8. "Don't start working in oilfield during a downturn"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fresh out of university, this job is as good as it gets. It's always on the limit of what you can do, you're always just on the limit of what you can do and you generally always succeed. You're being challenged on your people skills, technical skills, organizational skills. The job starts out with extensive training in an international environment amongst motivated individuals which is very stimulating.

Cons

- Unfortunately once you get to location you encounter mostly a homogenous male and single nationality population which in the current state of affairs are fairly disgruntled at the oil price and associated working conditions.
    - The constant challenge is obviously the disadvantage as well, you're always struggling, fumbling along the most reasonable path and hope you've just made the right decision.
    - Obviously a lot of job satisfaction stems from who'n in your location, especially given the hours you do spend on the job makes the people around matter a lot.
    - There's an inevitable cowboy culture
    - The moral during a downturn is beyond depressing, especially as a first job

Advice to Management

Be more visible. Keep iterating the right to stop the job, especially with regards to driving.

9. "Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Manchester, NH

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High Paced, Interesting work, travel

Cons

Terrible work life balance, you are not important to the company

10. "Experience not valued"

Current Employee - General Field Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Field Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time

Pros

Better training than most competitors. Decent benefits in insurance and stocks. Large company and overlapping business lines allow for broad experience.

Cons

Total compensation packages below competitors. Poor work life balance. Extreme bureaucratic processes. Poor support structure. Employees are viewed as numbers and expenses.

Advice to Management

If employees are promised things then these promises should be kept. If an employee brings skills and experience then that needs to be acknowledged. Employees are more than just interchangeable names on an organization chart.