Schneider Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Schneider Electric President and CEO Jean-Pascal Tricoire
Jean-Pascal Tricoire

1,632 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is almost upto the mark (in 84 reviews)

• large company, so efficiency is a problem (in 36 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company in the industry period!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schneider is a fresh breath of air for me. It's is a company that does not judge you based on culture but ability. Many companies in our industry (Process Automation) use the term you don't fit the culture. Which is definition for you don't look like us. Schneider focuses on hiring top talent and strengthening that talent. Through training, developing and actually caring about its employees. Instead of the old and outdated good old boy system. Which brings no true value to customers.

Cons

It's a big company with a lot of procedures that need streamlining. Hiring takes a bit of patience but I guess anything worth having take time to get. Hey I had to put something here.

Advice to Management

Keep staying ahead of the industry. You may stand out but those that lead always do. Oh and streamline some of those processes.

Schneider Electric Response

May 5, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for such a positive review! We are very proud of our focus on strengthening the skills of each of our employees. Great people like you make us a great company!

"If you aren't in manufacturing, stay away!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Clovis, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Clovis, CA

Pros

The best thing about working for Pelco is the commitment by the entire company to take care of their customers. Pelco has long had the motto of "fanatical customer service". Working for Pelco shows you that it isn't just a motto, but an entire way of life around here. As an employee, it makes you proud to be a part of that.

Cons

First let me say that I've heard many different opinions on Pelco, and it seems that it is highly dependent on the position of the employee. Many people I know in manufacturing love it here, because it offers them more than the average manufacturing job. Given that, I can only give my opinion based on my position (professional level employee).

The worst part about working for Pelco is the frustration knowing that Pelco seems to be in the position to really lead the Security market, but consistently stumbles due to ineptitude of Senior Management. No matter how much or little you work, it really doesn't seem to have an effect on your pay, lack of bonuses, status in the company, or congratulations (or lack there of). There doesn't seem to be any punishment of upper management if they are consistently late on projects (which seems to be the way of life around here). A big reason for this seems to be the manufacturing culture that this company grew up in. It started as a metal bending company, and despite its seeming luck to be in the position it is in as a leader in the industry, it still acts like a metal bending company. People are in Senior Management because they have been with the company for a long time, and not because they are good at what they do. The manufacturing culture doesn't end there. When defending its stance on benefits, or bonuses, or whatever, Pelco always compares itself to manufacturing companies rather than Technology companies. The benefits are really poor at Pelco, and they have just gotten worse with changes taking affect in July.

If you are coming from a technology company and are considering working at Pelco, I'd think twice about the decision. The number of managers, and the number of levels of management it takes to get from you to the CEO is astounding. Given all that management, it seems like no one is in charge, and no one has the power to make any decisions. Things seem to happen around here because they just happen, and not because there has been any decision on the topic. Processes are still all paper driven, and we are just NOW starting to use electronic processes. Like above, as a technology company, Pelco is stuck in the 80's... as a manufacturing company, who knows, maybe they are modern.

As a bonus, Pelco was recently acquired by Schneider Electric, a public company. So they are stepping one by one through the top ten list of everything you do when you buy a company who isn't the most profitable. Cut benefits, check. Get rid of temps, check. Hiring freeze, check. Freeze on purchase orders, check.

Advice to Management

Simply think about what this company really is. It is now a technology company, try and act like one.

"Just in! French-led company impossible with financial expectations and lousy ethics....wait, that's not news."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Smyrna, TN

Pros

Global company with more opportunity outside of just one location; excellent instructor-led classes and benefits

Cons

Senior management leadership is a joke; very bureaucratic to the detriment of the company, no central information technology linking all their conglomerates or even within their major brands, working folks to the point of developed medical conditions because of scrimping on labor costs and having folks do quadruple the work; running off excellent employees and keeping the ones that really need to go

Advice to Management

Stop the nonsensical bureaucracy and listen to your locations; allow leadership to happen on the local level and for the love of God, please employ the right people into leadership and empower them to actually make a difference. Do not continue to stifle people's morale and potential by consistently presenting impossible financial barriers.

"Square D Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Florence, KY

Pros

Workload is manageable, deadlines are not too bad

Cons

Feel like a small cog in a very large machine. Currently members of the team often fail to show up to meetings, do work, and attempt to get credit for work they did not do.

Advice to Management

It would be a step in the right direction to fire people who fail to perform anything less than the absolute bare minimum.

"A waste of time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palatine, IL

Pros

Benefits were comparable
    Work-life balance was OK

Cons

No career growth
    No career opportunities
    Management care about themselves only
    The direction of the company is horrible

Advice to Management

Employees are not engaged or committed, management does not care about its employees at all

"Too Big To Care About Field Techs"

Current Contractor - Field Technician in Long Island City, NY
    Current Contractor - Field Technician in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Schneider Electric as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Pay, we're paid by prevailing wage, which is competitive with union pay.
    Your autonomy, you are left alone as long as you do what is required of you.

Cons

There are many highly trained ex-military maintainers and operators employed in this division which are not being used to their fullest level. Skills are being wasted, knowledge, and prior reflexive abilities are rusting. The challenge and joy of working with your hands and learning new skills is removed by monotonous tasks and fixes. It's easy, but at the cost of your pride and spirit.
    The hours are terrible, two shifts 0500-1400 and 1400-2300, with rotating scheduled days. Families fall apart under these conditions.

You're unlikely to be see any advancement in position unless you're Asian. There are public court records alleging management of this, but the case was dismissed because there was, "too much time" between incidents, according to the judge. The organizational culture is one of cliques, and nonstandard "ethical standards." The quality of work suffers because this is a dead-end job and there is little incentive more than the pay.

There aren't vacation or sick days, but "Paid Time Off" and unless you have four or more years you don't receive anymore than the fourteen with which you began. Our division has been sold numerous time not allowing us to accrue time to earn more days.

Supervisors and management are only concerned with looking good to grow the contract, and unconcerned with the morale of the field techs.

Advice to Management

Open up positions for advancement and from there your service will improve with little effort from management.

"Southern mentality under a big name"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in La Vergne, TN
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Schneider Electric as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Have big company name. Some are good enthusiastic young people.

Cons

Local company no matter the name. Southern good ol boys company. Constrained mentality and organization chaos. Many promoted managers are incompetent and prevent progress.

"Management is clueless"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay scale is pretty fair. Benefits are adequate

Cons

Upper management doesn't have a clue on how to run this once great company.

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers

"Systems Application Engineer"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in La Vergne, TN
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

if you get with the crowd you are immune to criticism and will keep your position.

Cons

So they recruited me from school along 30 others. The put us through a rigorous training program, and then they laid us off. This was in the space of four months. Based on the information they gave us, it appears they recruited us just to lay us off with senior members so that they do not violate the age discrimination act. If you are an international student DO NOT APPLY HERE!!!

Advice to Management

Nepotism is rampant, if you are in the club you will do well. If not you are out!

"Age Discrimination Problem"

Current Employee - Program Director
    Current Employee - Program Director

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation. Useful back office tools and internal resources to process expense reports, etc

Cons

If you are older than 50 (maybe even 45) you will likely face serious age discrimination and possible layoff.

Advice to Management

Live up to your claim to be one of the most ethical employers.

Showing 1,632 of 2,788 reviews