Schneider Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

2,528 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,528 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is almost upto the mark (in 84 reviews)

• large company, so efficiency is a problem (in 36 reviews)

1. "Production Designer admin/clerical"

Former Employee - Production Designer in Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Production Designer in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Schneider Electric (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, wonderful office and production people

Cons

Does not keep people a chance to keep learning and moving up in the company.

Advice to Management

Just be a little more understanding of people and their feelings

May 23, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you agree that we have great people and great pay here. A high performance culture means that we want to motivate our employees to do the best job they can and ... More

"Used to be great as Square D Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, EV charger available, most coworkers are good to work with. Layoffs have been limited.

Cons

Upper level management very liberal. Seem to more concerned with corporate social image rather than making the best product for the customer.

Advice to Management

Focus on providing better benefits for employees. Don't shoot for mediocrity (or just below mediocrity) for your employees. Retain expertise in engineering by replacing critical experts before they retire.

"Hardware Company Doing Software Development"

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Our team had weekly knowledge sharing sessions on Friday afternoons, with ice cream that came out of the team budget. Salaries were pretty good.

Didn't have any significant issues with co-workers.

Cons

I worked on part of the old APC (American Power Conversion) team, writing firmware for Uninterruptible Power Supply systems. This piece of the company (former APC) was stuck in the mentality of a hardware company, even as the products became increasingly dependent on and defined by the firmware they ran. Firmware was generally considered and treated as second class compared to the needs of the hardware team.

Modern software engineering practices were almost entirely absent in our department. In 2015, we were just beginning to look at moving away from subversion to git. Issue tracking was sporadic at best. Code reviews and unit testing of firmware were largely non-existant. Software craftsmanship was not a concept that any of us were aware of, and design and coding principles such as SOLID were not on our radar. We spent little time or energy talking about how to write quality software, and all of it came from the engineers, there was no push (or interest) from management or higher towards continuous improvement or software quality.

A lot of lip service was paid to the idea of agile development, but we were stuck in a waterfall rhythm where "agile" just meant that we never wrote anything down or defined any requirements, and engineers could expect directions to change from week to week, or even just based on who they were talking to.

Innovation in the organization was severly stunted. For years we knew that the market for our products was shrinking dramatically, but we continued to churn out the same basic products with minor enhancements. The big idea behind innovating and expanding our market was to find small adjacent markets that we could sell to, instead of actually coming up with a relevant product. When upper management pushed for innovation through a database of new ideas and a day of innovative brainstorming, the pervasive lack of imagination throughout the organization was apparent; ideas were generally limited to new minor and cosmetic features that could be added to our existing products.

The organization was also pervaded by a culture of overtime, in which engineers routinely boasted about staying late, working through lunch, and working weekends as though it were a badge of hour. Ten hour work days and 50+ hour work weeks were not uncommon, with little recognition and no additional compensation.

The organization was overall top-heavy, with too many managers and too few individual contributors. The company seemed to be constantly grooming people for management, with little career advancement possible beyond a senior level without going into a management role. Managers were frequently pre-occupied with advancing their own careers and making sure they didn't get blamed for things that went wrong, as opposed to actually managing their team.

Advice to Management

Learn what modern software development looks like. Go to conferences and send your engineers to conferences. Reward merit and recognize that being a manager is a skill, not just something that happens when you've been at the company long enough.

"Would Not Recommend to Anyone"

Current Employee - Business Line in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Line in Boston, MA

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly sat and thought about this to be unbiased and always document some 'pros' as there should at least be something positive to document. I could not come up with any.

Cons

Where do I start. I have read the reviews above especially the feedback from Schneider telling employees to go to HR with their concerns, HR is not Confidential and does more damage. Train HR and Management or eliminate the damage and bring in new. The good ole boys network must dissipate. Smoking the 'green', erratic behavior is all an embarrassment that everyone notices but Schneiders senior Executives that tell our customers and Partners you turn your heads and do not care. Talent has left to our competitors, customers have gone to those who have left and the oblivious eyes are doing what? You have potential if you take the blinders off and take a good look around. Hello France - take a look at the US.

Advice to Management

Take heed at the above. A good qtr does not make a good company. In my career I have watched 'people' take companies down. Down let that happen to what has been built. Your competitors are all laughing at your employees and rightfully so - they are winning all the deals.

May 5, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

We are disappointed to hear about your experience. At Schneider Electric, being open is one of our core values. We encourage transparency and most importantly ethical behavior from everyone ... More

"Downward Spiral"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Remote, OR

Pros

Decent Pay, Good Benefits and people although there is a mass exodus of good employees.

Cons

After 12 very successful years at Square D resigned because of the direction the company is going. Typical day is spent resolving issues with either production or scheduling and listening to customer complaints.

Used to love my job and was highly motivated to excel. Recent changes to Management (Services Division over the last 6 months) have created an extremely toxic work environment which is causing a mass exodus of employees. Seems like people speak out of the sides of their mouths to cover themselves in a failing system. After 12 years of exceeding Sales Targets - Bonus Program modified to take away dollars from the high achievers and award lackluster performance.

Promises broken and a lack of ethics dominate the work environment.

Advice to Management

Investigate ethics issues of Services Sales Management

May 2, 2017 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for 12 years of service and for your candid review. At Schneider Electric, we pride ourselves on being an ethical company of high integrity. We are in the midst of implementing a ... More

"Blank"

Current Employee - Blank in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Blank in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours to some teams

Cons

Does not practice diversity policies communicated

Advice to Management

Stop the shaming of cultures in meetings

Mar 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

Thank you for your willingness to share your honest review. We are disappointed to hear about your experience. At Schneider Electric, we take pride in our diverse and open culture. We are working ... More

"Wiring Technician"

Current Employee - Wire Technician in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Wire Technician in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Schneider Electric (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of overtime most of the time

Cons

Working over time is mandatory, the pay is ridiculously low, most of supervisors barely have a basic level of education and lack of people skills. Low compensation, no flexibility and minimum vacation

"Material handler"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Fresno Crossing, CA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Fresno Crossing, CA

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I still have a job, that's what they tell us. There's really no pro at the moment besides still being able to pay SOME bills.

Cons

More duties, NO PAY, NO TITLE. To much pressure and favoritism. HR is also horrible here. Laying off people left to right.

10. "Amazing firm to work at"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Large organization. Lateral movement possible across countries/ roles. Good compensation

Cons

Slow moving at times! Slightly bureaucratic HR.

Advice to Management

Keep at it

Mar 24, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Team

Thanks for the great review. I personally agree that this is an amazing company with some truly amazing people. It is a large organization but we're focused on improving communication and ... More

"Good culture, Smart people"

Current Employee - Intern in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Intern in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• The work culture is open and ample ownership opportunities are available.
    • There are smart people in leadership positions who ensure positive development of the work force.
    • My managers and leaders have been very open and responsive to my suggestions.
    • A lot of projects are available across the spectrum.
    • As an intern, my manager would ask me what kind of projects I would prefer that would benefit me and add to my career goals.
    • Despite the bureaucracy embedded in the system, pushing through gets work done.
    • Vibrant and diverse workforce ensures constant learning and interaction.

Cons

• Like every other large organization, Schneider Electric has ample amounts of bureaucracy that can hinder work.
    • I faced a lot of internal red tape when getting work done.
    • Entry level internships have low wages which can be demotivating over the long run.

Advice to Management

Please look into wages for interns. Otherwise, you're doing awesome. Keep it going.

Showing 2,528 of 2,783 reviews