Schneider Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren
Chris Lofgren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Managers respect work / life balance , and allow the option to work from home full time" (in 20 reviews)

• "Flexible and great people everywhere" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance could be better" (in 22 reviews)

• "Low pay for industry but average for a first job" (in 28 reviews)

1. "Sales account executive"

Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Schneider full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so willing to help and friendly.

Cons

None that I know of

2. "Great place to retire."

Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Outstanding support throughout the company.

Cons

More desirable opportunities fill up quickly.

Advice to Management

Offer better referral bonuses.

3. "I wish I would have made it through."

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Schneider full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schneider was the first of two companies that I drove for. I came straight out of a CDL refresher course and Schneider was the first one that I applied with and they took me. Even so I drove for them one month only due to a few accidents in the yard (I had a hard learning curve) which caused my job to be terminated, I had five more months with another company and I heard a few things on the road which made me realize that Schneider is a well oiled machine that knows what they are doing. Both companies used NAVIGO. However, I do not know if it differs from company to company. With the second one that I was driving for the Navigo showed that I arrived at a destination when clearly the destination wasn't at the exact point that I was at, like right next to the off ramp. So I had to use my Waze app on my phone to show me the exact location. That never happened with Schneider. Actually, it was the accident that I had with the other company where I had to get off the road for a tire change and I dutifully, as we learned at Schneider, die not use the REROUTE button but instead went into the address book and did a new search query. It ended up taking me down two narrow roads with a 90 degree turn where I missed the fence post on my blind side but the trailer overhand swiped a parked vehicle on the other side of the road. Clearly, Schneider has it down to the ground in many areas that make driving for them enjoyful.

Cons

Schneider needs to do less class room. I found out with the other company that training five weeks on the road and learning how to use the board computer and backing and all that prepares you to be a better driver than learning how to train on the Schneider yard in Carlisle, PA. I have encountered some places where it was way smaller. And my five days with a trainer turned out to be three days only and one backing into a lane that had no trailers parked on either side. What Schneider failed to do the other company did provide, helping me to gain confidence even to park in a tight spot at a truck stop parking lot.

Advice to Management

Have more one on one training time on the road with trainer doing their runs, not driving through the town of Carlisle. Most class room subjects can be learned on the go.

Schneider Response

Jun 20, 2018 – Social Media Coordinator

We're sorry things didn't work out but we're glad you retained some of Schneider's quality training during orientation. Our goal is to make sure drivers are safe and ready to hit the road. Thank you... More

4. "OTR driving is a tough life. Schneider made it easier."

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was able to drive through every state in the country. Not stuck in one spot. In twelve years I only had a problem getting home on time twice. Able to talk too my supervisor about anything. Gave me all the time off I needed when there was an illness in my family.

Cons

They have closed down many operating centers . To make good money you must stay out at least three weeks and take the fewest amount of days off.

Advice to Management

Be honest. We know what life we have signed up for. It makes it easier when we get the whole story.

Schneider Response

Jun 15, 2018 – Digital Marketing Manager

Thanks for the great review and feedback! We appreciate your time with the Big Orange and all the hard work you put in every day. Trucking can be tough but our driver support team does their best to... More

5. "Great benefits and experience but stressful"

I worked at Schneider full-time

Pros

Benefits are great, coworkers are great, flexible

Cons

A lot of pressure and there was a possibility you could lose your job if you didn't do well

6. "Account Service Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits; Work environment is team oriented and a strong company with a strategic goal for success.

Cons

Currently there are no local openings to advance; corporate headquarters is not local. To move up you have to relocate.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities within the local market and provide more advantages to associates. Overall management is fair and trustworthy.

7. "Employees"

Former Employee - Freight Broker in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Freight Broker in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment, great place to grow and make a career

Cons

Lots of "clicks" in the work place, decisions are based not on merit but on seniority even though new employees might be better suited for a task

8. "Driver"

I worked at Schneider full-time

Pros

OK pay. Adequate home time. Great way to get into the industry, they have excellent training. Also some good work experience.

Cons

It seemed like there were some communication issues going on...For instance, being sent to a location to pick up a load that had already been picked up by another driver...

Advice to Management

Get your DBLs a little more invested in their drivers' success. Seems like there were routine careless mistakes that drivers had to deal with. Mostly just information system issues, I guess.

9. "Warehouse Associate"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Helena, MT
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Helena, MT

I have been working at Schneider full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work hours, Decent pay.

Cons

none as of now that I can come up with.

Advice to Management

Need more employees in the warehouse.

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Customer Service Intern
    Former Employee - Customer Service Intern

I worked at Schneider (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great way to get my foot in the corporate world and see what it was like working 9-5. The people were great.

Cons

The work was stagnant and boring, with little opportunity to grow and learn during my summer internship.