Schneider Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren
Chris Lofgren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Managers respect work / life balance , and allow the option to work from home full time (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible and great people everywhere (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 21 reviews)

• low pay but room for improvement (in 24 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the other sellers.

Cons

Micro-manage their employees like little kids...

Advice to Management

Trust and value employees more

"Driver"

Current Employee - Van Dedicated in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Van Dedicated in Denver, CO

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My home time and pay are great

Cons

There is to much micro management and stress inflection by the way they make you comply with there sleep apnea program. Almost everyone will be put on a cpap if your a driver. The program has many flaws in the way it's administered. The program is only there for company financial gain. And the way that they do it is by intemadation, black male which creates a hostile work environment. And you have to pay for this. Once Schenider forces you for a sleep study you CDL is marked.

Advice to Management

Let the driver do the job you hired them for and don't treat medical conditions you or personal are not qualified for. Stop micro managing so much. There is a very good saying. IF IT'S NOT BROKE DONT TRY AND FIX IT.

"Intermodal Driver"

Current Employee - Local Truck Driver in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Local Truck Driver in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You go home every night. That's it.

Cons

The hours are long and they pay is insulting. I work in San Bernardino, CA and we're paid $10.50 an hour plus load pay and miles. Management wants the drivers to work a minimum of 10 hours a day even when freight is slow. They've crafted a method of dispatching to ensure that they get 10 hours of work out of you. Load pay ranges anywhere from $20.50-$30.50 based on how long you've been there. They also have a performance system in play that adds up to $6 in addition to your load pay if you can manage to hit a targeted number combined of several categories such as your, (days work, MPG, over speed, and preventable accidents). The mileage pays $0.10 a mile so racking up on miles is a no go here, which sucks because we frequent San Diego. The office personnel doesn't care about any of your grievances, they'll tell you anything to get you out of their face. The office personnel dislikes the fact that you make more money than they do and their not afraid to let you know either. The dispatchers dish out loads at random so don't be surprised if they want you to go from Moreno Valley, CA all the way to Compton, CA (about 80 miles) to pick up a load. This place sucks.

Advice to Management

They need to increase the wages for starters. The pay is a joke and if this company ever wants to compete with the big dogs like UPS, FedEX, or WalMart they better step up big time. Either shorten the work hours or pay overtime. Most respectable trucking companies pay their drivers overtime.

4. "Fleet Manager"

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fast pace, really enjoyed working with the Business Partners. Enjoy my job tremendously!

Cons

Upper Management let hourly associates dictate how terminal was going to be run. Long hours, and had to go through to many channels to make a good business decision for the company.

Advice to Management

Improve your leadership skills!!!

"Dedicated dollar accounts"

Current Employee - Tractor Trailer Driver in Front Royal, VA
    Current Employee - Tractor Trailer Driver in Front Royal, VA

I have been working at Schneider full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High pay potential for fast work

Cons

Backbreaking very physical work, hard backing, HOS hours used unloading, touch every case hand unloading up to 44,000 lbs.

Advice to Management

Update unloading methods and use lighter trailers, with more stores per load

6. "Owner Operator"

Current Contractor - Owner Operator in Green Bay, WI
    Current Contractor - Owner Operator in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Schneider as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Schneider Financial has a great purchase program and no down payment if you contract with Schneider National. Learn how the load board works, how to run you business, where the better loads are etc.

Cons

Not the best company to drive for as an independent contractor. Owner operators get the scraps and the better paying loads go to the company drivers. Loads cancel a lot and causes a loss of income almost every week and Schneider does not care at all. I do not see the "family atmosphere" that others have mentioned. They are a typical mega carrier. Learn what you can in 90 days or so then go elsewhere to actually make money.

Advice to Management

Treat ALL drivers with respect and loyalty and you will get the same in return.

"Not the best or the worst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Schneider full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok place to gain entry level experience but don't stay too long. There are some truly good leaders and if you get one count yourself lucky.

Cons

Hard to move up the corporate ladder. Several employees see to "fall upward" while other good employees aren't recognized for their hard work and are left sitting because leadership is afraid they would have to train new individuals or they are just to lazy to help develop their people. Several middle managers are only looking out for themselves so it makes finding a true career difficult.

Advice to Management

Have HR truly be separate and work for the benefit of all associates ... learn to help the leaders without becoming biased. Use the HR team to evaluate managers look at trends and perform better exit interviews to learn where problem areas exist. End micro-managers.

Have better recognition and reward of associates work and better career paths vs. simply jobs.

Have more flexibility for work life balance.

"Unorganized, typical starter company"

Former Employee - Driver in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Driver in Houston, TX

I worked at Schneider full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent equipment, lots of terminals

Cons

Dispatch (DBL), trailer hunting, home time

Advice to Management

Should be easier to speak to your specific DBL. 9/10 times I spoke to whoever was available at your home OC. No real leadership

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours decent pay. Company with many things to offer

Cons

Lots of micro-managing in customer service, no freedom to run your accounts. Every little thing you do is tracked and criticized. Even people who have tons of experience are micro managed and told they aren't doing good enough. All I ever heard from manager was what I was doing wrong, then a week later had an in person meeting with customer who said we were doing amazing. Too many changes to the systems as well. Extremely stressful position as it is "hair on fire" all day every day.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing our every move, almost literally, and let us run our own desks how we see fit. The constant stress of dealing with managers laundry list of requests takes its toll. Pay better and stop micro managing...and people will stop leaving at an alarming rate. It reflects bad on you.

"All over the place"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will get you home when you want.

Cons

Very inconsistent with miles. Many times you get a preloaded assignment to find out that it is a live load when you get there. Or vice versa. Then you have to wait forever for them to change tasks. Detention pay is horrible, which happens alot. Sign on bonuses​ are pointless, they are taxed at 40%. Don't let them fool you. I have a perfect driving record, but was let go because someone reported me doing a legal u-turn at an intersection. This is a day after I reported that I had to go to emergency room for shingles which I had been working with for 4 days without any meds. Coincidence?, I think not. By the way, they will try to prevent you from getting quarter bonuses, I have an inside source that says they get incentives for keeping drivers under a certain criteria. Watch out, and protect yourself.

Advice to Management

Stop being selfish and realize that without drivers , you have no business. Pay us what we deserve. If you have not been a driver then you have no business being a driver manager.