Schneider Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren
Chris Lofgren

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 19 reviews)

• Low pay, tough to move up due to tenured employees (in 22 reviews)

"Order filler"

Former Employee - Order Filler in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Order Filler in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay. Lots of OT if you need it. You can easily move up if you work for it and kiss you know what to the right people.

Cons

Management is always on you. The people who work there live for drama. You get written up for everything. Everyone there is low class. Nobody knows how to act.

Advice to Management

Learn how to provide a good work environment and talk to your workers.

"Old School Company, Boring Business"

Former Employee - Business Reporting Analyst in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Business Reporting Analyst in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

corporate headquarters building in Green Bay is well maintained with good amentities such as cafeteria.

Cons

stiff, old-school corporate hierarchical structure where they view employees as expendable assets only

business reporting analysts are over-worked, under-appreciated, and grossly under-paid. try asking for a raise and you will get the worst type of verbal gymnastics that will make give you no concrete information and will make you feel guilty for asking

Advice to Management

watch out for Uber in 5 years getting in the transporation industry and totally crippling your business

"It's ok if your just starting out. But probably better off being an owner operator."

Current Employee - Regional Tanker Driver in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Tanker Driver in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Schneider full-time

Pros

They have a lot of freight. So you'll keep moving. It's best to get your hazmat it opens up a lot of doors to haul more freight. Money for it could be better. It doesn't increase it as much. But it's more freight to get you home.

Cons

They lied about the position. I'm a tanker driver and I signed on to only drive 90% of the southeast region, not going past Delaware. They had me almost in Massachusetts and everywhere up north on New Jersey. When I asked to get switched over to intermodal or to Dry Van. They didn't want me to change over saying it would take 2 weeks to process the paper work when it doesn't. Then they say they want you to change within 6months of being there. The communication with customer service and The DBL is horrible. Sometimes you'll get a load and it's not supposed to be there until maybe 3days later at a different time then they tell you. Their the Walmart brand of Tanker division. The trucks are really slow. The bonuses are how they try to reel people in. But it's not worth the Hassel. It's going to get taxed and you'll barley see a difference. Some of the DBLS don't know what they are talking about and are fairly new.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to drivers to reel them in and have a position filled. And tell the truth about the money and how it is not a major difference.

5. "Entry-level Driving Job"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Paid CDL training (with 1yr contract)
    -Gain driving experience.

Cons

-The Dedicated account job I'm currently in is advertised as "up to $65,000/yr". I am working at an above-average level and will gross $45,000 this year. I calculated what I would have to do to make 65 and found it would be 100% impossible.

Advice to Management

Treat Drivers better. WE NEED APUS IN THE TRUCKS!!! How am I supposed to sleep when its 90 degrees inside my truck and it wont let me idle??? That tiny little joke of a fan doesn't help!

6. "Hard company to work for."

Current Employee - Company Driver
    Current Employee - Company Driver

I have been working at Schneider full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No real benefits for someone like me just breaking into the industry

Cons

Very little home time, low pay for the responsibility of being in the truck 24/7, rough life, don't make enough to even keep the lights on at home

Advice to Management

Give new employees a better starting wage. 0.28 a mile might have been good in the 1950's but not now. Bot worth the time or effort to work for Schneider

"Best Days Behind Them"

Former Employee - Regional Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Regional Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Individual employees are some of the best people to work with in the industry. Many great veteran drivers working there. This company used to be a "goal" company to eventually work for to continue your career.

Cons

They have gotten so focused on "Safety" that they have actually created a more unsafe environment. From collision mitigation systems that slam on the truck brakes for nothing, to hyper-sensitive computers that have no concept of actual surroundings. They hire hundreds of inexperienced drivers weekly while struggling to keep their veteran drivers consistently moving. They no longer listen to their drivers but more the insurance company and selling out the Driver to save a buck.

Advice to Management

Start trusting the veteran drivers again and stop hiring 4-week steering wheel holding graduates. Get rid of the over computerized trucks and automatic transmissions and let the Driver control their vehicle. Quit firing your top drivers who have had no accidents or tickets "because a computer says so".

"Low weekly take-home"

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. A place to get experience other companies require.

Cons

I give them 4 weeks to make sure there are no excuses why I don't get enough work and I still don't get enough work. Often I'm sitting or have a load that is scheduled for delivery two days after a modest ETA. Even worse I'm regional Houston but am in Gary Indiana doing 200 mile loads. I feel they are begging me to leave. I'll oblige.

Advice to Management

I don't know if it's favoritism or slow but you sure need to communicate this. I have a financial goal just as Schneider does. My time is valuable.

"Not a place to make a living"

Pros

Decent training with old company. Not much good to say about them. They have a huge turnover rate. Good training pay

Cons

I made more money during training than driving. They refused to write down your extra pay for anything but driving. Wasn't happy with the company. They penny lunch every aspect of your money and mask wages as per diem. In reality I was making $200 $300 a week. Spoke with many other drivers driving 3000 miles a week and making $200. You MUST log every single thing you do. I refuse to be away from my family to work 7 hours a week and make 25% less than minimum wage. Nope not this guy.

"Truck Driver"

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is okay for a trucking company. They provide new trucks and always have constant freight as most Mega carriers do.

Cons

They told me I would only be out for 11 days then home for three, They tell you that to reel you in. Once you're you get home when you get home simple as that. Plus the pay is not what they said unless I were to run 4k miles a week.

Advice to Management

Keep your word when someone accepts a job, if you're honest the drivers will know what to expect. You may not realize it be we are real people with families.

"If you are a robot they will love you"

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is a little above average.
    Stable company with a great past.

Cons

This is the most political company I have ever worked at. I was a middle manager and they only want the company line and not the truth if it disagrees with the Green Bay team. If you are not from the mid west you will hate this company.

Advice to Management

Hire people from outside Green Bay once in a whiile then listen to there comments. You have a good company but the Green Bay in-breading shows, not all good ideas start in GB or the mid west.