KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Feb 25, 2021

Found 25 of over 250 reviews

4.0
Schnitzer Steel Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Tamara L. Lundgren
Tamara L. Lundgren

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "They offered pretty good benefits(in 26 reviews)
  • "Great people and team.(in 19 reviews)
  • "I guess decent pay depending on who you are and who's your friend(in 18 reviews)
  • "Taking care of their good employees(in 6 reviews)
  • "Awesome team to work with.(in 5 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management by department lead(in 17 reviews)
  • "In one year I worked under 4 managers and 5 assistant managers.(in 10 reviews)
  • "The upper management will Not allow the managers to take days off to be with their family as needed, however the upper management only works Mon(in 8 reviews)
  • "Frequent layoffs and downsizing, along with remote management (eat coast) made for a lot of stress.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Most employees can't take time off.(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Schnitzer Steel and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Let's work the managers to death...

Sep 21, 2012 - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits package and reasonably priced for the employees

Cons

The required Sunday -Thursday or Tuesday - Saturday schedule for the managers is not reasonable. The upper management will Not allow the managers to take days off to be with their family as needed, however the upper management only works Mon-Fri... The Requirement for store managers to work Every Holiday is not reasonable, especially when the upper management is at home with their family on the Holiday. The total lack of support from upper management is unbelievable. They do however enjoy enforcing the "Pick & Punish" method of management. The number of Store Managers that have left the company in the past 6 months should be a "wake up call" to the Stockholders that this company is falling fast.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good place Great People

Nov 10, 2019 - Forklift Operator in Antelope, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

good pay, great culture. very good and affordable benefits.

Cons

summers are HOT, winters are wet and cold.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overall a good place

Feb 25, 2021 - Accounts Payable Clerk in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Stable work environment Competent leadership Good benefits

Cons

Due to the nature of the scrap business work and workflow can be a bit sporadic some weeks you’ll be up to you’re eyeballs in work, others you’ll sit around not doing much

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good job

Feb 16, 2022 - Equipment Operator in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good job benefits and pay.

Cons

None good job very happy

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Contact Center Representative

Oct 22, 2015 - Contact Center Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It was a job that paid some of my bills. They offered pretty good benefits

Cons

- Management needs additional training - Does not promote from within - Very low moral - Not not thoroughly vet applicants

6. 3.0

Customer servic

May 29, 2016 -  in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits were good. Had a lot of fun with coworkers.

Cons

Money is low. Work every holiday and all saturday

7. 1.0

CASHIER

Jul 13, 2016 -  in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and Pay you do have holidays off

Cons

Management are complete lies they do not care about you or your family

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

Bottom Feeders Apply

Sep 24, 2020 - Senior Buyer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and pto pay.

Cons

Layoffs, excessive workload and penny pinching.

Schnitzer Steel Response

Human Resources

Thank you for your 10+ years of service. We’re working to recognize areas in which we can act faster and improve processes, and we’re taking action to do so. Your feedback has been heard and shared with senior leadership for improvement.

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

It’s fall, time to cut costs

Sep 26, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

No shortage of work to be done. Benefits are good and management with a clue are awesome.

Cons

Once again it’s fall and the jobs at Schnitzer Steel are turning into layoffs. Nothing says happy holidays like a pink slip. The market is tanking, the upper management is panicking and they’re trying to figure out what and how many lower level employees to get rid of so that those at the top can keep their bloated salaries and bonuses. HR will now scurry to post positive reviews so that the CEO’s rating doesn’t tank anymore, but nothing else will change. The market will continue to fall, the yards will be pushed harder to produce more with less. Those spared this round of layoffs will wonder if they’re to be in the Thanksgiving or Christmas rounds. Those of us with marketable skills have already started looking elsewhere if they haven’t already. Long time employees will continue to complain about the company, some even offering up suggestions for how to improve the environment and morale only to be ignored. The CEO’s inability to get through a town call meeting without 20 “ah’s” and 30 “um’s”.

10 people found this review helpful

Schnitzer Steel Response

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We understand your concerns and value input from our employees. Our goal is for Schnitzer Steel to be a positive experience for all of our employees – those who work at our Pick-n-Pull stores, Metals Yards, Steel Manufacturing Mill, and at our Corporate offices. With over 110 years in the metals recycling industry we recognize that at times there are market challenges but we continue to look for ways to grow and create a rewarding and sustainable experience. This is enabled by you and others sharing your experiences and feedback, thank you.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Short term

May 29, 2018 - Site Manager Supervisor in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay for management good benefits for all excellent place to sharpen skills and practice busy coworkers friendly

Cons

Wears you down same things occur constantly supervisors and higher make all the money subordinates treated terrible high turnover rate

3 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews

Popular Careers with Schnitzer Steel Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Schnitzer Steel? Share Your Experiences

Schnitzer Steel Careers

Cover image for Schnitzer Steel

As a global leader in the thriving metals recycling industry, Schnitzer Steel is an exciting place to work. Our fast-paced environment...More

• Our Benefits
  • Our Initiatives
  • Diversity
  • Our Community

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

129 days ago

Company News
We are proud to announce Schnitzer has been recognized by Newsweek as one of America's Most Responsible Companies of 2022. This is the third year in a row we have been included on this prestigious list of nearly 500 public corporations who share a commitment to environmental and social responsibility. Leaning on Schnitzer's core values of safety, sustainability and integrity, we illustrate our commitment to ESG by delivering quality recycled metals, affordable recovered auto parts, and low-carbon finished steel products to customers around the world to support the transition to a sustainable future for us all. View the complete list of America's Most Responsible Companies of 2022 at the link below.
Shared image - America's Most Responsible Companies 2022
America's Most Responsible Companies 2022
www.newsweek.com

141 days ago

Employee Story
Congratulations to Schnitzer's Vice President, Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer & Deputy General Counsel, Callie Pappas, for receiving the Ethisphere Business Ethics Leadership Alliance Emeritus award. This award honors those whose individual achievement has provided enduring and inspirational advocacy for the compliance and ethics profession. Callie's leadership illustrates Schnitzer's commitment to responsible and sustainable operations and dedication to the highest ethical standards. Congratulations, Callie!
Shared image - Business Ethics Leadership Alliance (BELA) Honors Ethics and Compliance Community Standouts at 2022 BELA Impact Awards
ethisphere.com