KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Oct 22, 2021

Found 20 of over 250 reviews

4.0
Schnitzer Steel Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Tamara L. Lundgren
Tamara L. Lundgren

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "They offered pretty good benefits(in 26 reviews)
  • "Great people and team.(in 19 reviews)
  • "I guess decent pay depending on who you are and who's your friend(in 18 reviews)
  • "Taking care of their good employees(in 6 reviews)
  • "Awesome team to work with.(in 5 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management by department lead(in 17 reviews)
  • "In one year I worked under 4 managers and 5 assistant managers.(in 10 reviews)
  • "The upper management will Not allow the managers to take days off to be with their family as needed, however the upper management only works Mon(in 8 reviews)
  • "Frequent layoffs and downsizing, along with remote management (eat coast) made for a lot of stress.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Most employees can't take time off.(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Schnitzer Steel and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee

Great group of People

Jul 28, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great group of people outside of work!

Cons

Too many politics and layoffs every 6-12 months

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Pick N Pull sales supervisor

Nov 16, 2019 - Pick N Pull Sales Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great, pay is fair. Great people throughout the company

Cons

Corporate chain of command is to lengthy to achieve significant results in a timely manner

Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience working at Schnitzer Steel. We strive to create an open culture and value feedback so that we can continue to grow and become an even better company.

3. 1.0
    Current Employee

Toxic

Apr 3, 2016 -  in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

99% of the people are great offices are nice technology is good

Cons

HR is useless. Don't keep things confidential. HRBP never gets back to you. he is never at his desk. CEO doesn't live here and doesn't know how to fix anything that is wrong. Laid off people last spring. laid off a bunch more in february and are going to lay off a bunch more this summer. They are losing money like crazy

13 people found this review helpful

Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and perspective. At Schnitzer a key focus is in providing a rewarding and positive employment experience and we strive towards that end. Over the last year, our industry has experienced unprecedented challenges and we have had to make very tough decisions as we continue to shape our organization in a direction that will provide value to our customers and a work experience and environment consistent with our commitments. Thank you again for taking the time in sharing and we hope that going forward you will have more positive experiences.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Company going through some difficult changes..... Are they doomed

Feb 10, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is reasonable for the amount of responsibility. Some great people that work there. Most corp support staff are really good at helping you get stuff done. company does bonus but only saw that once.

Cons

You will work 11 to 12 hour days to get it all done. And you still won't get it all done. Unrealistic expectations. Company is a safety and environmental nightmare with state inspectors and unsafe work conditions everywhere. Company is way top heavy with too many managers and not near enough labor hours to meet production and sales goals. The smart a valueable leadership always leave to work for parent company Schnitzer steel. Says safety is the #1 priority but willing to work people in dangerous environment six days at 10 hrs a day to drive results. Company is struggling financially and it shows in every conversation with leadership. Unwilling to fix safety issues to drive bottomline #'s. pay the workers in production right and you will decrease the massive turnover. Employees often leave after one week of employeement due to workload and little pay. Management training is non existant. The training does not include any training on job duties or systems. Be prepared to learn or die on your own.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

NE Dispatcher

Jan 25, 2017 -  in Billerica, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team of people in the New England Region.

Cons

Overlooking some of the daily activities of job performances.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Annoynmous

Aug 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Political, lack of training, unnecessary overtime, micromanaging, constant changes, management not keeping their word, no work life balance, not flexible depending on the dept.

6 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Amazing

Sep 25, 2020 - Administrative Assistant in Tacoma, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Nothing. I would not change a thing.

Human Resources

Thank you for the review. We truly appreciate your passion and dedication to our organization. Employees such as yourself are critical to the company and are an inspiration to others.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Contented

May 22, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with. Current GM of MRB Portland yard doing a wonderful job in spite of the layoffs. Wonderful benefits and pay. Opportunities to grow within the company. Great place to learn diverse skill sets. Suitable work hours and PTO accrual. Always looking for positive ways to improve.

Cons

Currently, employees are stretched thin and overworked. Communication needs major improvement. Taking action after decision making is too slow. Claims to offer tuition assistance, but has numerous undisclosed restrictions.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A lot to offer

Feb 19, 2021 - Human Resources Business Partner
    Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits Opportunities to make positive impact Supportable mission (planet, people and profit) Great leadership (my boss is AMAZING). The people are great!!!

Cons

Work still being done to unify into a one Schnitzer model - lots of opportunities to improve and streamline processes (Pro is this is recognized and is a focus area).

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Senior Accountant

Oct 22, 2021 - Senior Accountant in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and team. Typically good work life balance.

Cons

The pay is below average compared to other roles in the Portland metro area senior staff accounting roles. Offered no technology stipend for the pandemic.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews

Popular Careers with Schnitzer Steel Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Schnitzer Steel? Share Your Experiences

Schnitzer Steel Careers

Cover image for Schnitzer Steel

As a global leader in the thriving metals recycling industry, Schnitzer Steel is an exciting place to work. Our fast-paced environment...More

• Our Benefits
  • Our Initiatives
  • Diversity
  • Our Community

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

128 days ago

Company News
We are proud to announce Schnitzer has been recognized by Newsweek as one of America's Most Responsible Companies of 2022. This is the third year in a row we have been included on this prestigious list of nearly 500 public corporations who share a commitment to environmental and social responsibility. Leaning on Schnitzer's core values of safety, sustainability and integrity, we illustrate our commitment to ESG by delivering quality recycled metals, affordable recovered auto parts, and low-carbon finished steel products to customers around the world to support the transition to a sustainable future for us all. View the complete list of America's Most Responsible Companies of 2022 at the link below.
Shared image - America's Most Responsible Companies 2022
America's Most Responsible Companies 2022
www.newsweek.com

141 days ago

Employee Story
Congratulations to Schnitzer's Vice President, Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer & Deputy General Counsel, Callie Pappas, for receiving the Ethisphere Business Ethics Leadership Alliance Emeritus award. This award honors those whose individual achievement has provided enduring and inspirational advocacy for the compliance and ethics profession. Callie's leadership illustrates Schnitzer's commitment to responsible and sustainable operations and dedication to the highest ethical standards. Congratulations, Callie!
Shared image - Business Ethics Leadership Alliance (BELA) Honors Ethics and Compliance Community Standouts at 2022 BELA Impact Awards
ethisphere.com