KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 14, 2019

Found 14 of over 250 reviews

4.0
Schnitzer Steel Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Tamara L. Lundgren
Tamara L. Lundgren

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "They offered pretty good benefits(in 26 reviews)
  • "Great people and team.(in 19 reviews)
  • "I guess decent pay depending on who you are and who's your friend(in 18 reviews)
  • "Taking care of their good employees(in 6 reviews)
  • "Awesome team to work with.(in 5 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management by department lead(in 17 reviews)
  • "In one year I worked under 4 managers and 5 assistant managers.(in 10 reviews)
  • "The upper management will Not allow the managers to take days off to be with their family as needed, however the upper management only works Mon(in 8 reviews)
  • "Frequent layoffs and downsizing, along with remote management (eat coast) made for a lot of stress.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Most employees can't take time off.(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Schnitzer Steel and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

The people make it great

Oct 14, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the most amazing co-workers I have ever worked with. The office is fun and the company has employee events that show their appreciation. Benefits are good and pay is great.

Cons

The bonus pool is skewed so that upper management always gets a decent bonus while the general employees bonuses (the ones that could really benefit from it) get cut when we have had a bad year.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Let's work the managers to death...

Sep 21, 2012 - Store Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits package and reasonably priced for the employees

Cons

The required Sunday -Thursday or Tuesday - Saturday schedule for the managers is not reasonable. The upper management will Not allow the managers to take days off to be with their family as needed, however the upper management only works Mon-Fri... The Requirement for store managers to work Every Holiday is not reasonable, especially when the upper management is at home with their family on the Holiday. The total lack of support from upper management is unbelievable. They do however enjoy enforcing the 'Pick & Punish' method of management. The number of Store Managers that have left the company in the past 6 months should be a 'wake up call' to the Stockholders that this company is falling fast.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0

Store Manager

Feb 13, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Run fast from this Company

Cons

Poor Training. They told me several times they don't care about the lower end employees. I was cussed at several times. This company treats people like they are slaves. I witnessed employees passing out because of heat conditions. Upper management told me just to hire new people and replace them. A very sad company to work for.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0

Horrible

Jun 3, 2022 - Yard Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing good to say very one sided unless you’re upper management

Cons

Terrible working conditions, long hours, terrible management

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee

The worst work-related mistake of my life

Aug 8, 2012 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are no good things about this company. They hire you with a simple job description and then keep adding pressure to perform more and more.

Cons

I was hired at one level of workload that was then upped over 150% within a year without a pay raise for it. No support from management because they were the ones with the whip. They also try to make you fake being happy when the upper management comes through.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

One of the most criminally minded and knowingly polluting industrial facility I’ve ever seen.

Feb 16, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are in the upper management click you are taken care of. Overtime is a plus but is almost mandatory.

Cons

Too many to name. Do not support this facility in any way shape or form. They don’t take the time to fix critical mistakes in their environmental, ethics, or safety policies.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0

Save yourself the heartache

Jun 9, 2015 - Office Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, decent benefits, fair amount of paid holidays and time off.

Cons

The minute the market crashes they lay off as many people as they can. Then they continue to pile the laid off employees duties on to those still employed - over and over and over. One person is suddenly now equivalent to two or three. This creates a highly stressful and depressing workplace. Not to mention the regional director likes to thinks that lies he tells will you keep you satisfied, talking to everyone as if it is all a temporary hiccup. Even when the market returns they never let you rehire new employees. Why should they, now they can pay less and overwork the existing employees. I loved working for Schnitzer, and, thought I would retire with them. After six years I couldn't be more disappointed with the poor management on almost every level of the SW region. If you are related to upper management or long time buddies you are secure no matter how terrible of a person or employee you may be.

11 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lynnwood Pick n Pull is a sham of a company

Sep 25, 2014 - CSA in Lynnwood, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pays more than Walmart and that's pretty much the only pro in this company

Cons

It's a negative work place all around employees get treated with hardly any respect from upper management and behind closed doors they are continually talking about the employees making negative comments that have no real importance to their work ethic, employees are continually called lazy and unproductive when in reality the management can't give proper instruction or direction to let employees know what they need to get done or provide the proper tools to get the job required done, then complain that nothing gets done when in reality no expectations are communicated. There is little communication between management and staff because they have more important matters to attend to such as stealing company time on the clock using their computers to browse the Internet to search for an upgrade for their personal cell phones or buying themselves personal items for personal use. When during conference calls for management they won't open the door for us to ask questions or provide us with items we need to do our jobs properly. On the occasion upper management from regional or district managers are coming to visit the day before hand all employees are cleaning up messes and making it appear that we have been doing our jobs properly the whole time when in reality we are instructed to do things improperly to save time and meetoccasion upper management from regional or district managers are coming to visit the day before hand all employees are cleaning up messes and making it appear that we have been doing our jobs properly the whole time when in reality we are instructed to do things improperly to save time and meetoccasion upper management from regional or district managers are coming to visit the day before hand all employees are cleaning up messes and making it appear that we have been doing our jobs properly the whole time when in reality we are instructed to do things improperly to save time and meet our unrealistic goals. It seems upon looking at the previous reviews all locations are very similar and something obviously needs to change.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

It’s fall, time to cut costs

Sep 26, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

No shortage of work to be done. Benefits are good and management with a clue are awesome.

Cons

Once again it’s fall and the jobs at Schnitzer Steel are turning into layoffs. Nothing says happy holidays like a pink slip. The market is tanking, the upper management is panicking and they’re trying to figure out what and how many lower level employees to get rid of so that those at the top can keep their bloated salaries and bonuses. HR will now scurry to post positive reviews so that the CEO’s rating doesn’t tank anymore, but nothing else will change. The market will continue to fall, the yards will be pushed harder to produce more with less. Those spared this round of layoffs will wonder if they’re to be in the Thanksgiving or Christmas rounds. Those of us with marketable skills have already started looking elsewhere if they haven’t already. Long time employees will continue to complain about the company, some even offering up suggestions for how to improve the environment and morale only to be ignored. The CEO’s inability to get through a town call meeting without 20 “ah’s” and 30 “um’s”.

10 people found this review helpful

Schnitzer Steel Response

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We understand your concerns and value input from our employees. Our goal is for Schnitzer Steel to be a positive experience for all of our employees – those who work at our Pick-n-Pull stores, Metals Yards, Steel Manufacturing Mill, and at our Corporate offices. With over 110 years in the metals recycling industry we recognize that at times there are market challenges but we continue to look for ways to grow and create a rewarding and sustainable experience. This is enabled by you and others sharing your experiences and feedback, thank you.

Viewing 1 - 14 of 14 English Reviews

Popular Careers with Schnitzer Steel Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Schnitzer Steel? Share Your Experiences

Schnitzer Steel Careers

Cover image for Schnitzer Steel

As a global leader in the thriving metals recycling industry, Schnitzer Steel is an exciting place to work. Our fast-paced environment...More

• Our Benefits
  • Our Initiatives
  • Diversity
  • Our Community

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

128 days ago

Company News
We are proud to announce Schnitzer has been recognized by Newsweek as one of America's Most Responsible Companies of 2022. This is the third year in a row we have been included on this prestigious list of nearly 500 public corporations who share a commitment to environmental and social responsibility. Leaning on Schnitzer's core values of safety, sustainability and integrity, we illustrate our commitment to ESG by delivering quality recycled metals, affordable recovered auto parts, and low-carbon finished steel products to customers around the world to support the transition to a sustainable future for us all. View the complete list of America's Most Responsible Companies of 2022 at the link below.
Shared image - America's Most Responsible Companies 2022
America's Most Responsible Companies 2022
www.newsweek.com

141 days ago

Employee Story
Congratulations to Schnitzer's Vice President, Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer & Deputy General Counsel, Callie Pappas, for receiving the Ethisphere Business Ethics Leadership Alliance Emeritus award. This award honors those whose individual achievement has provided enduring and inspirational advocacy for the compliance and ethics profession. Callie's leadership illustrates Schnitzer's commitment to responsible and sustainable operations and dedication to the highest ethical standards. Congratulations, Callie!
Shared image - Business Ethics Leadership Alliance (BELA) Honors Ethics and Compliance Community Standouts at 2022 BELA Impact Awards
ethisphere.com