ScholarBuys Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Smith and Matt Ryan

1. "Great Opportunities with a Fun Team"

Current Employee - Operations and Marketing Coordinator in Carpentersville, IL
    Current Employee - Operations and Marketing Coordinator in Carpentersville, IL

I have been working at ScholarBuys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone works well as a team and we always bounce ideas off each other. The office is an open environment and the team is fun to work with. Every day is different and it is great to have the ability to be creative in my work. Your daily tasks are your responsibility to work on independently with guidance from management. The office is a bonus too with views of the river and a beautiful interior with lots of windows. The windows help if you aren't someone who likes being inside all day. You will continue to progress with pay, time off, and responsibilities if you prove yourself.

Cons

Not too many cons besides sitting majority of day, but that's expected. Sometimes the office is quiet, but we play music which is nice.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide feedback and communicate new developments in the office.

Apr 5, 2017 – Cofounder

ScholarBuys always values feedback from its coworkers. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing your professional growth with our team. We will continue to provide feedback and ... More

"Great Company and Great People"

I have been working at ScholarBuys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ScholarBuys is a great company to work for and is filled with a very fun group of people. Being a small company, everyone is around to help and teach you how to be effective. Plus, the overall work environment makes it fun to be at the office everyday. We have a bags set, basketball hoop and a putting green. In addition to the fun work environment they offer great benefits such as: PTO and Health Insurance.

They provide you with the tools to make as much money as you want, if you are willing to put in the effort. If you show up each day with a good attitude and the drive to make money, you will be successful.

Cons

Learning the different software licensing programs can be stressful at times. Management will tell you where to get the answer and show you how to get the information you need, rather than just answering your question right away. This can be frustrating when you first start, but it teaches you to be self-sufficient.

Nov 4, 2014 – Cofounder

ScholarBuys appreciates hearing from current and former team members. We look forward to seeing you grow with our company.

"Good learning experience"

Former Employee - Marketing & Operations Coordinator in Carpentersville, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing & Operations Coordinator in Carpentersville, IL

I worked at ScholarBuys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will need to learn, absorb, and retain new material at an expedited rate. You will have the opportunity to learn various tasks ranging from accounting to cold calling. If you are able to master these tasks, they will help you efficiently work throughout the day leading to more spare time to take on additional workload.

Open layout which can be a pro or can be a con, depends on your personality and style of work you prefer. Beautiful office building that is centralized in a great part of Carpentersville. "Young" office environment which is also a pro or con, depending on how you flip the coin.... Are you looking to grow your career or get in and get out really quick?

All in all, my take away 'pros' from this position were:
    1.) Somewhat laid back atmosphere.
    2.) You're really your own 'boss' in terms of how you prioritize your workload for the day.
    3.) Positive Environment (this is a swing, there is usually at least one disgruntled sales person)
    4.) Raises occur quarterly for individuals that prove themselves and put in the extra effort.
    5.) Approachable management

Cons

-Expectations are very high for a meager salary. There are raises, but hindsight the baseline of the salary was much too low.
    -As this is a small company, you will need to wear multiple hats, ranging from sales/marketing calls to taking out trash. This set up was okay for me but I know many others that would not be okay with cleaning up after people, when it was not a rotated task and became a burden on two people.
    -If you agree upon a certain item during the hiring process, get it in writing.

Advice to Management

Provide individuals with the tools needed to actually grow certain areas of the business. Purchase programs and systems to allow for proper social, print, and online marketing. You will need to invest money on marketing to acquire additional customers/sales. Allow a work from home option weekly or bi weekly during winter months.

Nov 3, 2014 – Cofounder

ScholarBuys always values feedback from current and former coworkers. Thank you for for being part of our team and we wish you success with your future endeavors.

5. "Great team, great work environment, good opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Carpentersville, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Carpentersville, IL

I have been working at ScholarBuys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ScholarBuys is a great company that caters to the strengths of their employees. I started out as an Operations and Marketing person and learned that Marketing was not my strength, so I moved more into the Operations side of things. Management works with its employees to achieve their long term and short term goals. The office is open, and there are less than 10 people in the office, so open communication is welcome and encouraged. The smaller office setting allows for everyones achievements to be recognized. Management understands the importance of a work/life balance and works with you to obtain that. Myself and another manager currently have children at home and it is never an issue for us to leave for dr appts, school related functions, etc. We currently have a very fun group, who, when they aren't working hard, will take a break to play Bags or Basketball in the office :)

Cons

ScholarBuys is a small shop and not for everyone. While I like that it's small, and allows peoples accomplishments to be recognized, it also allows shines a light on those who don't carry their weight. If you are a driven individual who can follow direction and manage your time wisely, this doesn't pertain to you.

Advice to Management

Continue piggy backing any constructive criticism with positives to maintain the overall great attitudes that we have within our team currently. It's important to maintain continuity of procedures and the structures that we are putting in place to set us up for more success internally and externally.

Nov 3, 2014 – Cofounder

ScholarBuys always values feedback from current and former coworkers. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you grow with our company.

6. "Everyday can be different and rewarding, you won't be disappointed!!!"

I have been working at ScholarBuys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Laid back atmosphere
    - No strict rules to follow, work at your own pace. As long as you do your job you will be successful.
    - Friendly co workers
    - The skies the limit on who to call and what to sell
    - Open territories for the most part
    - Flexibility in pricing out the products to put the most money back in your pocket

Cons

If you are not a self motivator, you will not succeed in this job. You have to be willing to seek the answers to your questions and learn as you go.

Advice to Management

Look into getting 401K and life insurance as options for your employees as well as a possible different commission structure on bids.

Nov 3, 2014 – Cofounder

ScholarBuys always values feedback from current and former coworkers. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing your professional growth with our company.

7. "Strong Team, Great Work Environment, and Plenty of Opportunity for Growth"

I have been working at ScholarBuys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong Sales Experience, whether you're a rookie or a seasoned veteran. Management builds a plan for each team member that is catered to our strengths. With regular meetings and reviews, they maintain a positive "my door is always open" vibe for their employees without micro-managing.

Positive Team Environment - The veteran employees here always make themselves available to assist and coach the new staff. You really feel like everyone is working toward the same goal. The office environment is casual, but not too laid back-everyone is still expected to perform, keeping a good competitive energy.

In my opinion, if you have a good work ethic, a positive attitude, and an out-going personality, it's almost impossible not to succeed in Sales and fit in with the team.

Cons

The training can be stressful if you aren't a self-starter. There isn't a manual or roadmap to guide you through every scenario. Management challenges you to study on your own time and to seek out your own answers (like pretty much any company). This approach can be intimidating if you don't possess a good work ethic. It's good to know that the hard work pays off though-the more time you put in, the greater the opportunities.

Nov 3, 2014 – Cofounder

"Prove yourself and you will be rewarded."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Carpentersville, IL

I have been working at ScholarBuys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scholarbuys normally searches for young, recent college grads but took the chance bringing me on as more of a "seasoned" sales executive. Regardless of the age gap I feel that we all fit together like a well oiled machine. The open office environment helps to keep the communication flowing throughout the day and we learn more by listening to each others conversations with our customers. What works, what doesn't and what can we do to grow as a team.
    Being a reseller of many different offerings can be a bit challenging at times. You have to work extra hard to be an expert of many, but everyone works together to help each other out to learn something new every day.
    The starting salary may not be huge, but if you prove yourself you will be rewarded and recognized. This is not your typical 8 - 5 type of job, if you want to succeed you will need to put in the extra time. Personally, this has been one of the best job experiences ever. I seriously tell people all the time that yes, it's a lot of work but I love every minute of it and it's totally worth working with people I enjoy being around every day. This is my extended family and hope to keep growing with them.

Cons

This position may not be for everyone, either you have the drive or you don't. As we try and keep as much positive energy flowing, sometimes there are some individuals that block that. This can influence others and hamper their efforts. I understand that for many this is their first official job out of college, but need to learn that this isn't a job that you can take lightly. This is a career where deadlines are important and communication is key. Nothing is "handed" to you and you will need to work hard to build or maintain your territory. Some territories are built up more than others therefore they are manged differently. In my opinion there is a bit more pressure to manage these territories because not only do you need to maintain that long time relationship but grow as well. It's a challenge every day, but you get out what you put in.

Advice to Management

Listen to your gut, if someone is not fitting well with the environment then maybe it's time to find a better candidate. An occasional after hours activity would be rewarding or let people have a surprise afternoon off. There are certain times of the year we are not as busy and can be very refreshing to get some extra free time. You have built a great business and I am proud to be a team member.

Nov 3, 2014 – Cofounder

9. "Great company to work for, with many opportunities"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carpentersville, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Carpentersville, IL

I have been working at ScholarBuys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ScholarBuys has an open environment which invites great communication throughout the office. ScholarBuys offers a great amount of freedom, employees aren't tied down to strict rules and regulations. It's almost like you're running your own business.

They offer a great health care plan and both paid holidays + personal days. All team members get along great - it's important in a smaller shop.

ScholarBuys has provided many opportunities that have helped both my career and personal life. Management truly cares about their employees and helps you obtain both short and long-term goals. They also listen when requests are made. It's nice to have a voice that's heard - your ideas are always welcome and taken into consideration.

Cons

In the past, a few reps were kept on too long - well after they needed to go. This really hurt employee synergy. Things always bounced back to normal, however.

Some may say starting salary is small. I completely disagree, those how put in extra effort are recognized and compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee's advise about their counterparts - there have been a few scenarios where others were kept on too long.

May 8, 2013 – VP

Thank you for your feedback. We are certainly learning from our mistakes and hope to continue to build a strong business with the help of great coworkers like you. We encourage you to voice your ... More

"They are Fair, but this is Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Carpentersville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Carpentersville, IL

I worked at ScholarBuys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get a good salary, all things considered. This is not a commission-only job, and you can make ends meet without relying on commission. Important for your first year as a salesperson.

Working at ScholarBuys, which was a smaller company at least while I was there, gave me great insight into B2B sales and the inner workings of a sales company (something with which I was totally unfamiliar at the time I entered my position as a salesperson). This job WILL get you experience; you will be given responsibilities and fully expected to fulfill them.

The neighborhood the job is in is great. Lots of opportunities to get outside and do some exercise on your lunch break, or do some quick shopping.

Cons

Unfortunately my time with ScholarBuys, while short (~1 year), was not rewarding for me. I had issues with the way the company ran:

1. First and foremost, this is a reseller. The pressure to make sales is on high, and the attitude toward the customer is therefore not always completely honest or in their best interest. This is not unique to ScholarBuys by any means; and there really is no other way to run the kind of business they do, which has its place and should not be discredited. They offer a valid service. The problem is that if you're not the kind of person who works well under pressure, especially when that pressure is often about doing things that are not necessarily ethical, you're going to have a bad time here. Make sure you have the right personality for the position. My fantastic experience in another company that works very differently has since cemented my opinion in this regard.

2. Management at this job tends to destroy their own customer relationships over time. Sales is kind of a revolving-door line of work, yet the management wants to make relationship-based sales as opposed to getting aggressive with pricing or inventive with marketing (their attitude to viral marketing aside, they have no idea how to actually do it, and no inclination to actually spend resources researching how to do it). As such, many of their older accounts slip away from them when the original relationship that sold the product ends - which as I mentioned, was often. Management noticed this trend, but responded by micromanaging the older accounts and keeping newer salespeople from really interacting with them in any substantial way. This was done to save the relationship, and would have been fine except that said new salespeople were simultaneously still expected to build a relationship with these accounts. The result was mostly fruitless and awkward for all involved, at least while I was there.

3. Management was not good at setting expectations. They thought they had because they clearly explained their expectations often. Nevertheless, what they said and what they actually evaluated (or appeared to evaluate), seemed to differ almost by day.

Advice to Management

You can't do relationship-based selling. Focus on a sales team that has extensive product knowledge and the ability to troubleshoot/solve customer problems. Spend resources determining how best to market yourselves and have a skilled employee group that executes the marketing for you.

Come up with a company metric that clearly computes the following: (possibility of sale X profit of sale X importance of relationship = effort to put into sale in terms of time spent), and stick to that metric when evaluating your employees.

May 7, 2013 – VP

Our business model is built around relationship selling. Anyone can offer a low price, very few can back it up with proper service. We take pride in the fact that during the entire five year history ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Management in Carpentersville, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Management in Carpentersville, IL

I have been working at ScholarBuys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open work environment. Great location and a nice office space. Excellent benefits; 11 paid holidays, 10 days of paid vacation and an excellent health care plan. The work environment is casual and very laid back. Casual dress environment, flip-flops and shorts all summer. Overall a very fun and youthful group to work with.

Cons

It is a small shop and not for everyone. Most of my coworkers are young and fresh out of college. They are given a small starting salary and are expected to learn on the job. Those that put in the extra effort are rewarded with salary increases and increased responsibilities. Those that do not tend to last for a year or less. If you are looking for a job to pay the bills rather than a career to grow with, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees complaints and concerns about bad apples. Often management hangs on to employees who are not a good fit with the hopes they can turn them into professionals. It would be better to weed out these "one centers" and continue rewarding those who put in the extra time and effort.

Apr 23, 2013 – VP

Thank you for your feedback, it is valued. Any legitimate input (positive or negative) that is provided on this forum is sincerely appreciated. We are sorry that we did correct the situation ... More