Scholars At Your Service Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Scholars At Your Service Founder and Directo Brett Patrontasch
Brett Patrontasch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Worst group to work with!"

Former Employee - Painter in North York, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Painter in North York, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro was being outside and have fresh air.

Cons

Cons:
    -Staff were rude and clique-like. Both the staff and management were disrespectful and referred to me as 'Hey, you."
    -Management were far from being supportive.
    -The "training" was only 30 minutes
    -Lack of direction when it came trying to complete the tasks (clashing viewpoints from staff)
    -I was never paid a single cent for the time I spent working for this company

Advice to Management

A complete training program would be nice so that future employees would be aware of techniques when painting.

2. "Very well organized corporation with great company culture"

Current Employee - Painter in Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Painter in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well organized company. They provide the right resources and training for every employee to succeed. Working with Scholars is more than just a 'punch in - punch out' kind of job... They genuinely care about their employees and furthermore the clients they do work for. Will continue to speak highly of Scholars At Your Service.

Cons

People who are not driven or lack ambition may not fit in well with the business. For those looking to take home a minimum wage cheque with no aspirations for the future, this is not the job for you. The opportunity is always present to make higher compensation and earn promotions, however without the right work ethic employees may feel they are not being compensated fairly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

3. "customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service (More than 3 years)

Pros

if you are looking for part-time work it is great .Hours are perfect, you can work afternoons or evenings or both.

Cons

some downsides are its seasonal, and only if enough students sign up

Advice to Management

it is a great company to work for.I just think more students would sign up if more information was given at time representatives went to the universities.

4. "Development and Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Scholars at your service is an organization that excels at driving the success for the young, motivated people who it employs and gives franchises to. It has been an exciting place to work over the years.

Cons

There is an intolerance towards not being very hard working that can at times be a bit intimidating. This creates a work culture that does not always seem that easy to be comfortable in. You need to have a strong work ethic. It is doable but you have to be willing to give hours.

Advice to Management

I don't have any specific advice at this time. Do not be reticent to question old beliefs and brand traditions in the face of modernity and changing markets.

5. "Get Ready For The Grind"

Current Employee - Franchise Manager
    Current Employee - Franchise Manager

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a Franchise Manager at Scholars At Your Service helped me develop skills I didn't even know I had. Sales, managing, conflict resolution, etc. The relationships I've made with my peers and clients are relationships that will extend past the business of painting. I am very grateful for what this program has taught me, and I would highly recommend to anyone willing to put in the hard work and effort in order to run your own business.

Cons

As in everything, there are ups and downs. Get ready for countless sleepless nights, hundreds of hours of cold calling in the "cold", problems with clients, and issues with employees. However, nothing worth having will be easy. It is because of those tough times that I matured as a businessman, and developed skills that will help me for the rest of my life.

Be advised, this program is not for the faint of heart. You will bust your behind, you will think nothings working, and you will want to quit. But the rewards greatly outweigh the sacrifices. Success in this program is reserved for those who push through the tough times.

6. "Painter"

Pros

Fun
    Convenient
    Fun to work with other people.
    Meet new friends.

Cons

Horrible pay. They say they pay you for 40 hours, it actually takes 50 hours and then they pay you 30 hours. They also pay LATE. Late as in 1-3 month late.

Advice to Management

Get your things together and actually try to help your workers.

7. "Door to door marketer"

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time

Pros

Working outdoors in nice neighbourhoods during the summer and getting good exercise, flexible shift hours.

Cons

Worked on commission (was not communicated clearly in the beginning), often customers do not give you leads because similar services have been in the area or they just aren't interested.

8. "Was not payed, very disorganized."

Former Employee - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

Work outside, get to paint which is decent exercise. Sometimes manager would take us out for a beer on a weekend.

Cons

Was not payed for 2 days of work because client did not pay, was told by regional manager that if my manager did not pay me, then there was nothing he could do. Also, no safety regulations and it was extremely disorganized.

Advice to Management

Improve safety regulations, ensure enough hours for painters, pay painters for work, have emergency funds for when costumers do not pay.

9. "Franchise manager 2010-2012"

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time

Pros

- Good money to be made
    - Met people that will be friends and partner for the rest of my life
    - Developed great business skills
    - Awesome lifestyle and team spirit.
    - Teach you what school doesn't.

Cons

You need to work hard to make your money. In my first summer I made 15,000 for almost a thousand hours worked... that's a lot of efforts, but it's all worth because it developed me and thought me more about myself than I did in school.

10. "Poor experience"

Former Employee - Franchise Manager
    Former Employee - Franchise Manager

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good opportunity to learn running a business

Cons

ridiculously high loyalty rate, next to no training & guidance, poor organizational structure to provide support