Scholars At Your Service Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Scholars At Your Service Founder and Directo Brett Patrontasch
Brett Patrontasch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very well organized corporation with great company culture"

Current Employee - Painter in Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Painter in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well organized company. They provide the right resources and training for every employee to succeed. Working with Scholars is more than just a 'punch in - punch out' kind of job... They genuinely care about their employees and furthermore the clients they do work for. Will continue to speak highly of Scholars At Your Service.

Cons

People who are not driven or lack ambition may not fit in well with the business. For those looking to take home a minimum wage cheque with no aspirations for the future, this is not the job for you. The opportunity is always present to make higher compensation and earn promotions, however without the right work ethic employees may feel they are not being compensated fairly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service (More than 3 years)

Pros

if you are looking for part-time work it is great .Hours are perfect, you can work afternoons or evenings or both.

Cons

some downsides are its seasonal, and only if enough students sign up

Advice to Management

it is a great company to work for.I just think more students would sign up if more information was given at time representatives went to the universities.

3. "Development and Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Scholars at your service is an organization that excels at driving the success for the young, motivated people who it employs and gives franchises to. It has been an exciting place to work over the years.

Cons

There is an intolerance towards not being very hard working that can at times be a bit intimidating. This creates a work culture that does not always seem that easy to be comfortable in. You need to have a strong work ethic. It is doable but you have to be willing to give hours.

Advice to Management

I don't have any specific advice at this time. Do not be reticent to question old beliefs and brand traditions in the face of modernity and changing markets.

4. "Get Ready For The Grind"

Current Employee - Franchise Manager
    Current Employee - Franchise Manager

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a Franchise Manager at Scholars At Your Service helped me develop skills I didn't even know I had. Sales, managing, conflict resolution, etc. The relationships I've made with my peers and clients are relationships that will extend past the business of painting. I am very grateful for what this program has taught me, and I would highly recommend to anyone willing to put in the hard work and effort in order to run your own business.

Cons

As in everything, there are ups and downs. Get ready for countless sleepless nights, hundreds of hours of cold calling in the "cold", problems with clients, and issues with employees. However, nothing worth having will be easy. It is because of those tough times that I matured as a businessman, and developed skills that will help me for the rest of my life.

Be advised, this program is not for the faint of heart. You will bust your behind, you will think nothings working, and you will want to quit. But the rewards greatly outweigh the sacrifices. Success in this program is reserved for those who push through the tough times.

5. "Franchise manager 2010-2012"

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time

Pros

- Good money to be made
    - Met people that will be friends and partner for the rest of my life
    - Developed great business skills
    - Awesome lifestyle and team spirit.
    - Teach you what school doesn't.

Cons

You need to work hard to make your money. In my first summer I made 15,000 for almost a thousand hours worked... that's a lot of efforts, but it's all worth because it developed me and thought me more about myself than I did in school.

6. "Great student run painting company providing quality painting work and value!"

Current Employee - Franchise Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Driven and hard working students!

Cons

There are no mentionable negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

7. "The greatest kickstart a young ambitious entrepreneur could get!"

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scholars at Your Service remains similar to most student painting companies but distinguishes itself in many aspects. Franchise managers will find themselves surrounded by highly competent mentors that will teach them the greatest parts of entrepreneurship. The framework allows FMs to launch a successful company in a very low risk environment and makes it possible to run a business 2 to 3 times larger than what most student would be able to launch on their own. It is tough, it is stressful, it's an experience that makes you doubt about yourself many times. But what do we say? No pain no gain? Here is your chance to make decent money but mostly, to acquire a significant edge over all the other undergrads out there.

Cons

You will find the experience very hard for many reasons. You need to be ready to get out of your comfort zone. It is a program tailored for the most determined and hard-working people. Some are not made for it and realizes it a little too late. But thats part of the game.

8. "TOTAL SCAM-being a painter and they scam the governement."

Current Intern - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Intern - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working outside...friendly staff. And thats about it.

Cons

You are not well paid----from 10,25 to 12$ an hour, but they make over 50$ an hour with you...
    They always estimate less hours then you need...you can work 20 hours on a proect but they said they'll pay you 14 because they didin't estimate well and will not pay you the difference. They promise you over 40 hours a week all summer and you do only 30 on average ( and paid on average 20)
    They take half a million years to pay you: if you do a normal job your manager will NOT pay you until the customer pays...LEGALLY THEY HAVE to pay you. You did your job you are NOT responsible for the costumers whining. DO NOT accept doing any waranty jobs...they don't tell you but they will Sends you a check without pay stub...so If anything hapened to me while doing the job I woudn't have had any proof and would NOT have been insured. and they take over a month to pay you the waranty jobs.

Advice to Management

I WILL sue you.