Scholastic Inside Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson
Dick Robinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management can be somewhat disengaged (in 44 reviews)

• In the three years I have been full-time I have seen almost the entire marketing staff turn over because of this problem (in 15 reviews)

"Leverage experience/talent of employees"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Began working 7 months and then 10 months with summers off; met some wonderful people and friends; pay for seasonal work was well rewarded

Cons

Once I was written up for suggesting to a supervisor an idea I had for a flyer she wrote. Note: she had just graduated with a B.S. in Education, where I had a B.S. in Business-emphasis Marketing, an Associate Degree in Marketing and had worked as a Marketing Coordinator for 7 years writing copy writing for a catalog and writing advertising pieces and newsletters. At my review, she brought up that I had gone to her making a suggestion of change to the flyer she wrote. I just kept quite and signed the review knowing from past experience one is not allowed to disagree with a supervisor and survive long term at this company without dire consequences.

Advice to Management

Take suggestions from others without feeling threatened or superior to them. Treat those you manage as equals with respect and they will "perform" to make you "look" good.

"Inside Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

Pros

Insurance and benefits provided are adequate, 401K could be better. Hourly pay is adequate for some, fantastic for others. Some managers/supervisors are fantastic to work with. There ARE some good managers here but they don't stay long. Usually they're off to better places after a couple of years. Plenty of parking and clean office space. Most low-level employees have a real passion for getting quality materials into the hands of children. Many are retired/former educators. If you can handle constant chaos, this is the place for you.

Cons

Managers do not allow employees to converse with one another - ever. Pay is based more on what division is the current favorite of the corporate office. Constant, unorganized, change is rampant. Management does not communicate changes/expectations to employees in a timely manner. Poor follow-up on training leads to confusion and misunderstanding. Divisions often sell the same products and are in competition with one another, yet management will tell you it doesn't cause problems in generating sales for your division. Commission structure makes it nearly impossible to reach your goals. Frequent negative "you're not doing enough" emails come from management. Questions or issues surrounding changes in procedures are dismissed or not addressed in a timely manner. Upper management puts excessive amounts of work on the middle and lower level managers, who in turn put the blame for all the company short-comings on the shoulders of the employees at the bottom of the food chain. Work area is small (cubicles) and computers are slow and out of date.

Advice to Management

Give your employees credit for their intelligence. Talking down to them does not ear their respect. When the employees come to you time and again with the same complaint, address it. Ignoring problems does NOT make them go away.

"Company really starting to move forward!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, family oriented atmosphere, just received a $21,000/year raise. Making improvements to office environment and replacing worn supplies and materials.

Cons

Still working through some management changes and restructuring of current divisions. Perhaps a better policy for corporate concerns and information sharing.

Advice to Management

Take more marketing advice from the inside sales staff. We have a wealth of knowledge to be tapped!

"Nepotism at its finest"

Former Contractor - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL
    Former Contractor - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Scholastic as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Scholastic brand revokes childhood memories and has a good percentage of name recognition yet failing to adapt to newer technology

Cons

Dictator management and super top heavy with unprofessional management. Management is uneducated and lacks basic human resource ability & needs overhaul

Advice to Management

Employees work hard and are paid poverty wages. Sales are over goal yet no one receives commission

"Scholastic is a great company. However, the St. Charles off is more of telemarketing call center."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, wonder coworkers, contest every month.

Cons

They are more concerned with the number of dials you made then the quality of phone call. They are very strict about leaving your desk. The days are long and boring because all you do is make outgoing phone calls. They constantly monitor your calls. You are not even allowed to talk to your coworkers.

Advice to Management

Give your salespeople some control over their customers. People (especially teachers) prefer to email. They do not like the telemarketing techniques that Scholastic utilizes.

"Absolutely awful work environment at St. Charles office."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked here for over 4 years. Decent benefits, but even those got worse as time went on. Nice co-workers. Wonderful customers and products.

Cons

Nepotism, micromanagement, and unprofessionalism reign here. It is the most ridiculous work environment I have ever had the displeasure of working in. Management and floor supervisors are all close friends, yet none of them have any business managing people. None of them are educated or trained in management. High producers are transferred or fired at the drop of a hat because of a myriad of ridiculous excuses. Sales goals are often not released until AFTER the month has passed. HR is zero help and doesn't keep regular hours. (Plus the ONE HR person here is close personal friends with all of management and supervisors meaning the employee is NEVER right, even when following their employee handbook to the letter.) Employees are frequently harassed for using the restroom or getting up from their desks for any reason. So many shady dealings here, it's difficult to even list them all!

Advice to Management

Clean house and get rid of all of the nasty, unqualified excuses for managers/supervisors who run the St. Charles office. This place is a lawsuit waiting to happen!

"Could of been so much better in St. Charles!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Benefits are the top positive to this company, the employees for the most part are a pleasure to work with and the flexible schedule is nice. They do offer a variety of contests which was nice.

Cons

I wish I had more positives to say. Know what you are getting into. There is NO room for advancement, raises are little to none with capped commission in most positions. 400% to monthly quota, you make the same as 110%. They monitor and watch you like a hawk.

Advice to Management

Give your employees some space and trust that they will get the job done. Rethink your calling guidelines! Should you feel the need to monitor calls don't have a former HR person do it with zero understanding of the products or the customer base. Give your employees a need to sell above 110% in a mom and you will see your sales increase!

"Invaluable industry knowledge with limited advancement opportunities."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scholastic offers the absolute best in classroom core curriculum, supplements, collections and paperback titles. They are progressive in offering new technology for students and teachers and will remain a trusted, well known name in the industry to educators and administrators worldwide!

Decent working hours. Very competitive, affordable benefits. Awesome PTO, sick and vacation benefits!

Cons

Capped commission as an ISR, no matter how high your monthly and annual goals are exceeded. Sales reps are HEAVILY micro-managed. Lack of respect and nepotism is shown throughout the office by most management and too much time and energy is focused on unimportant issues that will never improve the organization of the office overall.

Advice to Management

Loosen up and trust the knowledge and ability of your sales team. Practice what you preach and show more mutual respect from one adult to another... your talented sales staff are not children. Many of them have grandchildren and should never be belittled or talked down to as I've often seen.

"A complete waste of my time"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to share quality products with wonderful customers. I also had the pleasure of making some wonderful friends.

Cons

As a teacher, I expected Scholastic to be an extension of what I had done in teaching - a place where I could use my education and experience to make a difference. WRONG! I was treated like a child, scolded or yelled at, pushed to do more, more, more. Management is incredibly disrespectful and rude to employees and there is no recourse because HR is best friends with the VP. The place is rife with nepotism - jobs being created for family of management while hard-working employees were laid off or even fired. I was constantly on edge, never knowing when or what I'd be reprimanded for. When I did make my goal (and far beyond), the management refused to pay me commission, spending more than 3 months finding a loophole that they could use. After going to HR in NY to get my earned commission, I was harrassed constantly by my manager - she even called me out for daring to speak up. I have never felt so under-appreciated, under-utilized, and small! I could not get out of there fast enough!

Advice to Management

To top management: get smart and promote some managers who can actually manage! Put people in place who will support the reps. Don't hire friends and family who are not qualified for their positions. Stop micro-managing EVERYTHING and let intelligent people use their skills to your benefit.
    To team managers: Try using positive reinforcement - it will get you so much farther with your reps. Don't see everything as a challenge to your authority - instead support your reps and let them make you look good! Focus on actually doing your job instead of visiting with the other managers.