Scholastic Reviews | Glassdoor

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson
Dick Robinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Cannot wait for upper management to motivate (in 42 reviews)

• company doesn't care much about its "freelance" employees (they have you on full-time mon-fri 9-5 but take very little care of these employees) (in 14 reviews)

"Upper Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is an onsite health center

Cons

hyper political, lacks process, efficiency, modern structure and transparency

"Horrible culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time

Pros

benefits, fellow employees, product-I do not have additional pros but 5 words are required.

Cons

Culture is horrendous, fear based, old school, stressful, absolutely no room for any creativity or free thinking, no socializing to anyone anytime, management changes goals and bonus structure at anytime with no discussion and or explanation and they are not attainable, absolutely no loyalty to the health and well being of employees even for tenured employees. Every employee is considered disposable and is treated like a robot. Management even monitors how long your bathroom breaks are and if they feel excessive will dock your pay for a break. If I could rate the managmet and culture with t a negative scale I would.

Advice to Management

change everything and get into the 21st century. The Tyrant mentality of management will cause the facility to fail

"Senior Analyst"

I worked at Scholastic full-time

Pros

flexible hours and within drivable distance from home.

Cons

not a right culture fit for me.

Advice to Management

Please hire professionals with college degree to do work on IT business applications.

"Current employee"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great books and some pretty good programs

Cons

Upper management is disconnected from actual work. You have to know how to "manage up" as work isn't valued as much as brown nosing.
    No career development opportunities. Low pay and average benefits.

Advice to Management

Identify real talent and nurture them so you can retain them.

"Ruthless Executive Management & Dysfunctional Technical Department"

Former Employee - Manager In EScholastic in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager In EScholastic in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Scholastic brand is known worldwide, but especially in the United States, and it conjures warm images of familiarity and care via its many products. The benefits of working at Scholastic don't match the brand.

The books products and magazines are high quality.

The company does some very good community works.

Cons

Scholastic Technical Services (the corporate technical group) is dysfunctional at best and incompetent at worst; working with them is a constant struggle and an ineffective process.

Executive management comes off as ruthless in their approach to employees, with layoffs that are inexplicable and seem rather mind-bogglingly mismanaged. Executive management also is rather unconcerned with provable facts about core technical weaknesses.

The company culture is cold and morale is low.

Advice to Management

Executive management won't take advice, and seems to be rather isolated in their ivory tower on Broadway. That being said, it would be advisable for them to ask for meetings with subject matter experts and invite feedback about the processes, systems, policies, and interdepartmental dynamics at the company. I offered, for example, to provide hard data and to debrief with the CEO in order to demonstrate the need for a different approach to the company's website and serve as evidence that Scholastic Technical Services was hiding their website mistakes and problems, but I never even got a response to my email. This was approached in a spirit of fairness and helpfulness, but the effect was no change, which does not bode well for a robust, successful future for the company's web presence. The company will continue to be regard for its brand-associated products, but management should live up to its public image by (a) seeing employees as persons with feelings and not just rows in a spreadsheet that can be eliminated at any whim, especially during thriving times at the company, (b) innovating and prioritizing improvements on the website/tech side based on data provided to you by those outside of the tech/analytics group in order to get a fresh, independent sense of what is going on and not the biased story that STS wants to present to you, and (c) making Scholastic a place to work that is as special and remarkable and magical as the products that you sell.

6. "Unless your a felon that can't find any other place that will hire you RUN!"

Former Contractor - WMS/Packaging in Jefferson City, MO
    Former Contractor - WMS/Packaging in Jefferson City, MO

I worked at Scholastic as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The only reason someone should be stupid enough to work at this s#&!? hole is because they are a felon and Scholastic will give you job when nobody else will.

Cons

The whole place sucks from the management all the way to the bathrooms. The work is nothing but doing the same thing over and over and over. Hour after never ending hour. You get two 15 minute breaks a shift regardless of if your working an 8 hour shift or 10. Thirty minute lunch break. No supervisors know how to do a job because regardless of how your working it's wrong and once you change hire your doing something another supervisor comes along and tells you another way to be doing it and the price goes around and around and you never do it right or end up back doing it the way you were doing it before anyone changed the way to do something. But to doesn't last long before your told your wrong again and to do it another way. The worse place I've ever worked in my life!!!

Advice to Management

Admit your an idiot and you don't deserve your job and stop acting as if your actually respected or feared by any of the lemming's that have to be there or are too stupid to find a better place to work.

"Don't look behind the curtain"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounted books.
    Noble Mission.
    Work/Life Balance
    Decent Maternity leave

Cons

This is the most chaotic company I've ever worked for. MOST of the employees are temps, turnover is high, people don't seem to enjoy their jobs. My first week I noticed a weird hostile tension on the team, this is because nobody trusts team members to do their job. Management is clueless, I've probably had a total of 5 minute of face time with my manager since I've started (10 Months Ago). Unless you're desperate save yourself the headache and work elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Sell the company.

"Horrible, Horrible, Horrible"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Descent hours. That's about it

Cons

Micromanaged to the second by someone who has zero of a marketing background.
    You will go 10 years back in your career - don't do it.
    Hired without clear definition of role; no on boarding, no conversations with manager, zero direction.
    This has been the most horrific place Ive ever worked at.
    Management has zero clue about marketing.

Advice to Management

Hire seasoned professionals with marketing back ground.

"Executive assistant"

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall mission is good.

Cons

Management is incompetent and unethical in particular divisions. As an EA, I was due overtime pay - and told I should not report my hours correctly because there was "no room in the budget." Over 2+ years I allowed this to happen because I was scared to speak up - my own fault. Management in my particular division was unethical and incompetent.

"A disaster of a company"

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is genuine and inspirational. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Puzzlingly bad management. Since most of the higher-ups are former teachers, promotion is based on seniority rather than ability and/or competence. Plagued with egos and power plays. Divisions are highly siloed and refuse to work together. The benefits keep getting worse.

Advice to Management

Retire. Bring in a consulting company to clean house in upper management.