Scholastic "full time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Scholastic Employee Reviews about "full time"

Updated 23 Oct 2019

Scholastic CEO Dick Robinson
Dick Robinson
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management seemed misguided and the industry of physical children’s books is fading(in 62 reviews)

• "About 70% of the staff were temps, so don't expect to move up to full-time(in 29 reviews)

Reviews about "full time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "2nd Shift Warehouse Associate"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Scholastic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive wage, production numbers are easy to attain, warehouse supervisors easily accommodate your work schedule availability, staff is there to provide assistance if needed, get paid for holidays if you are normally scheduled to work that day, receive huge discounts on Scholastic books and items, if you are a steady and reliable worker management will call you back to work next year.

Cons

Warehouse is not air conditioned, most part time help is seasonal based on the opening of schools, little opportunity for advancement, no health insurance unless you are a full time or permanent part time position,

Scholastic2017-07-11

"Don't work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people here are exceptionally friendly.

Cons

Employees are treated like parts in a machine, probably because just about everyone here is a temp. There are few full-time company employees.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people badly.

Scholastic2019-10-23

"The truth about working at ~Scholastics"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

One friendly employee and that you can put ~scholastic on your resume.

Cons

Let me start off by saying that when you get interview, that’s when you find out you’ll be a temp and even though the promise in a year you’ll be full-time, it’s bs. They have temps without paid vacation, sick days, and benefits for years. The offices are cold and no one speaks to you. I use to walk past a group of grown mean girls (literally twice my age) everyday and not once did they ever say a word to me. It’s... a miserable work environment and I can’t think of a reason anyone would stay long-term.

Advice to Management

Learn how to budget so you aren’t constantly laying off people at 4:45pm on a Friday.

Scholastic2019-03-20

"One of the worst experiences"

Former Contractor - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic for less than a year

Pros

My peers were great, I developed great relationships with other employees.

Cons

You're in constant fear of losing your job, everyone in the office felt the exact same way outside of maybe 3 employees. Upper management was all over the place and couldn't keep track of what was going on. About 70% of the staff were temps, so don't expect to move up to full-time. I saw them fire people with no notice on several occasions because new management didn't like their personalities. I honestly can't say... enough bad things about how this company is run. I constantly had to keep track of every move I made because my boss started to blame her mistakes on me to other people so I kept written documentation of everything which got in the way of me being able to do my job.

Scholastic2019-03-13

"Don't!"

I worked at Scholastic full-time

Pros

There's a five word minimum here but I have nothing nice to say.

Cons

Just a really unhealthy organization that will make you unhealthy. Avoid at all costs. Read the other reviews of full time employees (I don't have anything new to say).

Scholastic2018-10-24

"Professional Services Division"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

Scholastic has a great reputation among teachers for quality children's books and materials. This allows the Professional Services Division to get their foot in the door in many cases.

Cons

This little-known division of Scholastic has the mission of supporting products through professional development services for teachers and administrators. While this is worthy goal, the way that it is managed leaves much to be desired. Most "employees" are actually paid on a contracted basis, with very few full-time positions. This is becoming more common in the PD world and would not be a problem if handled with... integrity. Instead of hiring best-qualified, the leaders of this division have decided to hire those who are either desperate for the paltry $350 a day or those who are already employed full-time by a school district. In the later case, teachers under contract by a district have been asked to "call in sick" from their regular teaching jobs to provide a day or two of training when demand is high. There are always teachers who need to supplement their income, but supporting teachers who lie to their districts is unfathomable, especially from a company who professes to have the best interest of teachers and students in mind. There are highly qualified people on the Scholastic Professional Services team who are passed over on jobs for teachers "with recent classroom experience". How would administrators who hire Scholastic feel if they knew that the "recent experience" was the prior day in a classroom where the teacher should be every day.

Advice to Management

Clean house AGAIN.

Scholastic2018-02-21

"Unfair and biased treatment for contractors in STS."

Former Contractor - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Flexible timings 2. Scope to work on latest technologies 3. Fully Agile environment.

Cons

1. Contractors/consultants has no value at all in management's views and treated very cheaply when compared to employees and restricted in accessing systems, no training( not even internal/team level), can't attend any Hackathons, X-mas parties. 2. Managers/leads fires people just like that with no-reason and bring in their own people. 3. No standard policies and policies changes for person-person. 4. No... full-time opportunities for contractors and never considered at all. 5. Use and throw policy for contractors, never considered for full-time at all doesn't matter how skilled you are, how many years you run their systems and serve for company but they will somebody in that role. 6. Qualified contractors never considered to hire for full-time roles, company always try to fill that role with less qualified outside people if they just don't required any visa sponsorship. 7. No H1b hiring/support but people on H1 should work for them as a contractors forever. 8. all amenities were cut including coffee, you need to buy your own coffee at work. 9. Few people at top level make policies and applies it on employees with out listening to employees concerns at ground level.

Advice to Management

1. Treat contractors fairly and give them an opportunity to be part of the organization for at least people who are working for you since long time (several years) with lot of dedication, commitment and would like to be part of organization. 2. Listen to contractors concerns and give them chance to part of the organization because contractors are also contributing to organization growth same as full-timers. 3.... Don't just use and throw people just because you moved onto new technology when you give a chance they can learn that technology and contribute as someone else that you bring in. 4. Have a concern about employees and their families who dedicated their life for organization growth and realize that with out their hard work, commitment and dedication you won't be here where you are today. 5. Don't just fire people by showing some stupid reasons or for ego problems or just someone doesn't like their language, nationality, etc. 6. Support contractors needs like sponsoring visa or issuing visa letters as your organization is running on with lot's of contractors hard work and commitment. 7. Create a platform to raise internal issues/concerns of the employees. 8. Listen to employees concerns and then make policies to improve organization culture.

Scholastic2017-11-30

"Fulltime freelancer"

Former Contractor - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic for more than a year

Pros

Great family-feel to the atmosphere

Cons

Illegal to have full-time freelancers on site. Wanted to be employee, denied "to keep head count down"

Scholastic2017-08-30

"Great work/life Balance, VERY few opportunites for growth."

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great People - Easy Hours - Positive Attitude - Fun Content

Cons

- Below market pay - Poor Benefits - Very limited opportunity for advancement. In the three years I have been full-time I have seen almost the entire marketing staff turn over because of this problem.

Advice to Management

Become more comfortable with change and support smart people when they are eager to advance the company along with their careers.

Scholastic2017-05-26
  10. "fun place to get your foot in the door"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

- surrounded by children's books - fun work environment - great work/life balance

Cons

- upper management needs some younger, fresher eyes - company doesn't care much about its "freelance" employees (they have you on full-time mon-fri 9-5 but take very little care of these employees) - not a lot of opportunities for upward mobility - unless you're a favorite

Advice to Management

get in touch with your employees and listen to what they're saying. i hear a lot of disappointment with how things are and nothing ever seems to change

Scholastic2017-01-06