Scholastic "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Scholastic Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Aug 4, 2019

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson
Dick Robinson
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management seemed misguided and the industry of physical children’s books is fading(in 62 reviews)

• "About 70% of the staff were temps, so don't expect to move up to full-time(in 29 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Enjoyable"

I worked at Scholastic for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule with great maternity leave, good-hearted people and a trusted and valued name synonymous with educators.

Cons

Did not have value in work life balance for employees. Upper management would email at all hours making it difficult to keep up with daily internal correspondence.

Scholastic2016-06-30
  2. "Respectable employer with decent benefits"

I worked at Scholastic

Pros

Lot of different opportunities and room for growth. Decent benefits.

Scholastic2019-08-04

"Always moving the goal line"

Current Employee - Book Fair Sales Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great coworkers - 401k matching - great mission

Cons

Expectations and goals are always out of line with reality. Upper management keeps raising goals when it’s unobtainable. Changing commission structure where we do not get paid for the work we do is unethical and infuriating. Too many meetings that do not result in anything. I would not recommend working here if you like to earn money.

Advice to Management

Please understand that we employees have a need to make money. Adjusting the comp plan and cutting territories is NOT a way to grow. Sure, paying employees less probably adds more to the bottom line, but it’s not helping your employee satisfaction. It definitely isn’t making us want to work harder. Please switch your focus to putting your employees first.

Scholastic2019-07-20

"Want it to be better than it is...."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can be mission driven, work hours are good and flexible for families, get to work with some great people

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, lack of flexibility with management, upper management (corporate level) lacks vision and is reactive rather than proactive. Work load is excessive for the pay and office environment can be toxic at times.

Advice to Management

Be open to feedback from customers and those who are actually working with them.

Scholastic2019-07-07

"Great People, Disconnected Upper Managment"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Roselle, IL

I worked at Scholastic part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and atmosphere. Lots of events for employee appreciation. Decent workload.

Cons

Upper management kept making decision that directly impacted our work. These decisions were made without our knowledge and without any consultation with us.

Advice to Management

Work with your employees.

Scholastic2019-06-30

"Care of employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethel, CT

I have been working at Scholastic part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not to many pros has no problem laying of employees

Cons

Upper management has no idea how to run a wearhouse worry about money. Over employee

Advice to Management

Take care of employees

Scholastic2019-03-13

"One of the worst experiences"

Former Contractor - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic for less than a year

Pros

My peers were great, I developed great relationships with other employees.

Cons

You're in constant fear of losing your job, everyone in the office felt the exact same way outside of maybe 3 employees. Upper management was all over the place and couldn't keep track of what was going on. About 70% of the staff were temps, so don't expect to move up to full-time. I saw them fire people with no notice on several occasions because new management didn't like their personalities. I honestly can't say... enough bad things about how this company is run. I constantly had to keep track of every move I made because my boss started to blame her mistakes on me to other people so I kept written documentation of everything which got in the way of me being able to do my job.

Scholastic2019-03-13
  8. "IT department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people to work with. Good work life balance

Cons

IT upper management seems to have different agenda then the user community

Scholastic2018-10-26

"Tons of Potential - No Follow Up"

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'd like to start the review with positives, because that's how Glassdoor forces me to do it anyway. I was an associate software developer at Scholastic for nearly a year there and I can say it had a lot of promise but ended up being such a terrible dud. Pros: - Work/Life balance: No one really cares much, ended up working from home often. If you value little work, you can get away with it. I tried my best to... keep busy, but even then I'd have a ton of downtime. - Other developers were generally nice and there to help. - Make you believe that things would move towards a tech driven company

Cons

Cons...where do I begin. - Salary: Abysmal. Way below average for NYC developers. They tried to give us "quarterly reviews" to string us along for better salaries...but why should I way 2 years to get paid properly? - Poor usage of developers: So much young talent, so little exploration in technologies. Very old practices that have died out, refusal to look at anything new. People get too comfortable there and... progress is hindered. - Career roadmap: They expect you to have a maximum of 2 years before you go from associate to regular software developer. 2 years is too long to be an associate. I saw a few very competent developers get milked for a cheaper price because of this 2 year thing. - Management: I had lost 2 managers within 3 months of each other. One was a little too hands on with me, which is fine, but the other barely ever spoke to me and gave me no direction. I was without a manager for a couple of more months, with a lot of nothing to do, before I left. - Location: We were moved from a nice Midtown office to some warehouse in nowheresville Hudson Yards. Undoubtedly this was to save money, fine, but the warehouse was ugly and going to it every day made me feel like a robot. The place was all white and had no interior design at all. Commuting there was hell, as no trains were nearby. No food nearby, just some cafeteria downstairs. When we got there, upper management promised that they'd leverage their Scholastic IP and connections to really brighten up the place, add color and life to it...nope. 10 months later (including up until today, where I asked former employees) and still nothing. The engineers were sent to this warehouse, meanwhile the others are in the nice, very very roomy, Soho office. Yup...go figure. - Layoffs: Some random day, upper management had just decided to lay off a ton of employees. Very random, cut within a moment. Meanwhile, they have a ton of upper management who do nothing and none of them were cut (probably got raises as well). We lost a lot of developers within an instant. They didn't get a nice two week notice. Really made it easy to hand in my sub-2 week notice later on. This led to MANY other developers leaving because of fear of job security, putting a ton of pressure on those who stayed. -Product owners: Terrible people. During agile sprint planning they would CONSISTENTLY try and nudge developers to lower points on tickets to get as much tickets in as they can to maximize velocity. It was gross and totally against agile. - Offshore developers: Yeah, maintaining a 3 million line codebase where you see a lot of if(true) is not fun. We have way too many offshore devs, and the entire old codebase was made by them, so good luck trying to add a simple feature. This techstack is old and gross, to their benefit the developers were trying to move forward but they never got enough time to do it. It never got there. - Broken promises: CTO claimed to be going tech-centric in our first large meeting, completely backpedaled from that and told us they were going to be business oriented again. This led to the misuse of developers. A lot of fake talk about "we want you guys to explore technologies" but never giving us the time, hackathons, or anything to really go outside the bounds of a feature. Unless you were creating a new service, you had to play by old rules. And even with new services many times you were at the mercy of changing your technologies to work with the old systems because they couldn't give time to update theirs. I came to realize they didn't care about their developers much, the cared about upper management and metrics a ton more. Bad salary, bad coding practices, bad people, just overall a bad time. The only fun you can get is ragging on the company with the other associates and getting excited for them when they decide to actually progress their career. The atmosphere there was gloom towards the end, no one actually wanted to be there unless they were in a prominent position.

Advice to Management

Stop lying, start keeping those promises you made months ago. Offer what people are worth. Leverage the talent you have properly. There is a ton of hidden talent there that is being underutilized or utilized in the wrong way. Developers aren't cattle and aren't meant to be seen as so replaceable, that's how you start to quickly lose your developers. This company will lose more developers, I'm hoping that becomes... a wake up call to management when they do. and without some changes at the top will lose their spot in this world real quick.

Scholastic2018-09-27

"Multiple Jobs Within a Short Amount of Time"

Former Employee - Depends On What Month IT Was in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Scholastic full-time for less than a year

Pros

People in my dept 2 months summer vacation

Cons

Little to no direction from upper management. I had my position/job changed 3 times within less than 1 year, never fully utilizing the skills and experience I have that they highlighted when they hired me. Blame all changes/decisions on corporate and act like they have no say in the matter. Little to no training involved other than "self-study," which means to read a bunch of books Scholastic sells and hope you... retain any information when speaking with customers. Also please update your CRM, the stone age called they want it back.

Advice to Management

Grow some backbone to corporate, utilize employees skills where needed and stop rushing to hasty changes/decisions that make no sense.

Scholastic2017-10-25