School District of Osceola County, FL Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Grego

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, stress from unrealistic demands of teachers and staff by management and higher ups, lack of professionalism (in 3 reviews)

• The majority of the work and responsibilities fall on the executive members (in 2 reviews)

1. "The school is great, District needs some work."

Current Employee - ESE Teacher in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - ESE Teacher in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at School District of Osceola County, FL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summers and school vacations off, making a difference for kids, working in Florida, supplement for working with special education students

Cons

Long hours during the school year, testing, lots of turnover leaving those who stay to pick up the pieces, little district-level support when needed, expensive to add certifications when required because of a forced change in teaching status

2. "20 years of teaching!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Kissimmee, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Kissimmee, FL

I worked at School District of Osceola County, FL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady job, opportunity to move around the district, making a difference in childrens' lives.

Cons

Advice to Management

Make effort to retain experienced effective teachers.

3. "Computer Tech - Underpaid & Overworked"

Current Employee - Computer Technician in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at School District of Osceola County, FL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and flexible schedule. Holidays and weekends off. Work independently.

Cons

Greatly underpaid for the amount of work and responsibilities you have assigned to you. No overtime pay. They take advantage of you and assign you duties not related to your position.

Advice to Management

Provide a much better pay including overtime. Respect the hard work we put in and pay us what we deserve.

4. "Over worked, under paid"

Current Employee - Computer Technician in Kissimmee, FL

Pros

I am my own boss in a sense. I decide what to do and how to get it done.

Cons

I get paid for 37.5 hrs but often put in 50+ hrs. I am hourly but after 37.5 hrs I am a volunteer. No real way to move up. The job I do is more than a computer tech 1.

Advice to Management

Get more help or pay for the hour that people really work.

5. "Math Teacher"

Current Employee - High School Math Teacher in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - High School Math Teacher in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at School District of Osceola County, FL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rewarding experience working with students.

Cons

Too much paperwork and low pay scale

Advice to Management

Give more opportunity to teach

"Horrible district"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Kissimmee, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Kissimmee, FL

I worked at School District of Osceola County, FL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other teachers in the building are caring for students

Cons

Very poor pay, long hours for peanut pay, the district just doesn't care about education of its students or teachers. They will not let teachers do anything except use the textbook. The insurance stinks, the working conditions are bad, the district doesn't trust anyone because the are afraid to get sued. You get what you deserve, teachers that come in and leave on time each day because they don't care either.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers more than the one percent you are offering and give them better options. You may get and keep better teachers.

7. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at School District of Osceola County, FL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Good work environment.

Cons

None so far. It has been good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Substitue Teacher and Mental Health Counselor"

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at School District of Osceola County, FL part-time

Pros

I have a BS in Human Service , M.ED Master's in Education and School Counseling I have may Certifications for state of FLA for Guidance and counseling and substitute, I; am a Registered Mental Health Counselor Intern. I have the ability and capacity to continue to work and the area that most need today. while providing substitute service for students in the school system, to totally understanding what the needs of the of the student are. 2. part-time provide services individual ,group and family counseling to clients who been diagnostic with Mental Disorder at home, school and community setting. .

Cons

would like to work as a counselor in any school district as I have in the pass, but being able to provide real life counseling with just focusing on testing and just assessment. I would like the District to allow Guidance counselor to be able to do more group, individual, and education assessment and behavior therapy. Jobs 2; not giving enough clients, taking to long for family in need to get the help, taking to long to pay therapist in order for them to be able to live, so they can do the best job to help and serve individual who are in need of service .

Advice to Management

Apparently today 2015 things have change the new generation (some of them) have no respect, for authority, Police ,Teacher , school staff, family ,parents or even deaf. this time if is a high young people with depression, ADHD, sexual ,physical, emotional abuse.AT this time if is imperative to get individual that understand the need of all population; an issue with crisis and trauma that is effecting our school, home and community . Diversity is very important with team work, respect and accountability. Most people in this field don't get the accolades they deserve of the appreciation for there service. more experience is well need, with allow people who work in this to be able to make a fair living. This will help people who work in this career with morale, confidence ,enthusiasms to empower clients to change their behaviors with focusing on healing there life. .

9. "Technology Technician"

Current Employee - Computer/Network Technician in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Computer/Network Technician in Orlando, FL

Pros

Excellent group of like minded individuals serving one purpose, which is generating excellence in students, teachers and staff.

Cons

Hiring practiced leave a bit to be desired, especially showing favoritism for job positions over experience. Not a lot of room for advancement unless someone leaves their position.

"Substitute"

Former Employee - Subsitute in Saint Cloud, FL
    Former Employee - Subsitute in Saint Cloud, FL

Pros

Nothing is positive in the schools anymore

Cons

Everything is negative all the time!

Advice to Management

Fix the system!