School Zone Reviews | Glassdoor

Jonathan Hoffman
  1. "International Sales"

Current Employee - International & School Sales in Grand Haven, MI

I have been working at School Zone full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I love being part of a family business! We have many employees that have been here over 15 years. You don't find that happening much anymore. I've seen our work community come together to help each other in times of great need. The owners have provided year-end bonus's and extra perks along the way that seem to always come at the most appropriate times. I feel my contributions and input are welcome and considered.

Cons

I live 35 miles from work so it can be a difficult trip in the winter weather of MI. In the past it was hard to work out flexibility to make needed appointments back in GR work with my hours. School Zone has made strides in providing more flexibility!

Advice to Management

Communication on a more regular bases could be improved to share in the excitement and challenges of the company.

School Zone2017-12-29
  2. "Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at School Zone full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved Joan, the owner/founder of the company. She's so smart and she made me feel valued as an employee. The systems we had in place for designing and proofing books were great.

Cons

Not enough to do. Also, being laid off was not fun. I hardly ever met with supervisors... maybe one formal meeting throughout the year I worked here. I would have loved more open communication, but on the other hand, I knew things weren't going well financially. And oh gosh, the rumors I heard about Jonathan. Super unnerving to work for someone like him.

Advice to Management

I definitely feel like some of the talent could have been more wisely repurposed. As mentioned earlier, I never had enough work to do, but I had skills in other areas where I could have been a huge help. Don't pigeonhole employees! It could greatly increase productivity.

School Zone2016-03-30
  3. "lot of changes"

Current Employee - Michigan in Grand Haven, MI

I have been working at School Zone full-time

Pros

the owners really do care

Cons

business is up and down. we are in the book business, and the volume has gone down, then up again. So there is uncertainty.

Advice to Management

they should talk to their employees more so they have some warning on ups and downs.

School Zone2015-12-07
  4. "Upper management and gross underpay prevents it from being great..."

Former Employee - Interactive Department in Grand Haven, MI

I worked at School Zone full-time

Pros

Hard working employees who are good at what they do. Work stays in the office. Overtime is a rarity. Everyone is friendly and professional. Mostly stress free. Management is mostly hands off although this causes a disconnect between them and everyone else. Overall it's usually a fun environment and people take pride in doing good work as a team.

Cons

Most positions are paid at entry level or less. No incentive to work hard. The CEO uses the office as a gallery for his ever growing art collection while delivering empty promises about pay increases. Promotions are very very extremely rare and each position is a dead end that rarely if ever changes. Time allocation, communication, and planning by upper management are terrible resulting in far too many projects waiting...

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they deserve. Hire the people necessary to allow everyone to properly do their jobs. Set an example for your employees by working normal hours instead of coming in an hour or two late and leaving an hour or two early.

School Zone2015-01-26
  5. "Most secure job ever."

I have been working at School Zone

Pros

It's easy, fun, and contains tremendous upside.

Cons

Pay doesn't equal out to time put into company.

School Zone2014-01-21