Schoology Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Jeremy Friedman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Best company I've worked for hands down"

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Super friendly and open culture
    - You work with amazing clients
    - A product and a mission that actually has an impact
    - Lots of support from management and an eagerness to develop talent
    -Fair compensation/Benefits
    -Great PTO policy

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I've been having a wonderful time here

Mar 23, 2018 – VP, Team Development

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on working at Schoology! And while there might not be any "cons" that you can think of (which is awesome!), if you do have any suggestions or ideas to make... More

"Get Schoologized!"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist
    Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having been with this company for four years now, I've really had a great opportunity to watch the organization take shape, and become what it is today.

- A really talented, dedicated team. Everyone genuinely cares about making a difference in education
    - The opportunity to work with educators across the country on a daily basis
    - The collaborative nature of improving workflow processes
    - Frequent team and company activities
    - Leadership takes an interest in your professional growth. Four years ago, I'd started out on a Support team of six, advanced to a senior position on that team, eventually to become a Client Support Engineer. Finally, I moved onto an client onboarding and implementation role, which has been nothing short of wonderful.

Cons

- Given the cyclical nature of working in education, it'd be great if process changes better coincided with times when there was less going on.

"Great Company, Great People, Never Leaving!"

Current Employee - Senior Professional Development Specialist in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Professional Development Specialist in Canton, OH

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best. We are here to make a positive impact on education.

I had more than 15 years in public education when I joined a start-up, it was a leap of faith and one I would gladly do again! Why?
    - Education is always changing and our platform is growing and changing with our clients needs
    - Product enhancements clearly communicated and presented to our clients
    - Partnering with other amazing products to help us improve our client experience
    - Opportunities to meet with Executive Team
    - Opportunities to express your thoughts and ideas
    - Hackathon - have a great idea? Present it! Ideas get implemented.
    - Flexible work hours
    - Open PTO
    - Work remotely, I love my home office

In addition to my 15 years of education experience, I also have more than 10 years business experience. I understand that a new company is going to undergo many changes and fluctuations in employment numbers. You have to wait out the changes, dedicate yourself to your job and make your positive contribution.

Cons

Be ready for change! We assess, modify, grow and change, and sometimes very quickly. Hold on for the ride!

Advice to Management

So many things have changed in my 4 years with Schoology. Working at a start-up was something I only saw in pictures! But then I walked through the doors at Schoology and felt like I was home.

I want to applaud the co-founders for bringing in people "with experience." Knowing when to look for employees that have years of business experience is a sign of wanting success for your company. You have to rely on other's knowledge to grow your own.

The changes that have occurred in my 4 years are leaps and bounds beyond what I imagined. The growth and change has been excellent and expertly guided.

May 17, 2018 – VP, Team Development

It certainly has been a ride! And we have no doubt it will continue, so you are absolutely right that being ready for and accepting change is a key to success at Schoology. Thank you for sharing... More

"Good product below average company"

I worked at Schoology full-time

Pros

Good product, easy to use

Cons

Bad management, high turnover, no real vision, crowded with competitors

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees otherwise they’ll just stop talking

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Schoology full-time

Pros

- open minded management
    - competitive salary
    - very good health insurance
    - snacks
    - a very positive work environment

Cons

- Getting too bureaucratic
    - No bonus

Mar 15, 2018 – VP, Team Development

We're glad you enjoy the environment here at Schoology and appreciate your sharing your thoughts. As we grow, more structure, policies and procedures have been required to be put into place so that... More

"Disappointing"

I worked at Schoology full-time

Pros

Stocked refrigerator, Pool table, Software that helps teachers and student learn

Cons

Disorganized, immature and inexperienced leadership, no transparency, hasty decision making, high turnover, lack of loyalty to employees, including a massive lay-off before Christmas and an overall general fear of being the next to be let go

Advice to Management

Get it together.

"IT'S A TRAP!! Good people, Beware!!"

I worked at Schoology full-time

Pros

Many absolutely wonderful people have worked for Schoology. It takes a little while before even the smartest people will figure out what is really going on here. Honestly, I'd give a ~2-3 star review if it weren't for the greater need to offset the misplaced and effusive shilling.

Cons

At first, Schoology does seem (as a positive review put it) "dreamy". This is an understandable first impression. The pay is fair (unless you're an "intern"/temp in which case I've been told--by multiple such folks--that the pay is literally poverty level and I've seen them delay hiring on many highly-talented people for a laughably long time beyond the point of having proven themselves). They are always *saying* that they are always interested in improving and they do have best-practices enforcement and many smart people working for them.

The culture of talking about how great Schoology is is highly encouraged. In fact, literally within my first week at Schoology, I was actually asked to post a positive review here on glassdoor by HR. That was really fishy, but I shrugged it off and was too new to see the fuller picture yet.

Schoology goes to great lengths to ensure its PR is brightly polished: shiny and spotless. But it's far from sincere. Notice the replies to every single "con" on every review here on glassdoor... even the 5-star ones! My favorite part is when the CTO attempts to attribute a short average employment length to "hiring to fill net new positions," conveniently failing to mention the mass layoffs of ~20% of their employees (including many beloved high-value folks who'd been there for years), which happened just 8 months prior. How does one possibly euphemize such an act, and a culture of ruthless firing in general? In the CTO's own words:

"there are of course people who were here before and aren’t now."

xD I'm dying! xD That's literally all he says.

And let's not overlook that the fact that he also says zilch about having implemented literally ZERO of its employees' hackathon ideas. Nothing could be a better microcosm of Schoology: the corporation. Schoology truly does not care about any of its employees. At all. It only cares about itself: its bottom line, and its own public image. Ever wonder why they won't offer industry-standard matching 401k contributions, despite its tens of millions in funding? Or why they financially prioritized moving to a much-larger-than-necessary expensive corporate office in a prestigious neighborhood instead?

At least the many cracks in its facade are finally starting to show and people are catching on.

A word to the wise: if you're a benevolent well-intentioned person, steer clear. If, however, you're a cutthroat alpha bro/politician in search of the privilege to devote your life to serving a plastic corporation that will fire you in a heartbeat without blinking an eye, or perhaps you just enjoy watching good smart people getting strong-armed and blanked over on the regular, then Schoology may be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Be less evil. Try actually caring about other people (especially your own employees) for their own sake. If that's not possible, do more research about the fact that people who are thriving produce more and will make more money for you. It's not a zero sum game. Cracking a whip works on sled dogs. It's time to modernize your understanding of motivation techniques for thinking people and the effectiveness (or lack) thereof.

For example, vacations are actually good things, not something only slackers engage in. Updating your technology is a lot more important than you think. Actually asking your engineers occasionally which technologies they are most interested in learning/using and finding ways to give them opportunities to learn/use one or more of them might be a good thing to consider (think: more happiness = more productivity = more $ in your pocket). I could go on.

Also, reward the people with the greatest combination of skills and kindness. Nobody likes "jerks" (glassdoor won't allow the real word here), so don't promote them. Employees are not motivated to work for jerks, nor are they inspired to work at a company where being a ruthless jerk-with-a-smile is the #1 most rewarded quality.

Mar 14, 2018 – VP, Team Development

We appreciate your putting so much time and thought into your review. You raised a number of concerns that I would be happy to discuss with you offline, but the one that is most concerning is your... More

"When leadership isn't held accountable, this is what you get"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Schoology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks
    Central location in Manhattan
    Good product

Cons

I'll keep this short and sweet. As an individual contributor at any company, you want to feel that you are invested in as an employee and that your contribution goes beyond the dollar amount you bring to the company. At Schoology, regardless of your intellect, regardless of your contribution you bring to your direct team, you are disposable.

During my 2+ years here, I saw countless layoffs, yet no accountability on behalf of the leadership team. No retribution, no empathy––as long as optics were kept in tact.

You see that picture up at the top of this page? A good half of those people are no longer at Schoology.

Advice to Management

Proactively seek opportunities to fix Schoology culture.

"Best Product and Great Company"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been in the workforce for 20 years. I spent 4.5 years at Schoology and it was by far the best experience that I have had. Schoology is an awesome product with a very large community of happy and engaged users. The company has seen amazing growth since it started. The culture is fun and collaborative with a ton of smart people on the team. I am lucky to call many of them my friends.

Cons

Scaling is always a challenge and always involves a great deal of change. It isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

You are a mature enough company now and have all the talent you need on the existing team to learn from the past and make major decisions moving forward.

Oct 26, 2017 – VP, Team Development

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for all your contributions to Schoology.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Schoology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team, free FreshDirect

Cons

Poor leadership - no strategic vision for growth