83% would recommend to a friend
(63 total reviews)
89% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "After my first month and a half, I can say the people here are awesome." (in 9 reviews)
- "There is a real supportive atmosphere at Schoology and you feel like everyone is on the same team working together." (in 5 reviews)
- "I'm happy to report that Schoology is competitive in its family leave policies; that I have many colleagues with young families as well, and that overall I've found it to be a place that honors work/life balance." (in 4 reviews)
- "The office is great." (in 3 reviews)
- "Good benefits" (in 3 reviews)
Found 63 of over 67 reviews
Updated Oct 30, 2019
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Jan 15, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
Last Sunday, while hanging out with friends, several of them muttered "Ughh, I don't want to go to work tomorrow!" I thought about it, and I said to myself, "I'm actually looking forward to it." There is a real supportive atmosphere at Schoology and you feel like everyone is on the same team working together. Collaboration is key, and all team members are valued. They are flexible with working from home. In the office, a fully stocked kitchen for meals and snacks is provided. There are ample ways to take a mental break with games and other distractions of your choosing, and they have an unlimited paid-time-off policy. Bottom line: they really want you to be happy. Schoology is growing very quickly, and has brought in experienced talent in key position to guide them through this next exciting phase of growth, so I feel confident with the direction of the company. This growth provides incredible opportunity for meaningful career advancement. I recently moved into a new position, and rather than being interviewed to see if I was qualified, management was more concerned that this was a role that I wanted to be in and this was a path that I wanted to go down in my career. I was told "we want to provide everyone with opportunities to grow professionally in the way the they want to grow, not give them forced tracks that they have to go down." This was extremely refreshing to hear and is the perfect example of how Schoology is invested in its employees.
Quick growth means that workflows are frequently changing. Employees need to be flexible and open to challenges.1
- 4.0Oct 7, 2018Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
- Flexible work culture / strong work life balance if you are performing/hitting your goals (free food is also nice) - Schoology (the product) is a strong product that many teachers & students really do love - Established enough to have structure but young enough to still reap the benefits as far as relaxed culture and ability to have a voice both in your department and in your professional trajectory, also there's the option of wearing additional "hats" if you would like.
- Not quite a con, but beware, change will happen a lot, people will be imperfect, that doesn't mean it's an awful place - Some people are very driven and intelligent, others not so much. Hiring needs to improve. Same thing with managers, some are strong, some do not deserve to manage others, and this negatively impacts the company. - Claims to be a mission driven company when in reality many on staff have no interest in aligning to the mission or diving into the education space - At the end of the day, no matter what they say, everything is a business, and it all comes back to numbers and profitability.4
- 5.0Aug 14, 2019DirectorCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearBaltimore, MD
+Culture and commitment - Schoology wants to get it right for schools and school systems and they understand that doing that means getting it right for students, parents, teachers, and administrators + Employees - Smart folks who are open and welcoming to new team members, diverse ideas, and new information + Management is engaged in active dialogue with employees and staff which further supports the culture + Lots of perks AND WOW! What an amazing customer base - the true testament to the company is how the users of Schoology are avid fans and users - teachers and administrators are making the difference in the lives of students and with everyone moving in that direction, it is an exciting place to work!
I would hate to say it is perfect because no one would believe that, but I am struggling to write something here. Having come from a company where I would run out of space in this category, I just want to say that an interview with the folks who work here would confirm if this is the place for you.
- 1.0Jul 25, 2018Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 3 years
1) Fresh Direct in office for when you don't feel like leaving to get lunch 2) Unlimited cold brew along with other beverages 3) Office is big, but can also seem under-utilized at times (there were talks to lease out desk space to other companies, but it was never implemented) 4) Good work/life balance - flexible hours, 9 to 5 for the most part 5) Casual office attire
1) All departments exist in silos - marketing oddly doesn't talk to sales, who don't talk to engineering, who don't talk to customer success, etc. This lends itself to specific departmental cultures but then you don't get a real "company culture." 2) Product is at a stand-still. There has not been great product improvements for the past year. The "exclusive partnership" with PowerSchool is obviously failing, and the CEO just pretends it never existed. 3) There is a problem with employee turnover that never gets brought up - in fact, tough questions are shunned by management. 4) Every company meeting is about numbers, numbers, numbers, and not how we're helping stakeholders in a district. Sales gets all the limelight now that we have a deadline by management to reach profitability.13
- 5.0Jul 17, 2019Sales Enablement ManagerCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearNew York, NY
... and this place is better! All the standard start-up perks of course - stocked kitchen, cold brew coffee, beer on tap, pool table, cornhole, video and board games that people actually take advantage of, company gatherings, etc... Unlimited PTO and flexible work hours that are actually encouraged you take advantage of But what separates Schoology from the sea of tech start-ups in NYC is an Exec Team that genuinely cares about its people. They are all open and friendly and take any and all concerns seriously and proactively try to fix. They all care about your development while you are here and there are increasingly more professional development opportunities that simply do not exist for a company of this size anywhere else.
Since we are K-12 focused, we have a great deal of former educators that transition from the classroom to working here. While I think this is actually a tremendous pro, sometime the lack of start-up experience leads to a few pitfalls in understanding the rapid changing environment of a start-up... especially in sales.2
- 5.0Aug 30, 2015Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
I have worked with the company for a while and it's the best company that I have worked with. They treat the employees better than any company that I have been with. It's not a small thing to provide food and drinks everyday, it really saves me a lot of money that I would otherwise have to spend. It is an open office so everyone is treated the same, with no one having offices. It is such a fun and lively environment, where the employees really get along with each other. A lot is expected of the employees, but they give a lot in return.
It's hard to come up with a true con, but with all the growth going on there is a lot of shifting around going on. It can be a little distracting with moves happening all the time, sometimes I feel like why can't someone just walk a few desks down to speak to someone instead of moving several people just to have people next to each other?1
- 4.0Aug 22, 2018Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearNew York, NY
- Ability to WFH whenever - Snacks and drinks - Lots of opportunities to influence change because it's a small company with open-minded people. - Equity Options - Hardworking, kind folks - Unlimited Vacation
- A weird, unaddressed uptick in layoffs and firings. - No bonus or 401k matching - Growing pains with abrupt and sometimes disruptive changes - A lack of women (especially women of color) in higher leadership8
- 5.0Jul 5, 2017Senior Account ExecutvieCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearNew York, NY
Flexible hours if you do your job and get your work done Nice office in Penn Station central location in NYC The Product is just phenomenal Very comfortable management team to interact with Sales Manager is a great person to work with very smart and straight to the point, strategic thinker Snacks and kitchen are always filled with good food
Base salary could be more for employees there for a longer period of time, or health insurance fully paid for would make up for this Some of the people on the other teams can be difficult to connect with socially Account management team could have a bigger role in issues of non payment from a new client3
- 5.0Sep 17, 2014Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
This company has a true vision for empowering teachers and learners in a fun way. You feel as though you are part of something important. You have access to communicate with all levels of the organization. You have access to the product development process and it is very fun to see new features come to life (which is OFTEN at Schoology). Everyone here really cares about the company and what we are doing. The Schoology users are Super Fans and participate in a cult like following of this product. And that is the best part - to watch an excited educator showing you how they use Schoology with students, and how animated they are telling you about it. It does not get much better than that.
This company is experiencing exceptional growth and with that there are some growing pains (none that outweigh the fun). Process and policy are being created as growth is happening, and many times after. The pace of change is very fast; this is not necessarily a con, but a point to consider.1
Schoology Reviews FAQs
Schoology has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 67 reviews left anonymously by employees. 83% of employees would recommend working at Schoology to a friend and 75% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
83% of Schoology employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Schoology 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.