Schoology Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Schoology Co-Founder and CEO Jeremy Friedman
Jeremy Friedman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a good commission plan and great work life balance" (in 4 reviews)

• "Schoology offers a fun and flexible work environment: working hard is encouraged; playing hard is rewarded" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with abrupt and sometimes disruptive changes" (in 5 reviews)

• "High turnover led to taking on WAY more than your workload to cover for open positions for months and months at a time" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company I've worked for hands down"

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Super friendly and open culture
    - You work with amazing clients
    - A product and a mission that actually has an impact
    - Lots of support from management and an eagerness to develop talent
    -Fair compensation/Benefits
    -Great PTO policy

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I've been having a wonderful time here

Schoology Response

Mar 23, 2018 – VP, Team Development

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on working at Schoology! And while there might not be any "cons" that you can think of (which is awesome!), if you do have any suggestions or ideas to make... More

2. "Love this place"

I have been working at Schoology full-time

Pros

- Amazing Managers (I feel supported in my current role and am given valuable feedback that fosters growth)
    - Fantastic co-workers ( I've made some really great friends who I regularly hang out with outside of work)
    - Gratifying career with a strong company mission
    - Fun company culture (i.e company dodgeball league, frequent happy hours, and game/craft nights)
    - Most importantly, I feel that my ideas are valued and am supported in my career trajectory

Cons

The meeting rooms are currently a little bland so I personally would appreciate it very much if they were themed!!!

3. "Great Culture and Rapidly Growing"

I have been working at Schoology full-time

Pros

+ Wonderful group of people to work with
    + Excellent culture that encourages employees to work hard and play hard
    + Generous PTO policy ensures a great "work-life balance"
    + The company is constantly thinking about diversity and inclusion
    + Management is supportive of your growth
    + You feel like the impact of your work is recognized here
    + The Product itself is constantly improving, so it's exciting to be at Schoology during a time in which there is so much potential for growth and success

Cons

A younger company with rapid growth will naturally have some growing pains, but there are no real cons that outweigh the wonderful culture and experience at Schoology.

Advice to Management

Continue to heavily invest in the people and their experience. Happy employees will result in reaching our goals!

"Amazing team, product, and company"

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is great passion here, and so much opportunity to make a difference every single day. Having worked in K12, it matters to me that what we do is part of everyone’s passion. It is, and that makes this a great place to work.

Cons

Any cons that I’d cite are really just normal pains associated with growing as aggressively as this company is.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!!

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Schoology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love waking up and coming to work here. The people here are amazing, the perks are awesome from bagel Monday unlimited PTO, and there is SO much room for career growth and advancement. Best place i've worked at HANDS DOWN.

Cons

I legitimately can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Can we get a Schoology Puppy???

"Engineering"

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great mission
    - Great people
    - Great product

Schoology is a great place to work for. It is a company full of open minded people. From the leadership down to every team member. It is incredible how much Schoology has been changing, for better!

Cons

Nothing to say. I really can't think of anything that would add value here. Schoology is a good company and things are continuously getting better and better and better.

Advice to Management

Keep the great work. Continue to empower people. Continue to invest on people. Everything else becomes easy. :-)

"Happy overall, not without flaws"

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible work culture / strong work life balance if you are performing/hitting your goals (free food is also nice)
    - Schoology (the product) is a strong product that many teachers & students really do love
    - Established enough to have structure but young enough to still reap the benefits as far as relaxed culture and ability to have a voice both in your department and in your professional trajectory, also there's the option of wearing additional "hats" if you would like.

Cons

- Not quite a con, but beware, change will happen a lot, people will be imperfect, that doesn't mean it's an awful place
    - Some people are very driven and intelligent, others not so much. Hiring needs to improve. Same thing with managers, some are strong, some do not deserve to manage others, and this negatively impacts the company.
    - Claims to be a mission driven company when in reality many on staff have no interest in aligning to the mission or diving into the education space
    - At the end of the day, no matter what they say, everything is a business, and it all comes back to numbers and profitability.

Advice to Management

Hiring process should be more rigorous and more structured across departments. Some managers join with no management experience and make poor hiring choices. Transparency has gone down a bit, with managers withholding information from their teams and leadership sugarcoating failures.

"Overall good, lots of turnover in 2017 and 2018"

I worked at Schoology full-time

Pros

Awesome, smart, motivated, innovative co-workers, nice office space, good product, fair salary and good benefits.

Cons

High employee turnover, increasingly declining culture. High turnover led to taking on WAY more than your workload to cover for open positions for months and months at a time.
    Vague mission: "advance what's possible in education" ... the only thing leadership cared about was making more money

Advice to Management

Be transparent, care about your human capital, invest in your people's growth

"If you are stuck, ask more questions"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First in class product with an amazing mission. The community behind the product is inspiring and is constantly growing making your job more valuable and easier.

I have been with Schoology for over 3 years. I started out as an account executive and quickly moved up the ladder. Once I identified the role I wanted to move into, management helped me hit that goal. We structured a plan and how I would get to the next level. Long as you are upfront about your short term and long term goals, management will do everything in their power to help you excel. Even if you want to switch departments or impact the company in another way, management will help you get to your goal.

What I like most is the ability to communicate and collaborate across departments and executives. If you need help, ASK. I have never been turned down or looked down upon asking for help. In fact, the company and all of management encourage you to do so. Even fellow co-workers will drop what they are doing to help you or answer questions. I see people say “departments work in silo” Yes they do when you do not interact with them. If you are going to sit at your desk all day and keep your head down, everything will look like it works in silo. Management makes it a thing to ensure we have group lunches and or group meetings with other departments. Show initiative and things won't look so black and white.

If you have something to say such as product improvements, working more efficiently or just overall feedback, management and executives listen. I have seen several of my coworkers ideas or feedback put into action and implemented. They really try to make this a great place to work and grow.

The office is great. Cold brew on tap along with a full kitchen fully stocked with snacks, food, and drinks. Most people don't pay for lunch and eat here at Schoology. It is still encouraged to go out and get air so please don't take this as they want you to stay in the office 24/7. They provide unlimited PTO and have an open policy about working from home. All you need to do is loop in your manager.

The other reviews discuss layoffs and recent firings. I, unfortunately, cannot attest to this as I have not seen this in a mass scale RECENTLY. A few years ago we did go through a round of layoffs and good people were let go. Yes I was upset but I watched them restructure the teams and quickly rehire amazing, smart, witty people. I feel that any company you work for will go through times that you do not agree with or decisions that do not sit well with you. I have seen my previous companies go through similar ups and downs.

My desire to stay and continue to grow at Schoology is not because of the office or unlimited PTO (which I do appreciate). Yet it is the desire to learn from management and the executives. We have recently brought in some amazing people at the executive level with the vision to get Schoology to the next level. I have been here for a while, I went through the growing pains, restructuring and confusing times. Yet at this current moment, our vision has never been more clear. Our ability to succeed has never been more outlined. I love that I have the chance to see Schoology at its most powerful point and watch us get to the next level. As of today, I am a very happy employee of Schoology.

Cons

No matching 401K

I have seen this take effect in the last several months but we can continue to improve. Be more transparent with employees about performance.

The office environment is still fun but our outings decreased

Advice to Management

More team building events will bring team members together. This can also be beneficial for those who don't know each other in other departments.

"not without growing pains, but consistently getting better"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good vacation policy
    - kitchen has plenty of free snacks and drinks, and beer and cold brew
    - great mission and people
    - after years of bringing leaders in from the outside, it was nice to see 3 existing employees get promoted to executives
    - some executives were harder to approach than others, but over the past year the team has changed a lot and for the better
    - formalized career paths have recently been laid out
    - opportunity for promotion

Cons

- no 401k match
    - wish there were healthier snack options (too much candy in my opinion)
    - because we work with schools, parts of the year can get very busy and stressfull
    - while some of the team changes have been really good it can be hard for some people, like new employees or people early in their careers to know what to think of so much change
    - the growing pains have been tough for some employees since teams have been restructured numerous times.

Advice to Management

- be careful who gets hired. i have seen people come and go (or be fired). more often than not i hear comments about the person once they are gone. people are often surprised they were hired in the first place. when people here are happy to see someone go, it suggests we need to spend more time hiring the right people.

- it's hard to balance all the good with all the changes. i'm glad we have monthly company meetings and that numbers are shared with everyone. but maybe spend a few more minutes talking about changes when they are made so people understand why. it's hard to put together the fact that the numbers for the business are so good (everything is in green), yet there's still so much change and reorganization.

- keep on listening to your employees. many of the changes over the past year have been really positive (not all). i have loved working at schoology and hope to remain here for many years. the new president seems great. i hope i get to spend more time getting to know him. it was refreshing to see we hired someone who had a lot of education and technology experience.