Schoology Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Jeremy Friedman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are ample ways to take a mental break with games and other distractions of your choosing, and they have an unlimited paid-time-off policy" (in 3 reviews)

• "It's not a small thing to provide food and drinks everyday, it really saves me a lot of money that I would otherwise have to spend" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with abrupt and sometimes disruptive changes" (in 5 reviews)

• "Overall, a fast-paced environment with minor issues that will work themselves out in the next year or two" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best company I've worked for hands down"

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Super friendly and open culture
    - You work with amazing clients
    - A product and a mission that actually has an impact
    - Lots of support from management and an eagerness to develop talent
    -Fair compensation/Benefits
    -Great PTO policy

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I've been having a wonderful time here

Schoology Response

Mar 23, 2018 – VP, Team Development

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on working at Schoology! And while there might not be any "cons" that you can think of (which is awesome!), if you do have any suggestions or ideas to make... More

2. "If you are stuck, ask more questions"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First in class product with an amazing mission. The community behind the product is inspiring and is constantly growing making your job more valuable and easier.

I have been with Schoology for over 3 years. I started out as an account executive and quickly moved up the ladder. Once I identified the role I wanted to move into, management helped me hit that goal. We structured a plan and how I would get to the next level. Long as you are upfront about your short term and long term goals, management will do everything in their power to help you excel. Even if you want to switch departments or impact the company in another way, management will help you get to your goal.

What I like most is the ability to communicate and collaborate across departments and executives. If you need help, ASK. I have never been turned down or looked down upon asking for help. In fact, the company and all of management encourage you to do so. Even fellow co-workers will drop what they are doing to help you or answer questions. I see people say “departments work in silo” Yes they do when you do not interact with them. If you are going to sit at your desk all day and keep your head down, everything will look like it works in silo. Management makes it a thing to ensure we have group lunches and or group meetings with other departments. Show initiative and things won't look so black and white.

If you have something to say such as product improvements, working more efficiently or just overall feedback, management and executives listen. I have seen several of my coworkers ideas or feedback put into action and implemented. They really try to make this a great place to work and grow.

The office is great. Cold brew on tap along with a full kitchen fully stocked with snacks, food, and drinks. Most people don't pay for lunch and eat here at Schoology. It is still encouraged to go out and get air so please don't take this as they want you to stay in the office 24/7. They provide unlimited PTO and have an open policy about working from home. All you need to do is loop in your manager.

The other reviews discuss layoffs and recent firings. I, unfortunately, cannot attest to this as I have not seen this in a mass scale RECENTLY. A few years ago we did go through a round of layoffs and good people were let go. Yes I was upset but I watched them restructure the teams and quickly rehire amazing, smart, witty people. I feel that any company you work for will go through times that you do not agree with or decisions that do not sit well with you. I have seen my previous companies go through similar ups and downs.

My desire to stay and continue to grow at Schoology is not because of the office or unlimited PTO (which I do appreciate). Yet it is the desire to learn from management and the executives. We have recently brought in some amazing people at the executive level with the vision to get Schoology to the next level. I have been here for a while, I went through the growing pains, restructuring and confusing times. Yet at this current moment, our vision has never been more clear. Our ability to succeed has never been more outlined. I love that I have the chance to see Schoology at its most powerful point and watch us get to the next level. As of today, I am a very happy employee of Schoology.

Cons

No matching 401K

I have seen this take effect in the last several months but we can continue to improve. Be more transparent with employees about performance.

The office environment is still fun but our outings decreased

Advice to Management

More team building events will bring team members together. This can also be beneficial for those who don't know each other in other departments.

"It feels like we're at a tipping point... I'm not sure which way it's going to go."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Schoology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Ability to WFH whenever
    - Snacks and drinks
    - Lots of opportunities to influence change because it's a small company with open-minded people.
    - Equity Options
    - Hardworking, kind folks
    - Unlimited Vacation

Cons

- A weird, unaddressed uptick in layoffs and firings.
    - No bonus or 401k matching
    - Growing pains with abrupt and sometimes disruptive changes
    - A lack of women (especially women of color) in higher leadership

Advice to Management

I think things are going pretty well, but the recent firings and layoffs are worry-some. They also seem to be largely unaddressed - though I'm not sure what you would say. Losing a beloved, office staff member was really tough as far as trust and culture goes.

Diversity - keep pushing to be more inclusive and diverse. Set a goal for it and work towards that! We can do it if we make it a priority.

Consider more competitive compensation (bonus, 401k matching, etc)

"not without growing pains, but consistently getting better"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good vacation policy
    - kitchen has plenty of free snacks and drinks, and beer and cold brew
    - great mission and people
    - after years of bringing leaders in from the outside, it was nice to see 3 existing employees get promoted to executives
    - some executives were harder to approach than others, but over the past year the team has changed a lot and for the better
    - formalized career paths have recently been laid out
    - opportunity for promotion

Cons

- no 401k match
    - wish there were healthier snack options (too much candy in my opinion)
    - because we work with schools, parts of the year can get very busy and stressfull
    - while some of the team changes have been really good it can be hard for some people, like new employees or people early in their careers to know what to think of so much change
    - the growing pains have been tough for some employees since teams have been restructured numerous times.

Advice to Management

- be careful who gets hired. i have seen people come and go (or be fired). more often than not i hear comments about the person once they are gone. people are often surprised they were hired in the first place. when people here are happy to see someone go, it suggests we need to spend more time hiring the right people.

- it's hard to balance all the good with all the changes. i'm glad we have monthly company meetings and that numbers are shared with everyone. but maybe spend a few more minutes talking about changes when they are made so people understand why. it's hard to put together the fact that the numbers for the business are so good (everything is in green), yet there's still so much change and reorganization.

- keep on listening to your employees. many of the changes over the past year have been really positive (not all). i have loved working at schoology and hope to remain here for many years. the new president seems great. i hope i get to spend more time getting to know him. it was refreshing to see we hired someone who had a lot of education and technology experience.

"Flat Organization - Steep Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Schoology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company is growing fast and folks have real opportunities for advancement.
    -Everyone has access to executives as the company is run flat
    - Fresh Direct
    -Bagel Monday
    -Weekly Staff Lunch
    -Unlimited Cold Brew Coffee
    -Smart talented driven people who are focused on the mission

Cons

-Fast paced environment not for everyone
    -No 401k match

6. "Great Company"

Pros

Friendly Staff that love where they work

Cons

Lack of incentive for some employees

"Culture In Decline"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Schoology full-time

Pros

A fantastic product; it makes the Sales Teams jobs a little easier when they can genuinely believe in what they are selling. Sales management is pretty solid at this point. We also have a really great support network for our clients.

The benefits are OK, cold brew and beer on tap, fresh direct and catered lunches every month, health care policy isn't bad, time off policy is decent, but not having a 401 match is a big problem and, there are no stock options.

Cons

We have officially gone corporate, expect to be seeing a lot more khaki pants.

The culture is depressing (the pool table and scooters aren't fooling anyone) There have been some really questionable decisions made over the last few months. New leadership clearly doesn't value HR. We used to have a healthy buzz of activity around the office, now teams barely interact.

There are some very unpleasant, disingenuous people who are widely disliked in pseudo management roles whose only achievement has creating an environment more akin to high school than Schoology.

Turn over is getting out of hand. We are seeing good team members getting fired and people are leaving in droves.
    Poor cross-departmental communication.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First in class product and easy sell to K-12 districts, and the mission behind the product is invaluable. Great job if you just graduated or looking for an entry level sales job. Free fresh direct, beer, drinks, snacks, etc and unlimited PTO.

Cons

I joined the company back in 2015 when it was a true start-up: smaller office, great culture. As expected, the company grew drastically, and with that the office was moved to 2 Penn and from there the culture changed for the worse. Not only very corporate, but the departments because super silo'ed and there was no more collaboration in between departments. I ultimately left because there is truly no room for growth (at least in sales).

"Talk About Toxic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Schoology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are still some genuinely great people working here.
    I still believe in the product.
    Fresh direct
    Flexible time off policy

Cons

This once fun and inclusive company has gone downhill fast. Petty and toxic “managers” making terrible decisions to the detriment of the company’s culture. Massive turnover and it feels like people are getting fired every day, there is massive dissatisfaction across all teams as a result. We sit in a truly miserable office space, half the desks lay unused.
    No 401k match

Whatever you do don't mention the power school partnership.

Advice to Management

Please stop ignoring our questions and dismissing our opinions. Don't let your company become a soulless cesspool.

Schoology Response

Aug 22, 2018 – CFO

Thank you for your feedback. We value all of our employees and feedback, and we are confident we can regain your support!

You have expressed a number of concerns, and we would appreciate an... More

"All About the Money"

I worked at Schoology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Fresh Direct in office for when you don't feel like leaving to get lunch
    2) Unlimited cold brew along with other beverages
    3) Office is big, but can also seem under-utilized at times (there were talks to lease out desk space to other companies, but it was never implemented)
    4) Good work/life balance - flexible hours, 9 to 5 for the most part
    5) Casual office attire

Cons

1) All departments exist in silos - marketing oddly doesn't talk to sales, who don't talk to engineering, who don't talk to customer success, etc. This lends itself to specific departmental cultures but then you don't get a real "company culture."
    2) Product is at a stand-still. There has not been great product improvements for the past year. The "exclusive partnership" with PowerSchool is obviously failing, and the CEO just pretends it never existed.
    3) There is a problem with employee turnover that never gets brought up - in fact, tough questions are shunned by management.
    4) Every company meeting is about numbers, numbers, numbers, and not how we're helping stakeholders in a district. Sales gets all the limelight now that we have a deadline by management to reach profitability.

Advice to Management

This was a company headed in the right direction that took a wrong turn. I would ask that you make it about the teachers and administrators and not about the money.