SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Bill Cheney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and the company cares about the employees (in 10 reviews)

• If you bleed Member Service then this is the place to work for (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This really is a great place to work (in 3 reviews)

• There are no cons to working at Schoolsfirst that I can think of to report here (in 3 reviews)

1. "Schools First Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver/Customer Service Representative in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver/Customer Service Representative in Tustin, CA

I worked at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Company to work for. Great Benefits, Growth Opportunity, and good leadership.

Cons

Call Center Job, can become very overwhelming.

2. "One of the more organized employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Out of all the employers I worked at this is by far one of the better ones. More organized, communicates well, and excellent core value.

People here are ultra friendly and the environment reflects the core value. The Members and Team Members comes first before profit. That is very rare these days.

Tons of employee motivation tools put in place and many growth opportunities if know how to leverage your skills. Team work here is the core focus.
    Awesome benefits and freebies.

Cons

The base compensation is very low. You need to leverage your skills and negociate in advance or you will get the lower pay scale. However they are willing to pay top dollars if you can prove your worth.

Some upper managers here are bit non responsive at getting things done. This creates delays in projects.

There are lots of "handholding" in your work. People here don't like to learn it.

The company is expanding fast and thus lots of work and turnover in employees.

Getting a job here as outsider is near impossible unless you got several excellent internal referral and unique skills.

3. "Manager"

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership walks the values talk and, overall, the company sincerely cares about its employees.

Cons

There are no cons to working at Schoolsfirst that I can think of to report here.

"Love it here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Focused on the Member and team-member not on the numbers. Senior leaders do what is right not what makes the most money.

If you want to work someplace that is making a difference in the lives of others this is the place to be.

Wonderful benefits including a great 401 k match.

Cons

Need to put in your time and prove yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the right thing.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

Schools First is a great place to work and has some of the most generous benefits packages for employees offered in California. The atmosphere is very positive with a focused mission of "Member Service" where everyone works together to provide world-class service to all members. Team members have respect for one another and work together cohesively and cooperatively in all areas. We support each other.

Cons

no cons come to mind.

6. "Good and fun place to work"

Pros

Great benefits and the company cares about the employees

Cons

Moving up in the company

7. "Strong company culture but weak leadership...at times"

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great benefits, fair pay, good working environment, friendly people.

Cons

Slow adoption of new technologies, huge technical debt in legacy systems and IT small budgets.

Advice to Management

Infuse IT with the money it really needs, add more personnel and require all information-related projects get IT approval before going forward.

8. "Loan Servicing Specialist and Administration"

Current Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We works as a team and they treat their employees top notch

Cons

It's very hard to move to another position within the department because we are still a small bank

"We no longer practice the one-team philosophy."

Current Employee - Frontline
    Current Employee - Frontline

I have been working at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The sky is the limit with service standards. If its the right thing to do we are supported and do it.

Cons

Ineffective, lazy, lack training, abuse of authority amongst managers and above. The buzz word is "engaged." Managers and above need a reality check, start working and stop assuming that you know what AM and below needs. Management team makes decisions based on how they look, not the Member experience. I don't know the last time a manager of branches and mcc owned a situation. Rather then investigating branch and mcc mgmt service issues the mgmt moves hard tasks to other departments so talk times are lower in mcc and branches expect back office to own complex Member situations.

Advice to Management

We have a great organization but we need leaders. The current leadership either doesn't know the abuse of authority manager's do on a daily basis or you don't care. I still believe we have some good ones that champion change and who knows our #1 priority is Member Service...not their bonus.

"SchoolsFirst"

Former Employee - MSR IV in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - MSR IV in Irvine, CA

I worked at SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Perks, Good amount of PTO

Cons

Discrimination to the max, Politics to move up, HR doesn't help you.