Schoolwires Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "SE"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Best place to work in SC

Cons

None was Cons. Please

2. "Quality Leadership, poor communication"

Pros

Quality People
    Great Products and Services
    Internal Promotion Opportunities
    Competitive Pay and Benefits
    Talented Executives and Management

Cons

Bad at communicating changes to employees

Advice to Management

Share whats happening with your team and listen for their feedback

3. "Territory Sales Manager"

I worked at Schoolwires full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and people to work with and for. Great product and support lead to great confidence to sell their solutions.

Cons

Recently acquired by Blackboard. Uncertainty as to the ability to maintain the culture that made Schoolwires great.

4. "A few things to work out, other a great environment to work in"

Pros

Family Oriented, Positive Company Outlook. Time off policy is flexible and fair.

Cons

Benefits could be better, management seems too timid to address issues at times. Lots of employees seem to have useless titles that mean nothing.

Advice to Management

Listen to your lower level employees. Seems like there is also a lack of communication among upper management as well.

5. "This is a great place to start a career and learn from people with a broad range of experiences."

I worked at Schoolwires full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really had control over what I wanted to do within my realm. The company encouraged and paid for my training and certification. I worked with a lot of really good people and learned a lot. I found some life-long mentors. This company is very concerned with being just and ethical.

Cons

I managed a niche process almost entirely by myself, which often required nights, weekends, and holidays but didn't get paid a very good salary. It took many years to work my way up to a decent salary and title; however, no level of evidence was adequate to convince management to hire a backup/trainee for my position that would allow me to take time off over winter holidays (the busiest season). It became clear that I had reached my peak here, there was no more to learn, and there was no indication that my career would continue to progress here.

Advice to Management

It seems that decisions are often made on the fly without all of the information. While it seems clear that management wants to be fair and just, you should listen more to the people on the ground who do the work every day to inform your decisions.

6. "Great job, decent environment"

Pros

It was a good job with a decent team. The team dynamics are a little hazy at times, but work well overall. Friendly coworkers all aimed to help the clients and develop a world class product.

Cons

Some people seem to have been at the company since the beginning and could get away with more than they ought to be able.

7. "disappointing experience"

I worked at Schoolwires full-time (More than a year)

Pros

smaller software company trying to execute on some good ideas
    k-12 space

Cons

very political
    k-12 space
    certain management needs training on anger management and emotional intelligence
    strange and inconsistent methods of moving people around, demoting-them, promoting-them, within in very short-periods of time etc. almost like management and HR were experimenting or I missed the research that concluded iterating through your employees' titles within a short-time frame resulted in a more-effective organization. or perhaps shifts in political power and emotional-state of decision-makers determined what happened with lower-level employees, because it certainly did not result in happier or more effective employees while I was there.

8. "A great, family-oriented place to work with a great culture, work/life balance, and flexibility."

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Schoolwires is a growing company offering products that directly affect the community and education industry. It is a great place to work as they promote a healthy life/work balance, flexible time-off, and are very family oriented. Compensation and career advancement opportunities are really good for the area, and management does a good job of recognizing hard work. The people at Schoolwires are amazing to work with and take great pride in their work. The culture is really great!

Cons

The market is always changing, so you have to be able to adapt to changes in priorities quickly. The company is expanding and growing so quick that office space is becoming tight and limited. A bigger office space is desperately needed.

Advice to Management

Make sure employees are in positions that best utilize their skill set.

9. "A good company that is getting better and better"

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is still growing, which means there are always new opportunities opening up and they often promote from within. A good work-life balance is encouraged and modeled by management. Over the past few years I have seen a lot of positive improvements in terms of strategy both with products and the direction of the company. This is a company that started out very small, grew very fast, and is now more stable so they are catching up in terms of organizational structure and culture. There are things that could have been done better but the biggest pro is that everyone is very invested in the company. Even though we are a tech company, our clients are educators and our users are teachers, parents and students. Our success means the success of the next generation which makes everything we do worthwhile and there is a feeling of that in the company culture.

Cons

In the past there have been some inequalities in terms of pay scale and resource management. However, I feel that these things are being righted and I have noticed a lot of positive reinforcement and fairness in terms of benefits and recognition lately. My biggest con is that the company is in two buildings and the space is not evenly distributed. I would like to see them invest in their future by finding a better space where this small company can all be together while we're still small enough to do so.

Advice to Management

Culture is the most important part of a company's health and success. I would like to see more effort and communication around a set of simple values that could guide organizational decisions and direction.

10. "Excellent Place to Work"

I have been working at Schoolwires full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Schoolwires is a family-friendly company and offers the opportunity for a healthy work-life balance. The talent is top-notch in many departments and most employees have a very positive outlook. Flexible hours and time off is a big plus, along with health/dental/life/accident/and many other benefits available. There are many opportunities for advancement and the higher-ups do a good job of recognizing a job well done. Employees generally take great pride in being part of the Schoolwires family.

Cons

It's not always clear who is in charge of what so many people want to make decisions regarding one issue and nothing actually gets decided. When a decision is made, it might not always be the best due to the correct person(s) not being involved.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to where new resources are added and where they aren't vs where they are actually needed. Client-facing employees are not always more important than the folks behind the scenes.