Schreiber Foods Reviews in Ogden, UT | Glassdoor

Schreiber Foods CEO and Director Mike Haddad
Mike Haddad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Frequent changes can effect your daily tasks and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Physical strain from factory work, long hours on your feet (in 8 reviews)

1. "Production"

Former Employee - Production Operator in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Logan, UT

Pros

They paid really well, benefits were good, and the retirement plan was the best I have had.

Cons

The scheduling was kind of a nightmare, you didn't know from one day to the next what your schedule was.

Advice to Management

Try to get the schedule worked out if possible aside form that I enjoyed my time at Schreiber Foods.

2. "great company"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Logan, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

competitive pay. great benefits including 401k match, and bonuses.

Cons

sometimes management doesn't take into account what the employees think.

Advice to Management

listen to the employees.

3. "Operations Intern"

Current Intern - Operations Intern in Logan, UT
    Current Intern - Operations Intern in Logan, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a great on-boarding process. Leadership has an open door policy and are more than helpful when it comes to helping you achieve a successful internship. They want to see you succeed and give you the knowledge, skills, and abilities to do so.

Cons

Like many internships, the benefits are limited to the amount of hours you work.

Advice to Management

Set a certain time of the week to follow-up with interns.

4. "Production"

Current Employee - Production Worker in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Logan, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tons of overtime if you want it

Cons

Tons of overtime, even if you don't want it

5. "Forklift driver"

Former Employee - Designer in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Designer in Logan, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work companies really strives to take care of their employees. Quarterly incentives can be really good. Enjoyed the time I spent their!

Cons

some leaders can be real turds but I guess that happens anywhere you go. Some times the hours can be long and there is such a thing as MANDATORY overtime!

Advice to Management

Put more input and implementation in what your employees are telling you! Remember it's them that's doing the job not you!

"I had a fairly positive experience as a Team Advisor."

Former Employee - Production Team Advisor in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Production Team Advisor in Logan, UT

Pros

Do to what seems to be, in my opinion, a high attrition rate, advancement opportunities were abundant. All you have to do is be decent at your job and stick around for about 2-3 years before being promoted. It was also fairly easy to move laterally within the company. You got discounted cheese at the weekly sales. HR checks on your development about once/month. There are "overtime" opportunities for Team Advisors. Great 401k match if you stick around for 3 years (so you are vested).

Cons

401k contributions do not kick in until you have been at the company for 3 years. Schreiber matches your contributions until the 3 year mark with company stock, but you don't get it in your account, so you miss out on compounded growth. Salary is not competitive at all, but HR will try to sell you a "Total Compensation" value that takes into account the value of your other benefits. You will be shown a graph showing stock price over time with substantial growth. A great deal of that growth in valuation of the company is due to a change in the consultant firm Schreiber uses to value the company. It's obvious on the graph which year that change occurred.

With the exception of Schreiber's headquarters in Green Bay, all other domestic facilities were about 1.5 hours away from a major metropolitan area. This is of importance if you are used to a more urban environment. I wouldn't say Schreiber is a diverse company; most of the leadership is white and male. If you start as a Team Advisor (production manager) you must start working on an off-shift (graveyard or late evening). You cannot work a normal 9-5 shift until you are promoted to interim or full-time Team Leader (department manager). Also, in order to be successful and stay atop of your duties you must expect to put in 10 hours/day. Lunches are short if you're in management, as problems that arise on the floor quickly require your attention.

Schreiber puts new employees into a development program. This program consists of a binder with tasks you must complete in order to advance to certain levels. There is very limited formal training, and those training events are open to all salaried employees, so I wouldn't say it is specifically for the program. On the whole you are in charge of your development.

The "overtime" is a sum that is earned for every 8 hour shift a Team Advisor works on the weekend. You should expect to work at least 4 weekends out of a quarter. If you value your weekend time and choose not to play ball you will have trouble with advancement. I've heard of Team Advisors that were terminated or quit before quarter-end you forfeit this money and are not paid for your time.

Advice to Management

Frequent changes to the Operations Incentive Plan (sort of like profit sharing) have led to confusion and disillusionment on the production floor. It seems the OIP doesn't reflect real plant financials, and employees feel they are being deprived of the bonuses they earned. More attention needs to be placed on safety and training. Employees voices should carry more weight when they share their safety concerns.

7. "Thanks for paying for my degree then not hiring me"

Former Employee - Utility in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Utility in Logan, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay and always expanding

Cons

Very political and cut throat a lot of management back stab you

Advice to Management

If you are going to pay for someone to get a management degree why don't you try hiring them as a manager

8. "Overall a good place to work"

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Smithfield, UT
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Smithfield, UT

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I considered the pay-rate to be good. There were consistent shift hours and often times overtime was available. They also gave us a discount on the product, which was significant. HR was great, and felt they cared about my needs. I enjoyed some of my coworkers.

Cons

There seemed to be a lot of gossiping and a few threatening co-workers. The commute to the plant is long, but they have a good parking lot. The smell of the plant. Cheese stinks.

9. "Schreiber culture is excellent"

Current Employee - Process Owner Casting Packaging in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Process Owner Casting Packaging in Logan, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay and partner driven governing system. I appreciate the practice of seniority.

Cons

Benefits and bonuses have only gotten worse over the last 7 years.

Advice to Management

Please reconsider policy on advancement opportunities for partners that do not have a college degree. Your missing out on a lot of potential.

10. "Great Company that looks after its employees."

Current Employee - Partner in Smithfield, UT
    Current Employee - Partner in Smithfield, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place, good people, company looks after its employees. Benefits are great, and they do a good job of informing partners of impact on benefits, OIP, 401K, and many other aspects of the company, as well as the state in this economy.

Cons

None thus far have had a great experience here.