Schwan's CSM Reviews | Glassdoor

Schwan's CSM Reviews

Updated Dec 14, 2016

1.0
Schwan's Chief Executive Officer Dimitrios Smyrnios (no image)
Dimitrios Smyrnios
1 Rating

"Great Opportunity"

CSM

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

I spent 20 years as a professional food buyer as well as in management. I always said, if I ever went into sales, it would have to be with products that I had used & believed in. Schwan's was one of those companies. When I made a career change, I went with Schwan's. I enjoy the challenge & meeting people. I like addressing a customer's needs, whether it is a business or a residence. The product-line has great quality that I can be proud of. I can honestly say I haven't met anyone, within the tiers of corporate management, who failed to be supportive of employees ... know their job, offer advice,etc. The company continues to thrive, because it has a good foundation for its employees to build on. I am moving up and I love my job!

Cons

The job demands long hours, but this is true with any company if you are working sales/marketing (especially in the food industry). However, a lot of jobs demand long hours, weekends and/or holidays. If you don't believe me, ask a nurse, a cop, EMS, firemen, a chef, etc. It helps to keep things in perspective.

Schwan's2011-06-27

"RSR"

Current Employee - CSM in Pampa, TX

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers are the pro's for this job, you get to meet people you never would have otherwise. 80% of my customer base are good friends. This, makes it very easy to ensure they buy each time! I, talk to them and tell them the specials and sales, easy to tell them about on-line specials. I, personally took pre-orders at the door and would send these in to my mgr. (before it was banned).!! If, I missed a customer... I, would call them!!! I, Knew them! they expected my call. I, would not just say, "Do you need anything this week"?. I, would let them know I was going to be there at such/such time, and let them know to have their order ready. They, would always, always order!

Cons

Top mgmt!! They took away: Me sending in a phone pre-order!..It, takes an act of congress to have a customer removed..(They in upper mgmt. think I have no clue!! If a customer is buying, I am there!! If, they no longer want our service, I am not there!! Simple!! Why, would I ever not service a customer who wants to buy??). Marketing has taken over the company......It has led to our being in our current position(High turn over, losing customers).. Our great, loyal customers hate turn-over at the RSR level. They just quit buying!! It, takes months to win them back over! But,...once we do...mgmt. comes up with (3.99, win-back for bad customers not good customers, but ones who are hard to find at home or no-longer want our service!) Our, good customers find out they are not getting the best sales...they are mad!! Again, top mgmt. makes a direction...we, as rsr's have to fix all the crap they have created!! OH! , top mgmt. likes to say " We are doing this in an effort to reduce your work hours"! Heck, I have so much junk to explain to each of my customers, my day expanded!!! The number one thing that irks me the most!!! DO NOT BE AT THE DEPOT BEFORE 8PM!!!! BS!!!!! I, could run my route, make any necessary call backs, sell 1500.00$ and be done for the day. They, want us to build at 6;00pm?? Pitch dark now!! I'm, not doing it!!! OH! mgmt.. sets the schedule you have to follow each day!!! I, have group stops that require me to be there at 1:00pm...not 1:00ish!!! Our route manifest does not take in any way any special considerations as to customer service time (but we are held accountable for the service time!). This, probable sounds crazed...it is!! Add in the old outdated equipment, undependable fleet, top mgmt. screwing up (and covering it up by adding more crap for our RSR to do list), this job now stinks. You, do as you are told! You are not successful, you are replaced. Marketing, is justifying there jobs by putting non-buying, no-longer living, moved accounts on the routes...They say "Well, if they were not home...How do you have a disposition??, SOB....They died, moved, house blown-in during a tornado!!! Upper mgmt has a different approach...a few of them (very few) have been out in the field. In, the old days, if a customer was no longer interested..remove them and move on!! Now, marketing puts them back on the route to waste your time!!!

Advice to Management

'Start making some sense already!!! How many stupid people do you have working for you at the TOP / Middle / Depot level??? I, am tired of fixing your problems you have created!! Do you think giving a 1 time free delivery is working??? It is not!!!

Schwan's2016-12-14

"Always hiring tells you all you need to know!"

Former Employee - CSM in Reno, NV

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is decent plus commission, if you are able to reach that level of sales. Occasional chance to sample the product to help with the ability to sell the product.

Cons

Long hours, no compensation for meals when working out of town, and if you are injured on the job they will do all they can to force you out the door.

Advice to Management

Stop making the employees stay out until 9 pm. As a customer, no one wants someone at their house that late.

Schwan's2013-07-17

"A Truly Pathetic Company!"

Former Employee - CSM in Cumming, GA

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers where mostly great to work with as well as my fellow CSRs. A lot of the food items where pretty good with some exceptions of course.

Cons

Severely micromanaged and overtly mismanaged all around; upper Management blatantly lied in regards to ANY promotion opportunities in the company be it for worker promotion or benefits, route development and building (yeah, we never saw ANY company route builders in my time with Schwan's regardless of the constant teasing from management that we would get teams in our depot), bonus', rewards, and contest programs (all a JOKE), and etc. We NEVER received what was promoted and promised to us despite our working our butts off and meeting the ever changing demographics that the Management would constantly change like water running through an open tap! Good luck using any Medical benefits as the company will fight to pay them despite an injury on company time due to outside influences (one of our drivers was hit head on by an oncoming car in his lane on a curve --- he survived only because he was in one of the older model GMC Topkick trucks) or by the companies poor choice and upkeep/ maintenance of equipment (these Isuzu [GMC/Chevy] cabovers are JUNK ---- we even had one of the NEW models break the front leaf spring shackles while the driver was traveling on a straight highway)! Hours expected from management is at minimum 60 a week but most of our CSM's put in 72 a week. There is NO PAY FOR HOLIDAYS AT ALL; you WILL BE REQUIRED TO MAKE UP ANY LOST ROUTE TIME DUE TO HOLIDAYS OFF!!! You WILL NOT get ANY sick days off; you WILL BE REQUIRED to make up all lost time REGARDLESS of reason at your own time by working Saturdays and Sundays, period! You will use and pay for your own personal phone....a LOT (better invest in the unlimited plans); do not expect ANY reimbursement from the company for your minutes used for COMPANY TIME which will be extensive since the management constantly calls and harasses for any trivial information! Do expect to be worked to the bone, unappreciated, talked down to, and threatened for your job daily! Never expect to see your family or loved ones again; you will eat, sleep, and repeat Schwan's!

Advice to Management

Having experienced the, "Schwan's way of doing business", I can only agree with the MANY disgruntled reviews and reports stating that this companies management is in severe need of elimination; Schwan's sorely lacks in ethical and business sensed management! It needs a cleansing from the top executives down to (most) of the Depot management! But I dare say that Schwan's will never take the correct steps to thwart their continued spiral and inevitable demise (yes, Home Service is dying) as they simply are too dense to listen to their workers who actually MAKE THEM MONEY ----you know, your Route Sales Personnel!

Schwan's2013-07-14

"Overworked, Under Paid. Burnt Territories Abound"

Former Employee - CSM in Rockford, IL

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. They hire frequently 2. Commission to be had by all who earn it 3. Good group of personable characters working there

Cons

1. Weekly shifts in product focus. 2. Management not familiar with local demographics 3. 60-75 hour work weeks. The salary is a joke if your depot does not hit its sales metrics 4. Working every weekend if depot is tanking 5. Frequently peel off Builder customers to replace with lost customers on actual routes 6. Local ordinances preventing you from legally selling in all markets 7. It's D-2-D, not B-2-B.

Advice to Management

The rotating news at the door promos are a joke. Who wants or would even consider buying items that are out of season? It's one thing to release a new product and have it be pushed to gauge it's reception and plausible life cycle, it's entirely another to REQUIRE it to be sold in set quantities. Due to this requirement, all CSMs lean on legacy customers to buy additional to make up for all the shortfall.

Schwan's2013-04-17

"Tough"

Current Employee - CSM in Pampa, TX

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meet great customers/People 99% are friendly I consider great friends. Not just the buying customers, but the ones that do not buy often as well.

Cons

Too many hours to make great money, Unless you are comfortable badgering and begging for a sale. Too many rules for this type of sales environment (time windows, at location, customer serviced).

Advice to Management

Lose all the hard and fast rules (Time windows, at location) these are tools that should be used as guides, not based against our pay. We know our customers, when they are home we should be able to service them, or if they are at an alternate location we should be able to service them. These issues occur more the the allotted pct. they allow. Also, practice what you preach...When they want it , where they want it, and include what they want (quit with the discontinue items lists, make them seasonal perhaps? Most of my customer signed up for internet ordering receive way too many emails from marketing..there words not mine.

Schwan's2012-06-30

"Simply a Terrible Place to Work"

CSM in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Decent benefits and it's a paycheck FOR NOW.

Cons

The pay structure just changed to a heavy commission base, usually wouldn't be bad except that the first tier is 1%, next to nothing+50.00 for showing up and if your lucky enough to hit your time windows you may get an additional 50.00. Some current CSM's (route drivers) are making 38,000 per year salary. When the new pay scale is implemented, these same CSM's(route drivers) will have to sell $1,100.00 per day to maintain their current salary. Problem is most routes in the company do not currently earn anywhere near that in sales. We are looking at a $6,000.00 pay reduction per year. Now if your a CSM and mandated to work Saturday you will only make 50.00 plus commission!!! Ask any driver that is a CSM making 38k salary what they are going to do when the new pay gets here. That's right, we are job searching already and our customers will face yet another new route driver, great way to lose business. We can't even take a part time job to offset our losses because we don't have time working from 9am-9pm and later on quite a few days. Schwan's be prepared to start a huge roll-over in employees and you are going to start losing customers again- can you afford this?

Advice to Management

Buy a CLUE! Leave the pay structure alone or make it better not worse! The people not assigned to routes will make more money than people who are. Forget the (Time Window) incentive and up the base scale so current drivers don't lose money. I have over doubled my routes sales from when I took it over and this is my reward!

Schwan's2011-03-12

"Retail sales is Better!! The hours are long, make up for holidays on weekends, no paid days off"

CSM in Whitehall, PA

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

Not much to say other than it was a job which started at $32500 and than $38000 if you became a csm. You get nice pair of boots for 1/2 the price and discounts on GM Auto products and you can get the patch to quit smoking.

Cons

Well your day starts at around 8am which you must come to the office and get your paperwork and computer, than get your old truck that the night crew is supposed to check nightly but doesn't, start it up back out and line up to go on your route. Head on your route and try upselling customers frozen food, if you can sell it is ok, but the hours are crazy, the boss expects you to work til 8pm even if you route was done at 6pm. I love how the boss is only there til 3pm and expects you to work til 8pm as he is sitting at home relaxing. the numbers you need to hit are off the wall, and Schwans doesn't help in anyway to help. Most nights you get in at 9 pm, than you must clean your trucks interior and lock it upthan head inside and do paperwork. By the time you head home it is 9:30-10pm. Now if it is a holiday like Thanksgiving, you have Thursday off but you must make up that day on Saturday. I don't know about you but most people have plenty of food the day after ThanksGiving that they don't want or need schwans coming. Don't work for them unless you never want to see your wife and kids again, or if you are single and have no life this would be great for you.

Advice to Management

Allow the employees to go home once their routes are done, make it more of a family company again. Give the csms days off at holidays and sick days without having to make up on their days off. Lower the quotas so that csm can hit them and feel good about themselves. Have the managers work everyday the same schedule as the CSM's work so that they can see how tiring it is. Also hire warehouse manager that don't sleep at their depots, and steal food off the CSM's truck nightly and blame the CSM of stealing. Lastly hire warehouse managers that care about their depot, this depots warehouse crew didn't care because you would spend all day sorting the truck, than doing it all over again daily because the warehouse crew would just throw it in any door to get the truck done.

Schwan's2010-09-13

"former"

CSM in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

relationships with customers working outside

Cons

wages havent kept up. removed almost all sales incentives . management out of touch with their front line employees

Advice to Management

it used to be a route managers sacrifices of a "normal" family life were rewarded with above average earning power and respect of the people in Marshall. both seem to have fallen by the wayside. what what was a very extroidinary company has now become very ordinary....how sad

Schwan's2010-07-09
  10. "Great for a select few, not for everyone"

CSM

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

Decent money, opportunity to make a lot more in the right circumstances and for the right personality type, great customers if you know how to deal with people. Fantastic food -- it sells itself. Great employee discount program.

Cons

Working hours are horrendous. No provision for time off for medical or personal needs. Absolutely no balance between work and family life: the job is your life.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people when the same issue comes up over and over again, and make changes. I know people come and go like a revolving door, but that doesn' t mean that those who stick around should be shown favoritism. Find *some* way of providing for more balance; that's the main reason you lose people.

Schwan's2010-05-29