Schwan's Customer Service Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Customer Service Manager

Create your profile to get personalized information

Schwan's Customer Service Manager Reviews

Updated Sep 18, 2016

1.3
Schwan's Chief Executive Officer Dimitrios Smyrnios (no image)
Dimitrios Smyrnios

"Not worth the effort"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Eugene, MO

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers! The relationships you develop with your customers are priceless. I gained a lot of life long friends from that venture.

Cons

They expect you to work every waking moment. I would literally only sleep at home. Often times I had a hard time staying awake on the way home because I was so tired... only to make a measly 30k.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, and your customers will be taken care of. Also you should reconsider your business model. Very few people are willing to pay that much more for their groceries.

Schwan's2016-09-18

"run away as fast as possible"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Nowhere, OK

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good tasting food, good coworkers

Cons

low pay long hours, subjected to unobtainable goals, old business model falling apart, recycled ideas. losing customer base, negative environment, always changing compensation plans never know what to count on for pay, poor job satisfaction

Advice to Management

find a different career choice

Schwan's2016-03-13

"High turnover for a reason"

Customer Service Manager/Route Sales Representative in Chester, VA

I worked at Schwan's for more than 3 years

Pros

I believe in the history of the company and I really enjoyed the customer base and interacting with customers who love the product.

Cons

Management isn't great. I went through 4 managers in 5 years and the only one I liked was let go for putting his family before the job.

Advice to Management

Despite claims on attempts to make the business more RSR oriented, it is still not a family friendly company. I have never met anyone employed with the company for more than 5 years who was happily married (to the same person as when they started working for the company).

Schwan's2015-08-07

"Could have been fun if management weren't lost in their own world."

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Autonomy was one of the best practices. You created your customer base, serviced them systematically, and had the ability to be happy about providing a service that many people enjoyed.

Cons

Being instructed to perform for no less than 12 hours per day became stressful when office time wasn't counted into your hourly work. You were required to be in the office by 8:00 a.m. The problem arrived when you didn't start a daily meeting until 8:30, and it included a 45 minute conference call, at which point, you have already lost an hour and fifteen minutes of sales time. Then, on top of that, you would find that your truck hasn't been loaded yet, you still have inventory to check, and then you have to check the status of your vehicle. So, it's now 10:00, and your leaving the depot. To make things worse, your first stop is an hour away, ergo, you have now lost three full hours of sales time. So, you go throughout the full day, seeing somewhere between 70-100 customers (businesses would have several customers at a time.) and you rushed to see as many business customers before 5:00 and you are left with 15 stops between 5:00 and say 8:00. So, you've seen every customer possible and you return to the depot at 9:00. At which point, you've been working 13 hours, but management makes you feel worthless because you were only seeing customers for 10 of those hours. Management's constant incapacity for making their employees comfortable and content is the worst thing about Schwan's Home Services - I assume it would be those reasons to explain their entire withdrawal from the Southeast United States

Advice to Management

One of the biggest opportunities would be to communicate comfort and performance education to the employees as opposed to make them feel like second class people.

Schwan's2014-08-19

"Very mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Clayton, DE

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount on products (20%) Customer interaction Good quality support on corporate level

Cons

Location general management was insensitive, Co workers critical of each other and unwilling to help weaker members.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to teach the local and district management on the Home Service side how to handle their people. I had 2 major deaths in a 13 month period and the location general management was not sensitive to my needs and expected me to return to work in 3 days. Did not care when economy turned and a lot of customers either stopped service and or reduced their service level. Lost my routes for six months, and when I received them never mind my personal needs for conseling. The location general manager was insensitive. All he cared about was the dollar.

Schwan's2014-03-28

"Opportunity for financial gain is limited"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Lima, OH

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The chance to meet and share stories with hundreds of people on a weekly basis

Cons

The extremely long hours necessary to perform the job are not properly compensated.

Advice to Management

Allow drivers more to adjust schedule to enhance financial gain.

Schwan's2013-01-26

"Good Pay-Ridiculous Hours"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Pay. Started at 38k with opportunity for commission if you were lucky enough to get a solid route that hadn't already been picked clean by surrounding route drivers

Cons

Working 60-70 hours per week with 60 being at the absolute bottom end. I'm told that it was a much better place to work for a family man when Marvin was alive. When he passed and Alfred took over things just got worse and worse.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your CSMs about corporate deciding that they're unable to run their holiday route on a "build day" so must run entire route then the build day and then run the holiday route on the Saturday prior to the holiday. Not a good idea when men are working 65-70 hours per week. That was the final straw for me and I quit.

Schwan's2012-08-24

"Horrible Depot Management"

Customer Service Manager in Bryan, TX

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

Great customers, the joy of the open road all day every day. Employee discount not great but worthwhile. Bascially just the customers were the only reason I kept the job

Cons

16 hour day, misleading from the interview. Unable to ever reach commission goals becuase Depot Manager was always splitting the best customers off my route and giving them to commission based drivers who already had more than enough customers. No recognition for any work done. You do great one day and horrible the rest of the week and you have to work Saturday to make up for nothing at all. Stay away from working for this company.. Keep your life

Advice to Management

Stop taking customers away from others routes, Pay us more or work us less!!! Put good people in the Depot level instead of dropout managers that didnt work elsewhere. Bring the prices down so sales are attainable.

Schwan's2010-11-08

"There's a lot of smoke and mirrors!!!"

Customer Service Manager in Parkville, MO

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

The independence and freedom of being by yourself is nice. The benefits are among the best in the country, and I enjoyed 90% of the customers I had. The food is good and the selection of items are good as well. The uniforms are good and it's nice to be able to wear shorts in the nice weather times of the year. I thought the catalogs were very informative with great pictures.My route truck was one of the best in the fleet.

Cons

Money, money, money. When I was hired in, I was told that I would be at 32 K a year ($615.00 a week) until assigned a route, then I would receive 38 K a year ($730.00 a week). Okay so decent money for the 60 hours a week. I can live with that. However, I was assigned a route in Jan 2010 that was running $2,200 a week. By july, the route was up to $3,800 a week. Not enough to make commission (5850 a week needed) but significant improvement. My LGM promised me in april he would take care of me. Then again in may and june. Well I got tired of working till nine and ten pm and missing out on my family. I did my part to grow the route,(cold calling, dormant lists, upsell, specials, carry bag, etc..) Schweans failed to do their part. Funny, I would still be there if they would have just given me that $6,000 a year raise.

Advice to Management

Just deliver on the promises you make. If you want your reps to work 12 hours a day, then make it worth it. There's no mystery why this company has the turnover it does. Cannot tell you how many of my customers told me, "we've been with schwan's for ten years and you're the tenth person to service us." Can you imagine if you took care of the csm's better how much more customer / employee relations would be? I'd always buy from the same rep but not so much if there was a different person at my door every three to six months. Home service is killing schwan's. good thing the pizza side is making money. What a shame too. I liked the job, but the compensation for the hours offered was a joke.

Schwan's2010-08-16

"Be prepared to be over worked"

Customer Service Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

You get to meet lots of great people, working independently is great, benefits are fantastic and working in good weather is great!

Cons

The hours are horrible! Upper management expects every CSM to work approximately 60hrs a week if not more. The benefits are great, except there is no time to use them. Heavens forbid you get sick, there's no such thing as a personal day, if you call off you have to make it up on a Saturday. Policy's are constantly changing and the trucks are run into the ground causing lots of breakdowns, which you have to make-up missed time on Saturday! There's also no such thing as a snow day... you are out rain, snow, shine, hail, extreme heat, ice etc. If you have no life and don't expect to ever have one, and like working in all types of weather then this can be great

Advice to Management

Even our customers hate the amount of hours we put in. Your employees are not machines, we need breaks too.

Schwan's2010-06-08