Schwan's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 20, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • Great people and upper management has the company going in the right direction (in 34 reviews)

• Good work/life balance (avg 45 hour work week) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, wages not commensurate with the work (in 131 reviews)

• I work about 70 hours a week and I do not feel I have any work life balance (in 37 reviews)

1. "Route Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streetsboro, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streetsboro, OH

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interacting with customers was always the greatest part of the job. First few years on the job were the best as routes were setup as a partnered system whereby a team of two daily worked 8-9hrs each route day; Being a part of new customer acquisition teams worked well in spurts to assist in growing customer base on routes; At one time, middle management were tenured employees who often were promoted from within; Food quality is exceptional

Cons

Continuous change at Corporate level in addition to Regional Managers promoting Area Territory Managers from pool of General Managers outside the food industry who have less than desirable managerial skills; Too much politics at middle management level coming from lackluster leaders who have limited to no food service industry experience

Advice to Management

Cut out middle management leaders who have no business managing people which in turn will cut payroll expense and allow company to put more money towards marketing and growing a larger customer base

2. "RSR"

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Texas, NC
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Texas, NC

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are awesome like a big family.

Cons

Pay cut more hours and no family life due to new management.

Advice to Management

The new Schwan's way isn't working.

"Long time employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshall, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees you work with are great and easy to get along with. Was a great company when ran by the Schwan's family, but once it was turned over to outside CEOs it has went downhill very fast.

Cons

They don't give advancement opportunities within the company like they did in the past. Continually overhauling the upper management with each new CEO, but have yet to find many good leaders. This is a sinking ship, stay away.

"Territory Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Evansville, IN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned, amazing history. Great products and tremendous customer loyalty.

Cons

Politics within the organization are destroying this company. The separation between the "field" and corporate offices creates a huge gap in plan execution.

"route sales rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to practice your sales skills

Cons

broken promises to keep employees from quitting.

Advice to Management

quit lying to the sales force promising shorter days

"Outrageous expectations without adequate equipment"

Former Employee - RSR in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - RSR in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Schwan's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The food is great but pricey, the customers are amazing and the pay was ok. I love driving, great sales experience. Getting paid to talk about food was right up my alley.

Cons

No route changes done-a person could die, leave the country or live there seasonally but you are still expected to stop by their house!!
    If you're in a rural area (or one far from where you operate), don't expect any backup by Schwans or possibly a tow truck or law enforcement.
     You can build a great in town route and be told you're doing a great job then they can give it to the newest guy there and send you out of town with a pay cut, on overnights where there's no phone service. Then if you get externally sexually harassed (in someone's house) they do absolutely nothing!!
    Very difficult for work/life balance, not sure how people with kids can do it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, make changes the RSR requests and get over the insane delivery fee idea. Why punish a long term customer because they didn't order ahead or forgot? Get proper mechanics/emergency backup so RSR's aren't stranded on the road for 6 hours. HHC/mechanical failures hurt everyone's paycheck and leaves customers dissatisfied.

"RSR"

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My costumers and guys I work with. I do like my manager but his hands are tied by upper management.

Cons

Upper management, Marshall M, have no idea how to run a route SALES company. I worked here when Marvin still ran the company, my title was SALES not delivery man. I worked very hard to make a great living for my family. I made to highest award year after year, now there is no more award levels, it's like the lefty's have taken over... they have leveled the playing field. I mean they have screwed the producers by taking commission down to nothing, added $40 more guaranteed to the base, across the board. This means for me I will be losing over $700 a month in income. They take from the top to give to the bottom, they say this is fair???????? I guess it is time to start looking for a new job.

Advice to Management

this is a sales job!!! stop trying to make pay fair!!! reward the producers with commissions!! you are running this great company right into bankruptcy! i'm pretty sure marvin is spinning in his grave, he said, "sales people work on commission not base pay. you should go back to commission only, 15 to 20% no matter the amount run. and for the love of pete stop charging your customers to buy your products. by charging your costumers you have down sized the costumer base, then blamed the route guys. you have ruined a great company, it's very sad.something to think about... ex. $700 route day @ 15% = $105per day x 5 =$525 or $700 route day @ 20% = $140per day x 5 = $700.

"Tough Way to Earn a Living"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Bryan, TX

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount on the food!
    Mon-Friday work week

Cons

Awful pay structure, inability to grow sales if stuck on majority of rural routes in low income areas.
    Worked an average of 55-60 hours/week minimum.

Advice to Management

Shorten hours, pay for advertising.

"Good money for part time but..."

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Schwan's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independent work, set own schedule, Good money

Cons

Hard physical work, store employees difficult to deal with, no guidance or raises from supervisors

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your merchandisers. I had surgery and went out on medical leave after working there for a year and a half, and nobody even asked how it went. I had to resign and my supervisor never contacted corporate. Never a Christmas card or bonus of any kind. I never felt acknowledged as a human there.

"Such an odd company"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes the pay was good, the customers.

Cons

This company is confused and has an identity problem. At the time I was working there, very long hours. The manager I had was no good. not all are like this. some good ones out there.

Advice to Management

If your a sucky manager, quit. Let some one of cares about the customers and your employees run the show.