Schwan's Reviews | Glassdoor

Schwan's Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people and upper management has the company going in the right direction (in 34 reviews)

• Good work/life balance (avg 45 hour work week) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, wages not commensurate with the work (in 131 reviews)

• I work about 70 hours a week and I do not feel I have any work life balance (in 37 reviews)

"Good money for part time but..."

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Schwan's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independent work, set own schedule, Good money

Cons

Hard physical work, store employees difficult to deal with, no guidance or raises from supervisors

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your merchandisers. I had surgery and went out on medical leave after working there for a year and a half, and nobody even asked how it went. I had to resign and my supervisor never contacted corporate. Never a Christmas card or bonus of any kind. I never felt acknowledged as a human there.

"general manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good company people are the greatest asset

Cons

Large food company prudent and slow to change

"customer sales rep"

Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great company great benefits great pay

Cons

long hours , some times management takes too long to make changes

Advice to Management

don't take so long to make changes that affect employees

"If I could only give negative stars..."

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Xenia, OH
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Xenia, OH

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great customers, and fellow RSR's

Cons

List is overwhelmingly large. Overpriced food, Management that has no clue how to actually do the job because they haven't done it themselves. Awful work hours!! You will end up making less than minimum wage due to hours worked. All founding principals of this company no longer exist. ZERO incentives. ZERO company moral. unsafe equipment.

Advice to Management

Do the job you're managing first.

"Look at all the former employee lawsuits out there before you consider jumping onboard this sinking ship."

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay check, there is so much carrot dangling and b.s. it's really hard to find positives.
    The customer do understand and often provide a shoulder to cry on.

Cons

The lies bad management lack of scruples, nothing no paycheck validates how bad the managers are. Lots of shorts inventories don't jive. Established routes are constructed fabrications. Still have lots of photos on my phone of empty lots' houses for sale, GPS locations in the middle of nowhere. I end up feeling bad for the people that remember this company when the family still ran it. They are the only reason this company is still around aside from being an umbrella company for the fast majority of frozen food in the country. Really this is a customer service job if the food was on the trucks and drivers' weren't treated like crap. And if you ( as an employee) didn't have to face some micro managing windbag old sales (used car selling zombie) manager that has to validate his bloated salary to a failing company trying to cut cost. Well company might come back to its former glory. Nothing prepares you for how bad this can really be!!!!

Advice to Management

To any family members pull in the reigns your customers deserve more honest people looking for work shouldn't be put through this. Just google employee lawsuits against Schwans' look at the Glassdoor reviews it's really bad!!!!

"DECEPTION, LIES, and LITTLE Pay"

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Gretna, LA
    Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Gretna, LA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people and building solid work relationships with them. Working alone and being able to have some sort of independence.

Cons

Lack of management, pay structure, hours, rundown trucks, associate consideration, and most of all integrity. When I was hired I was very hopeful in my earning power and in the companies brand name. It wasn't long after that I became aware of the lack of integrity this company operates with. It was all for show, from safety meetings, training, road tests, monthly quizzes, "team efforts", sincere care for the customer, and or respect for the product. The complete lack of food safety, from the temperate of the freezers, to the handling of the product, to the cleanliness of the system of delivering. All these aspects were below or extremely below any par that a successful company should be operating with.

Advice to Management

Be appreciative, communicate, honest, and support the employees you have working for you. Training was a joke and an honest willingness to develop a team environment was completely non-existent. I sincerely have never witnessed so many adults in a professional environment just going through the motions, truly saddening.

"Such an odd company"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes the pay was good, the customers.

Cons

This company is confused and has an identity problem. At the time I was working there, very long hours. The manager I had was no good. not all are like this. some good ones out there.

Advice to Management

If your a sucky manager, quit. Let some one of cares about the customers and your employees run the show.

"Safety obsessed culture"

Former Employee - Systems Developer in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - Systems Developer in Marshall, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Cost of living is super low in Marshall - I paid ~500/mo in rent with no roommates
    - CEO sets the tone consistently and the BU leaders are in lock step with him
    - Staff has a huge depth of knowledge and experience
    - IT and HR and other support functions are phenomenal, never had a hitch with them, which is way different from other companies I have been with
    - Employee discount and store are excellent perks, as is the newer profit share initiative
    - Huge on safety, which is probably due to a poor track record in that area, but makes for a fun and safe environment

Cons

- Staff is generally older, and somewhat low energy
    - Hard to get recognized for your work
    - Minimal promotions available and they often go to external applicants
    - Will cut benefits without warning, not sure if I can legally give specifics but this was a huge morale killer
    - Timesheets were expected to be practically down to the minute and there were too many demands in that respect

Advice to Management

Consider promoting from within. Open up the possibility to moving staff around to adjacent roles or teams to keep the work fresh and combat tribalistic attitudes. Ease off the timesheet requirements.

"Sales"

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun away from the depot . No risk. Lower mgmt ok. Awesome products. They are concerned about safety.

Cons

Pay is changing better for the lazy bad for those willing to work.

Advice to Management

Don't be so my way or the highway. Listen to the people in the field

"RSR"

Current Employee - CSM in Pampa, TX
    Current Employee - CSM in Pampa, TX

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The customers are the pro's for this job, you get to meet people you never would have otherwise. 80% of my customer base are good friends. This, makes it very easy to ensure they buy each time! I, talk to them and tell them the specials and sales, easy to tell them about on-line specials. I, personally took pre-orders at the door and would send these in to my mgr. (before it was banned).!! If, I missed a customer... I, would call them!!! I, Knew them! they expected my call. I, would not just say, "Do you need anything this week"?. I, would let them know I was going to be there at such/such time, and let them know to have their order ready. They, would always, always order!

Cons

Top mgmt!! They took away: Me sending in a phone pre-order!..It, takes an act of congress to have a customer removed..(They in upper mgmt. think I have no clue!! If a customer is buying, I am there!! If, they no longer want our service, I am not there!! Simple!! Why, would I ever not service a customer who wants to buy??). Marketing has taken over the company......It has led to our being in our current position(High turn over, losing customers).. Our great, loyal customers hate turn-over at the RSR level. They just quit buying!! It, takes months to win them back over! But,...once we do...mgmt. comes up with (3.99, win-back for bad customers not good customers, but ones who are hard to find at home or no-longer want our service!) Our, good customers find out they are not getting the best sales...they are mad!! Again, top mgmt. makes a direction...we, as rsr's have to fix all the crap they have created!! OH! , top mgmt. likes to say " We are doing this in an effort to reduce your work hours"! Heck, I have so much junk to explain to each of my customers, my day expanded!!! The number one thing that irks me the most!!! DO NOT BE AT THE DEPOT BEFORE 8PM!!!! BS!!!!! I, could run my route, make any necessary call backs, sell 1500.00$ and be done for the day. They, want us to build at 6;00pm?? Pitch dark now!! I'm, not doing it!!! OH! mgmt.. sets the schedule you have to follow each day!!! I, have group stops that require me to be there at 1:00pm...not 1:00ish!!! Our route manifest does not take in any way any special considerations as to customer service time (but we are held accountable for the service time!). This, probable sounds crazed...it is!! Add in the old outdated equipment, undependable fleet, top mgmt. screwing up (and covering it up by adding more crap for our RSR to do list), this job now stinks. You, do as you are told! You are not successful, you are replaced. Marketing, is justifying there jobs by putting non-buying, no-longer living, moved accounts on the routes...They say "Well, if they were not home...How do you have a disposition??, SOB....They died, moved, house blown-in during a tornado!!! Upper mgmt has a different approach...a few of them (very few) have been out in the field. In, the old days, if a customer was no longer interested..remove them and move on!! Now, marketing puts them back on the route to waste your time!!!

Advice to Management

'Start making some sense already!!! How many stupid people do you have working for you at the TOP / Middle / Depot level??? I, am tired of fixing your problems you have created!! Do you think giving a 1 time free delivery is working??? It is not!!!