Schwan's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • long hours, wages not commensurate with the work (in 131 reviews)

• Work/Life balance could use adjusting (in 38 reviews)

1. "pre sell"

Pros

able to work at your own pace

Cons

pay is not worth it

2. "Overworked, but management pretty good!"

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with and for, but believe the company cuts to many corners!

Cons

Need more staffing and better compensation plan!

Advice to Management

Do more to keep your current good employees, if not turnover will increase!

"RSR"

Current Employee - RSR
    Current Employee - RSR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts, employees in depot. work independently.

Cons

Promise you a route at end of training. Doesn't happen. They make you travel all over state and stay in hotels as a Sub. This means you have NO ROUTE thus they pay you ZERO Commissions! You have to live off of base pay only but you must still run routes, and get new customers. Same as those with a route. TOTAL BS! Heard they will keep you in that position for a year or longer! All commissions go to the Company because you "Technically" do not have a route. SCAM! Enjoy working 12+ hours a day for same pay as a McD's worker then apply!

Advice to Management

Stop lying to new RSR just to get bodies to help run routes so you don't have to. Increase each product price 25 cents or whatever needed and Drop Delivery Fee. Customers are PO'd and dropping out like flies!

"Area Manager"

Pros

Good route sales representatives, 5 day work week, paid holidays.

Cons

Long hours, lack of support from higher management, route re-engineering creates lack of interaction with customers.

Advice to Management

Add more sales reps, so each route has 45- 50 customers a day, instead of 70-80. Get Area Managers off routes and working with their team to build it.

"warehouse manager"

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the food along with the employee discounts,

Cons

Management. While trying to cut expenses they have eliminated positions, the culture of the company. Upper management's 3 year plan to turn around the company will only benefit the Nestle people brought in from the outside. they will leave after 3 years having pillaged the Schwans company, destroying what it has stood for over the last 60 years, losing huge percentage of its customer base, and walking away with heavily lined pockets leaving the company in ruin.

Advice to Management

listen to the customers and the employees who actually service them.

"Route Relief Driver"

I worked at Schwan's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

liked the early start hours

Cons

delivering to Wal-Mart was never easy

"Mixed"

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great food, inspiring UPPER MANAGEMENT, never a dull moment, great employee discount.

Cons

It really varies. There are some amazing leaders at the depot level from the AM and some amazing assistant managers (SOS's) if you are considering a career here look at the depots turnover rate. They aren't leaving the company, they are leaving that specific manager. I have seen solid managers that bring out the best in their people and I have seen managers that say all the right things but their depot performance contradicts them. Those are the worst. My experience for the most part has been great, unfortunately I work under a poor leader who is in good standing with his boss for some reason. I deal with constant stress from the drivers distaste from him and his constant lies to his superiors. I do not feel that there is an open door policy to discuss this with anyone. I can only hope the company looks at glassdoor and gets some insight. I work about 70 hours a week and I do not feel I have any work life balance. I do not feel support from my manager. He has a reputation for being weird, it's embarrassing. It's difficult to work for someone you know doesn't care about you and is holding you back.

Advice to Management

Talk to your driver's privately. Build trust that they can voice their concerns with you without fear of losing their job or mistreatment. Investigate bad employees, their behavior is a direct result of frustration. Conduct exit interviews. Reward the hidden gems. We are here waiting. We live for this company but it's hard to keep the faith. Question AM's that always make up excuses for misconduct. All it takes is bad leadership to sink the entire ship.

"Money"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bedford, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bedford, IN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Pay and treatment is good

Cons

Long hours no family life

9. "Sales merchandiser"

Current Employee - Sales Merchandiser in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Merchandiser in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Schwan's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, good mileage reimbursement, freedom to log your own hours, be your own boss as long as you do your job.

Cons

Hours cap, they usually don't like you going more than 20-25 hours a week. Not many advancement opportunities. Weekend coverage work and early endcap fillings

Advice to Management

More opportunities for advancement

"Schwan's (Nestle Waters)"

Former Employee - Area Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Area Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Schwan's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work along side a lot of good people! Really sad to see so many good people being taken advantage of.

Cons

Upper management is all ex Nestle employees. They all left Nestle but you never hear the end of it. I am sure Marvin Schwan's has rolled over in his grave many times. Schwan's will cut every area possible at the employees expense. Constant new managers who should be jailed how they treat employees. Human Resources and top management sweep everything under the rug. I am surprised an increase in lawsuits hasn't happened yet. Extremely long hours at under market pay. Constant micro managing from supervisors. Work Life balance is a false promise, every Schwan's man will tell you their home life is horrible! Talk to the children of the employees they will tell you they never see their mom or dad. My kid called me Mom every weekend for 5 years, by Monday morning he would start calling me dad again. It is really sad to think of all the years I lost with my son to this company. The 3rd best day in my life was when I quit Schwan's after 10 years. My family threw me a big party and were so happy to have their husband and dad back. If you care about your family you will find another job.

Advice to Management

There is no hope for you. Read all these reviews.