Schwan's "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Schwan's Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Dec 3, 2019

2.7
Schwan's CEO Dimitrios Smyrnios (no image)
Dimitrios Smyrnios
Pros
  • "Schwan's has a very supportive work environment that is surrounded by great people(in 47 reviews)

• "Good pay and benefits, no boss down your throat(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "long hours now insensitive to stay working there(in 168 reviews)

• "upper management is misleading when it comes to promotions or raises(in 57 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Move product an load trucks"

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Walton, KY

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great hours an great people

Cons

Cold work environment for long periods of time

Schwan's2019-12-03

"Great Company to Work for!"

Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Good work environment. Great people. Good work life balance. Decent opportunity for growth.

Cons

Low salary. Not a desirable location to work in.

Schwan's2019-07-20
  3. "Sos"

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

None, great pace to work

Schwan's2018-11-13

"Don’t Do It"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Washington, PA

I worked at Schwan's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base pay is reasonable. Being out on a route, you get to meet new people and develop a rapport with most of them. I really met some great people, and stayed aquatinted with some of them even after leaving the company. The food discounts are pretty good. Management at the Washington depot in PA, fantastic. Very easy to work for, and probably the only reason I stayed longer than 2 months. Healthcare benefits are... expensive for families. Good quality, but pricey.

Cons

Your managers, (the ones supposed to be helping the new person along the way, but they don’t. They’re too busy filling in for all of the open routes at other depots. The commission scale. It’s terrible. The entire system is stacked against you as far as making money. Let’s put it this way, there is money to be made as an RSR, however you’d have to work 5 days a week, at least 10 hour days or more. They talk about... how they want to shorten the shifts for all RSR’s, and get them home early and still make money, but it will never happen. You will work from 10am until 8 or 9pm daily. If you’re finishing your day sooner than that, you’re not doing your job or making money. When you’re interviewing, upper management will tell you stories of RSR’s who make 75-100k a year and work normal, daytime shifts. Keep in mind, these are literally 1% or less of current employees, and are not common. People who make that much money at Schwans are upper management, or 20 plus year employees. The trucks are falling apart (most of them), and new ones are starting to file in very slowly. Uniforms are very dated, and you’ll be issued pre owned pants a shirt.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get your people in early, and still make decent money. Buy more trucks! Better quality uniforms (and new ones), better recruiting efforts to fill vacant positions with the right candidate, not the only one.

Schwan's2018-06-04

"Route Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pretty good discount on food. Don’t have to pay for gas or the trucks. Paid holidays. A lot of really great people you meet out on routes. Possible unexpected tips from customers. Great co-workers.

Cons

Where do I start! The food: it’s still pretty good but they’re cutting cost at every possible moment. Everything is getting smaller! And they take away great selling food to bring out something that doesn’t sell very well at all. The trucks: you don’t have to pay for them, but they are never fixed right. You break down and get towed in more than you should. The company: they used to care about their employees.... Now, they don’t. They tell you things you want to hear (example: they told us they are re-engineering the routes to make your customers closer together so you can get through the route more efficiently and get home to your family. But re-engineering only worked for a few places, and you still never get to see your family. Meetings everyday at 9:30 and your out till past 8 or they yell at you for being in early). Used to be fun and simple and they just make things complicated anymore. Delivery fee still an issue for a lot of customers! I know they don’t want to hear it but they really messed up when they raised they fee and make people go online or call in their orders. No family time except weekends and holidays. Commission isn’t they great either. Mass majority of my depot runs in the 3% range. So you make a base pay which is about minimum wage when you think about your hours and an average of about $150 dollars commission for the week. Your add on new business but loss customers as much as you gain. The food is good, but kind of expensive on a lot of things. And prices keep going up.

Advice to Management

Lower the at the door delivery fee. Make the food something worth buying again and value your employees, especially your RSRs. They make your paycheck just as much as they make theirs. You’ll see that once you strike those off the list, you will see profit again like it was years ago. If you keep up what your doing, you’ll run it into the ground like many before you have. You have a chance now to make that change... before it’s to late. Quit focusing on yourselves and focus on customers and RSRs.

Schwan's2018-06-11
  6. "Good Company/Bad Work/Life Balance"

I have been working at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Be prepared to work! Work/Life balance is much less than desirable.

Schwan's2018-02-21

"Schwan's is an amazing place to work!"

Intern Marketing in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Schwan's for less than a year

Pros

Schwan's has a very supportive work environment that is surrounded by great people. The company pays very well and rewards you for your efforts.

Cons

There were no cons of working at Schwan's besides my personal commute and the metropolitan traffic.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep hiring people who align with the culture and stay true to the company's values.

Schwan's2018-01-19

"Overwhelming"

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

New equipment rollout, employee discount, good training , great people

Cons

Hours of operation, route sequence, constant truck breakdowns, managers always seem defeated, overworked, depressed, and really don't get any work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Please stop insisting we have to follow route sequence. Especially when we drive by a house to get to a stop only to find we now have to backtrack and drive a mile BACK to the house we just passed. This is NOT rare. I have calculated this adds on 40 additional minutes to my day. Also, please stop lying and acting like you are doing any of us drivers a favor by giving us a paid holiday off. The policy is BS. Yes we... get Christmas off, but guess what, now you are going to work this Saturday since you got Monday off. It's insane and 100% of the drivers hate it. Go back to a 4 week callback when there is a holiday. Sales were better than a Saturday makeup. We work all week long and the weekend is all the time most of us have for family, shopping, rest.

Schwan's2017-12-27
  9. "Sales representative"

I have been working at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Long hours, minimal support