Schwan's "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

Schwan's Reviews

Updated Jan 17, 2020

2.7
Schwan's Chief Executive Officer Dimitrios Smyrnios (no image)
Dimitrios Smyrnios

"Route Sales Rep"

I worked at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Base pay and commission is nice.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Almost impossible to have time off.

Schwan's2018-11-17

"Route sales representative"

I have been working at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Can be a fun job once you get to know your route and customers. Good benefits

Cons

Long hours 10:00 to 8:00 if you run in time. I usually would run late by about an hour then closed the day. Get home between 9:30/10:00 pm. Not a great position for a family

Schwan's2018-10-07

"Avoid unless you have no homelife"

I worked at Schwan's full-time

Pros

I found literally NO Pros

Cons

Long Hours and Low Pay

Schwan's2018-11-27

"RUN in the opposite direction as fast as you can!"

Current Employee - CSD - RSR in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well, their checks don't bounce, so I guess that's a good thing. You get 2 days off in a row during the week... that's only of course if they don't ask you to go in and do extra shifts throwing pizza during the weekends, which is more common. than you think

Cons

Where do I start??? Being in this company is like being in a toxic relationship. They harass you constantly by calling and texting at all hours of the day and night. You get holidays off... well, not really because you have to make up for that day off by working Saturday. No paid sick days. Health insurance is awful, so expensive and it doesn't even cover much - huge co-pays, etc. People in the warehouse are childish and petty and will do everything they can to make your truck load impossible to work with. Overkill on the safety policies . One mess up and you're GONE. It's literally impossible to deliver to all the stores they require on a route if you practice all their safety rules. All trucks are governed at 55. Yes, even if you drive to Pocatello where it's 80 on a 2 lane highway. You still go 55. Dangerous! All they care about is themselves and saving every penny they can, even if that means costing you hours more a day and a lot of grief. Micromanagement, low pay comparable to other like companies, long hours, frustrating work, no sick pay, no pay raises. This company sucks. They desperately need to unionize. Not for the companies sake, but for the employees sake. They can't keep people for anyone. Several people quit over the past 4 months. They are desperate for help and it shows. Funny thing is, they think it's a problem with the people they're hiring, as if they are hiring the "right" people. No, it's not the employees with the problem. It's Schwans.

Advice to Management

FIRE CURRENT UPPER MANAGEMENT AND HIRE NEW MANAGEMENT WHO UNDERSTAND HOW TO RUN A SUCCESSFUL COMPANY. Lesson 101: When you treat your employees good (not overworking them, paying them a good, competitive wage, giving them incentives rather than threats, make people feel part of a positive team, and get over your greed and hunger for power and control, the company will reap the benefit! You'd see amazing change in your employees. Strong employees = strong company. There's no other way around it. Sorry Schwans. But you just don't get it. Probably never will.

Schwan's2018-11-13

"Fun work and great customers."

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Customers, good benefits, awesome coworkers and lots of freedom during your work day. Good relationships built with customers.

Cons

Long hours, upper management/Corporate does not have a good concept of how running route actually plays out and expects results that could only be accomplished by adding even more time to your already 12-14 hour day. Advancements in pay and position very difficult to attain.

Advice to Management

Run a route for a month to understand day to day of RSR better. Change commissions to better reward successful routes. Be more positive and encouraging to RSRs

Schwan's2018-09-29

"Use to be a great company!"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Weekends off*( occasional holidays would be ran on a Saturday. ) Out in the field by yourself. Benefits. Great coworkers. Good pay.

Cons

Long hours. (10-12) Lack of management. Poor management. Faulty equipment. High turnover for new hires.

Advice to Management

Having one manager per two depots was a huge mistake. An acting area manager cannot balance 16+ employees and their situations that come with the job. Yet, there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Bring back managers. Also, lowering the commissions and upping the base pay caused the driven employees to lack ambition. Bring back chairman's club and sales.

Schwan's2018-10-10

"After 3 years I got out"

Former Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Parkville, MO

I worked at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Only pro there was was meeting customers.

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance.You will not see your family at all during the week.Benefits are a joke.You will work your butt off for this company but be hounded,treated like crap and be expected to reach insane standards they set.Absolutely no one at the home office has a clue what it's like to be out in the field yet make decisions every day that affect those who are.You will miss your lunch,not be able to eat dinner with your family.No raises,long hours,junk equipment,micro managing,no future.DO NOT make the mistake of working here EVER.No job on Earth is worth the misery these people put you through.I was not lazy,worked very hard,I was on a hard route but still sold $600-$1000 every day only to be treated like crap.So glad I'm done.

Advice to Management

They DO NOT listen,never will.

Schwan's2018-09-22

"RSR"

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

Good team at the depot. Good product to sell. The customers are great.

Cons

Extremely long hours. When I was being hired I was told I’d be working from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. I was told that I could maintain my part time job in the mornings and on weekends. The actuality was meetings that started at 8:00 a.m. and trainings that required being in depot at 9:30 a.m. These extra hours happened often, many times more than twice a week. when these extra hours were required there was no extra pay for the extra hours. And I was still required to work a full route day in addition to the extra hours. It ended up taking money out of my pocket to spend the extra required time at the depot. And working part time in the mornings at my side job was impossible. My average return time to the depot was 9:30-10:00 p.m. not 8:00 p.m. as was represented while I was being hired. I am efficient and good at my job. It was simply not possible to make it back to the depot by 8:00 and none of the other RSR’s were able to either. So it wasn’t just my route with this issue. Once back to the depot there was about 30-45 more minutes of paperwork and a drive to the bank to deposit the days cash and checks. This was not optional, we were required to use our own vehicles to deliver the deposits without compensation. In reality my day started between 8:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and ended between 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. depending on the route day. One other unexpected thing was Schwans requiring me to use my personal cell and cell number without compensation of any kind. Not only was this required but they dictated what could be texted and said when I called from my phone on my time. The commission was misrepresented at the time of being hired and the pay was extremely low for the number of hours required. I was told that hitting 7% commission on the volume of my daily sales was expected. The reality was 3% on an adjusted volume of sales each day. Usually I had between 150$-250$ of my volume removed from commissionable sales. This is standard within Schwans but it was misrepresented during the hiring process. During my 2 years as an RSR there were a total of about 6 weeks within the depot where RSR’s made more than the 3% commission. The 5% and 7% commission tier is a pipe dream and unrealistic. This was misrepresented as well during the hiring process.

Advice to Management

The glory days of Schwans are gone. Today’s company is a shadow of what it once was. It’s a shame you’ve done this to yourselves. How many years was your turnover rate over 100%? I’m not sure you can turn this ship around. One of the saddest stories in recent mismanagement history. In my business class they used Schwans’ fall from grace as an example of corporate mismanagement after the founder is gone.

Schwan's2018-06-04

"Route Driver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murdo, SD

I worked at Schwan's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, sales route directly determined by your own motivation, great company support.

Cons

Long hours can make it difficult on for family time.

Schwan's2018-05-14

"Great"

I worked at Schwan's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management was good to work with

Cons

Long hours can be hard

Schwan's2018-05-13